Lamborghini Asterion Concept

• Thread starter JMoney
  • 176 comments
United States
N. Jessamine, KY
JMoney-689
Woodside689
The CEO of Lambo recently stated in an interview with Top Gear Magazine that the company is working on a third car for the lineup. What will it be?

What it will probably be is an SUV based on the Urus concept, using a VW/Audi/Porsche platform. Hopefully powered by a V10 or V12.

What I want it to be is something never attempted before: a hypercar with a flat-16 naturally aspirated engine (or something like that). A car so outrageous only Lamborghini could build it right. A car that could beat McLaren, Porsche, and Ferrari with unconventional engineering, and still be mass-produced.

9/17 Update:

Lamborghini has announced a new car will be revealed at the 2014 Paris Motor Show. The following image was released:
lambo preview.png

10/1 Update:

The car has been confirmed to be the Asterion, sporting an Aventador chassis, Huracan engine, and electric motors for a total of 897 hp. If produced it will be the most powerful production car ever produced by the VAG.

ewypnm8tb83w1rxmlvic.jpg

Last edited:
What I want it to be is something never attempted before: a hypercar with a flat-16 naturally aspirated engine (or something like that). A car so outrageous only Lamborghini could build it right. A car that could beat McLaren, Porsche, and Ferrari with unconventional engineering, and still be mass-produced.
:rolleyes: Okay.

I think it'll most likely be the Urus. Errbody be makin SUVs!

And about the Laferrari/P1/918 competitor I thought they already had the Venevo?

The CEO of Lambo recently stated in an interview with Top Gear Magazine that the company is working on a third car for the lineup. What will it be?

What it will probably be is an SUV based on the Urus concept, using a VW/Audi/Porsche platform. Hopefully powered by a V10 or V12.

What I want it to be is something never attempted before: a hypercar with a flat-16 naturally aspirated engine (or something like that). A car so outrageous only Lamborghini could build it right. A car that could be McLaren, Porsche, and Ferrari with unconventional engineering, and still be mass-produced.
Isn't it the Veneno? It's just a prettied up Aventador, I thought.

Well, they are only making 12 of them, so it's not exactly comparable. I'd want something more practical than the Veneno.

I don't think Lamborghini's customers care much if their car is "green". Even in hybrid hypercars, the electric motors are there to make the car faster, and in the 918's case, break the Nurburgring record. Not to make it green.

Isn't it the Veneno? It's just a prettied up Aventador, I thought.

I thought it was a gody version not at all pretty and just something for collectors to say they have a one of four tuned special edition aventador that isn't an "aventador"

It'll be an SUV. They'll make loads of money on them, and will look greener.

How will they make loads of money? They're not in the same price range as the others to begin with and making an SUV under a 150k I highly doubt.

You're absolutely right, and I find it hilarious that making an SUV makes anyone look green, ever. :D
I know, sounds odd, but somehow they're classified differently so an SUV will look greener than a car that emits the same emissions.
How will they make loads of money? They're not in the same price range as the others to begin with and making an SUV under a 150k I highly doubt.
China.

It'll be an SUV. They'll make loads of money on them, and will look greener.

I know, sounds odd, but somehow they're classified differently so an SUV will look greener than a car that emits the same emissions.

China.

Yeah that still doesn't help them compete with other SUV of the class that are less and just as powerful. China isn't enough especially considering how much they seem to love Porsche. It may have helped GM stay afloat during the tarp payments but they actually had several cars not just one...

Something like this, perhaps?

89_Lamborghini-LM002-DV-10-RMM-07.jpg

I love that thing.
You must have loved how most times it didn't work...or needed repairs. Also that was the joke

Yeah that still doesn't help them compete with other SUV of the class that are less and just as powerful. China isn't enough especially considering how much they seem to love Porsche. It may have helped GM stay afloat during the tarp payments but they actually had several cars not just one...
People will buy it. You're underestimating the power of Lamborghini Styling and a Lamborghini badge. A car that expensive isn't purchased because it's logical, it's because the owner wants something fast, luxurious, cool, or all of the above. Rich people buy a lot of SUVs (Range Rover, Cayenne, etc.) and a lot of Lambos. So combining them should result in many sales.
Also that was the joke
Any excuse to post an LM002!

