Rochester, NY
CaleDeRoo
m674db26.jpg

m674db27.jpg

m674db28.jpg

m674db29.jpg

m674db30.jpg

m674db31.jpg

Freakin cool man. Those union jack taillights. They'll sell a crap load of these.

It's the Mini superleggera concept.
Mini-Superleggera-Vision-Concept-1.jpg

Mini-Superleggera-Vision-Concept-2.jpg

I heard that Mini was going to a make a production version of it, those patients could be for the production version .

That's why I didn't call it the Superleggera concept....

If it's smaller than the current Maxi, fairly light, and spritely, this is the closest we'll get to a modern bug-eye Sprite. I think it's an excellent approach for Mini to take, but I'm not sure how many they'd actually sell...

Pretty cool! I especially love the obnoxiously aggressive rear diffuser. Not sure about the tail fin though. It looked better on Dodge's Copperhead concept from back in the day.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I think an opportunity exists for Dodge to make a new Copperhead based on the original concept to compete with the Miata and BRZFRS.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I think an opportunity exists for Dodge to make a new Copperhead based on the original concept to compete with the Miata and BRZFRS.

I can already see it now:

"Our new roadster designed to compete with the Mazda Miata; it can't do anything a Miata does, but it's 5 grand cheaper and it's got 707hp! We'll also be releasing shortly our Caravan replacement, which is going to be smaller, less efficient and less practical than its competitors, but it'll be cheaper, and it's got 707hp!"

And besides, the Copperhead design is kind of dated, so I would hope they don't base it on that.

It seems like the majority of the concept design is going into the production version if those patents will be the production car.

If there's an aftermarket kit to get rid of the stupid rear wing so I can put a rack there for my pick-a-nick basket, I'll be happy.

Suddenly not so depressed about the death of the Roadster, anymore.

Oh lawdy it's got the fin still. This could be my new favourite car.

Give it a simple interior and 300 horsepower. I will buy.

Is this one made in Germany or is it being produced by Magna?

The Spider has a RWD shape to it, the front end looks narrow. If this turns out to be FWD, it has a much better design than the bloated Mini Roadster.

Give it a simple interior and 300 horsepower. I will buy.

Is this one made in Germany or is it being produced by Magna?

If it fits in with BMW's product and engine strategy as expected, I doubt it will come with anything more than 240hp from a 2 litre 4 cylinder BMW B series engine.

Probably assembled at the Oxford plant in the UK. The Magna Steyr deal was for Hatches and Countrymans.

The Spider has a RWD shape to it, the front end looks narrow. If this turns out to be FWD, it has a much better design than the bloated Mini Roadster.

It will be underpinned by BMW's UKL platform, which is FWD, or AWD. There has been one rumour about adapting it for RWD.. but the general idea is BMW will mirror it's baby Mini roadster with a BMW Z1 or Z2, which is also expected to be FWD.

Surely the B series can be pushed a bit, no? You can't have a body and fin like that without being the fastest thing in the lineup.

Ah. So the righthand mirror won't squeak on gray models (but only on Mondays)?

That's a comfort.

-

Never been anything wrong with the MINI being FWD. The current chassis copes better with the 2.0 than the previous one did with the higher-powered 1.6s. The extra torque makes it faster, too.

The 3 pot B-engine in the i8 develops about 75bhp per cylinder, as the B series is all about 500cc scalable engines, logically it might be possible to take the 4 cyl to 300hp... buuut. I don't see it happening, especially not if it is FWD.

Sadly... yeah... it'd be a reach. Especially considering the weight and wheelbase.

Given that MINI has ALL4, however...

Nobody is going to buy a Mini spider unless it makes you go "OMG" every time you get behind the wheel.

Nobody is going to buy a Mini spider unless it makes you go "OMG" every time you get behind the wheel.
Doesn't require a large amount of power, it's a MINI after all. The latest 1.5l 3cyl already in the MINI would seem like a suitable engine. Or maybe the Cooper S engine for a fast version.

Back