McLaren 650S - 625C - 675LT- 675LT Spider

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 270 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
It will be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show.

original.jpg

Supposedly it will have 650 HP and maybe based on the 12C.

Last edited:
This is unlikely to be the P15 and more likely to be the rumoured hardcore version of the 12C.
Autocar
McLaren has previewed its third supercar, dubbed 650S, ahead of the Geneva motor show with a preview shot showing the model’s name badge.

The 650S will be a new production model based on the 12C, featuring extensive styling changes, including a P1-style nose, and will be engineered to have more character than the existing car.

The ‘650’ name is thought to refer to the 650ps (641bhp) output of the tweaked twin-turbo 3.8-litre V8 engine. By comparison, the standard car gets 616bhp from the same powerplant, with a top speed of 204mph and a 0-60mph time of 3.2 seconds.

Two versions will be available, one with a ‘carbon kit’ to further distinguish the car’s looks. Sources say a 12C replacement, which will be heavily influenced by the 650S, will be shown later this year. The new model isdestined to rival the Ferrari 458 Speciale, which has 597bhp on tap from its V8 engine.

Official pricing for the 650S has yet to be announced, but it's likely to cost around £20,000 more than the £176,000 12C coupé. It's expected that most buyers in the UK will opt for the new model over the standard 12C when it goes on sale.

The introduction of the 650S means McLaren's product portfolio continues to grow. As well as its current crop of models, the company is also working on an entry-level model to rival the Porsche 911, dubbed P13, and a new supercar to sit between the 12C and P1, named P15.

So based on the report above, it sounds like a more open production version of the High Sport & probably have a few Special Operations options as standard.

[pure speculation]

Wait a second. This is the only thing Mclaren has said themselves, from their press release:

Designed and developed to offer the enthusiast driver the ultimate in luxury, engagement and excitement, as well as dramatic yet beautiful styling.

Could the 'S' in this case stand for Saloon or Sedan? There is no mention of the ultimate in performance. The first superlative, in fact, is luxury. Why would that be the first if it's a supercar? Add to the fact that the teaser image shows absolutely nothing but the logo, and I bet we will see something quite different. S is unprecedented nomenclature (as far as I know) for Mclaren, could it perhaps signify an unprecedented product type? We've seen F, M (quite a bit) and P. Never S. If I were a betting man...

[/pure speculation]

In the "New McLaren F1 Starts Tests" thread, I said:

I think, in order for me to love this, I must wipe my memory of knowing what the MP4-12C and P1 look like.

(otherwise it just leaves a bad impression)

But I just remembered there were other cars who did a similar thing for the exterior styling. Nissan Sileighty, for example. And I loved that.

But this one still doesn't work so well on me...hmm...

So somehow Mclaren have made the boring looking 12C ugly by gluing the P1 nose onto it. I'm sure it'll demolish the 458 Speciale which it will ultimately be compared to.

Eventually the 12C is going to get the same headlights. After all, they resemble the McLaren Logo.

They really couldn't be bothered to design a different rear end?

Um... so is it a renamed, barely redesigned 12C? Or will the 12C continue being made? Cause its basically the same thing...
McLaren, wth are you doing?

Um... so is it a renamed, barely redesigned 12C? Or will the 12C continue being made? Cause its basically the same thing...
McLaren, wth are you doing?

They're making a more hardcore 12C, think of it as a 458 Speciale competitor. Would have made more sense to call it the '12C 650S' rather than positioning it as a new model.

I guess we'll find out just how much of an improvement that P1 front end is when they start getting track times on them. 'Til' then, for something that's supposed to go head to head against the 458S (& Huracan), I still think they should developed the High Sport for a larger production output. It already sported 75Hp over stock & has nearly everything out of the Special Operations catalog.
8678351161_5b0cbf774a_b.jpg

I guess I am one of the few who really liked the 12c look, but eventhough I have to admit that its front end looks really outdated by now, more like a F430 competitor than a 458 one.

I can understand them using a design similar to the P1 to raise brand awareness, BMW/Audi/Mercedes and even modern Ferraris cars do the same (458, FF, F12, LaFerrari).

I quite like this one so far, is it supposed to be a 458 speciale competitor or some kind of facelift for the 12c platform?

As far as I know, there was another 12C that was designed to compete with the Speciale. This is more of a general update.

This is no update for the 12C.
This is the third car and between the 12C and the P1.
Of course it's good to raise brand awareness but this is to simple for car with a price tag above the 12C imo.

This is no update for the 12C.
This is the third car and between the 12C and the P1.
Of course it's good to raise brand awareness but this is to simple for car with a price tag above the 12C imo.

I have to agree. Seems weird that I would have to spend this kind of money that screams "I couldn't afford the P1 so I settled for the knockoff". Way too lazy design.

Back