I don't think Lamborghini's customers care much if their car is "green". Even in hybrid hypercars, the electric motors are there to make the car faster, and in the 918's case, break the Nurburgring record. Not to make it green.
Not for customers, for the EU ;)

Last edited:
People will buy it. You're underestimating the power of Lamborghini Styling and a Lamborghini badge. A car that expensive isn't purchased because it's logical, it's because the owner wants something fast, luxurious, cool, or all of the above. Rich people buy a lot of SUVs (Range Rover, Cayenne, etc.) and a lot of Lambos. So combining them should result in many sales.

Read it again, no where do I say it wont sale, perhaps you have a hidden love/bias for Lamborghini, but the reality is they will still be outsold by their less expensive counterparts. The problem is if you plan to use logic as a reason or lack of it rather, but building a purpose used SUV is done for logical reasons. To build an SUV and expect people to buy it on the same premise they buy your super cars usually means you wont get too many. The Cayenne, Touareg(major seller in china also), Q7, Range Rover, X5 and X6, and Benz

They are claiming 3000 units a year, so they obviously want to sell this more mainstream than you seem to think. And yet the business model they displayed for the past decade will work how? Either it sells in range to be competitive with the others which I don't see them doing, or they do what you say and only sells close to enough in the first year. Also who told you rich people buy alot of SUVs? Upper Middle class isn't rich just better off than most but by no way rich...

Read it again, no where do I say it wont sale, perhaps you have a hidden love/bias for Lamborghini, but the reality is they will still be outsold by their less expensive counterparts. The problem is if you plan to use logic as a reason or lack of it rather, but building a purpose used SUV is done for logical reasons. To build an SUV and expect people to buy it on the same premise they buy your super cars usually means you wont get too many. The Cayenne, Touareg(major seller in china also), Q7, Range Rover, X5 and X6, and Benz

They are claiming 3000 units a year, so they obviously want to sell this more mainstream than you seem to think. And yet the business model they displayed for the past decade will work how? Either it sells in range to be competitive with the others which I don't see them doing, or they do what you say and only sells close to enough in the first year. Also who told you rich people buy alot of SUVs? Upper Middle class isn't rich just better off than most but by no way rich...
Sorry, I misunderstood a bit. 3000 units a year seems pretty realistic to me. I really do believe that there are enough people with enough money who want a big, flashy, powerful SUV. Cayenne Turbo? And if SUVs of this price bracket are such a bad business proposition, why is Bentley working on one as well?

Sorry, I misunderstood a bit. 3000 units a year seems pretty realistic to me. I really do believe that there are enough people with enough money who want a big, flashy, powerful SUV. Cayenne Turbo? And if SUVs of this price bracket are such a bad business proposition, why is Bentley working on one as well?

Once again you can't compare what has so far been released and speculated for this to an existing line up that has various options. If the turbo and turbo S that are both under 150k as I mentioned this would need to be, aren't normal and Porsche realizes that hence the diesel variants, the S and GTS and platinum edition and base model that are well under a 100k and less than most full size american premium SUVs or on par.

If there is niche for super suvs then Lamborghini will probably be the first to enter with a 200+ nearly 600 hp monster. Problem is if there was a market why wasn't it done years ago? I believe there are enough people several times over that can afford it but, most people who can are going to actually buy something that isn't you know..........an SUV

Once again you can't compare what has so far been released and speculated for this to an existing line up that has various options. If the turbo and turbo S that are both under 150k as I mentioned this would need to be, aren't normal and Porsche realizes that hence the diesel variants, the S and GTS and platinum edition and base model that are well under a 100k and less than most full size american premium SUVs or on par
People pay for a badge. People pay for a good car that they like. People buy a lot of SUVs, and tend to like them. Most people like the styling of Lamborghinis, and the rich tend to buy plenty of them. Therefore, an SUV with a Lamborghini badge, powerful engine, and Lamborghini styling will draw consumers.

People pay for a badge. People pay for a good car that they like. People buy a lot of SUVs, and tend to like them. Most people like the styling of Lamborghinis, and the rich tend to buy plenty of them. Therefore, an SUV with a Lamborghini badge, powerful engine, and Lamborghini styling will draw consumers.

Once again I've addressed all these points it's a bit non-productive to just keep yourself on repeat. And yet again no one said there wouldn't be buyers or any consumer how much is the real question, and as I demonstrated with actual logic and effort is why they probably wont sale as much as they want or think.

Also you still don't answer what is rich? How can you quantify it since this is probably going to the first of its kind and of a different breed obviously that will be priced much higher than a Porsche Turbo S. So I ask again as I did before how do you know rich people are buying SUVs at the plenty?

Also how will they look greener doing this by the way? Turbo V10 even with an electric motor that isn't very green build wise that is used to increase your speed, is now what is considered green? All from what we know as of right now of course

Also you still don't answer what is rich? How can you quantify it since this is probably going to the first of its kind and of a different breed obviously that will be priced much higher than a Porsche Turbo S. So I ask again as I did before how do you know rich people are buying SUVs at the plenty?

Also how will they look greener doing this by the way? Turbo V10 even with an electric motor that isn't very green build wise that is used to increase your speed, is now what is considered green? All from what we know as of right now of course
"Rich" is a vague, undefinable term. But if the rich aren't buying lots of SUVs, then why did Jaguar Land Rover have to double the size of their aluminium body shop because demand was twice what they estimated? They're making thousands of Range Rovers a week. Someone's buying them, and I certainly can't afford a £70,000 SUV. Tehy said themselves that the Chinese love their cars.

It's not an image thing, it's a legal thing. Like how Aston Martin built the Cygnet. It made them look bad, but helped them out with the EU and their emissions regs. An SUV is in a different class than a supercar, and has lower standards for emissions and economy.

To answer the OP, it is the Urus, but it's not coming til' 2017.

In response to Beeble & LMS' debate, Beeble is correct on a couple parts. SUVs, for whatever weird reason, really shine when they're being sold by sports car manufacturers as evident by Porsche. Will the Urus outsell its competition? Likely not, but it won't need to just like Bentley & possibly Aston Martin won't need to; they're not the meat & bones of the company, mainly models that increase the revenue to further development elsewhere (just like the Panamera & Cayenne). They'll sell for the name alone. These manufacturers are likely to place their vehicles into a pricing bracket that will reflect in the cars meaning their comparisons to BMWs & what not will be meaningless as well. You pay $100,000 for a X6M & a $200,000 for a Urus, the prices will reflect that in the overall quality of the product. The only comparisons to be made are the performance figures & that's a debate the goes on every where.

And on the units/year point, Lamborghini received 1,000 orders in 2 months of the Hurcan's revealing at $230,000 a piece. The Urus will likely follow a similar trend as a cheaper, more marketable vehicle. The problem is judging the exact figures because the car is still 2 years away & by that point, the Bentley & potential Lagonda could be on sale. And there starts the Urus' real competition. At this point, the Cayenne Turbo S ($146,000) & the G63 AMG ($135,000) are the only competition respectively to Lamborghini & Bentley til' more details are revealed.

If they go SUV, it competion would be the Supercharged Range Rover or the soon to be Bentley SUV (EXP9?). Bmw, porsche, audi and land rovers evoque have got the mid ranged market done. Top range has been owned by the RR for ages and with the new lighter, more technical and greener one, owns it again.

Back