• Thread starter TT92
  • 15 comments

TT92

Premium
Australia
WA
TT__777
Why has it got a rev counter?

I see no reason why a pulsed laser drive would need one or what it actually measures. So we have 10,000rpm of what exactly?

"The power supply selected for this car is a unprecedented laser propulsion system. The laser beam unit mounted central to the car produces a laser beam pulse which strikes a focusing shroud, and the resulting shockwave produces the thrust which propels this extremely light racing car"
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5788338.html

If I was really going to get pedantic I would also ask how it actually achieves reverse gear but that could be a great question for another day ;-)

While in case of 2X "rev counter" doesn't really make sense,it is a part of games HUD and you have to have some kind of visual presentation how much are you pushing your car (engine).If you look again, 2X engine(RPM) scale goes from 0-12 (red line 11-12 is non acesible) ,so I guess it represents engine power (0-10>full) and not RPM's as in normal cars.

Reverse? Maybe ,just maybe , there are little elektromotors in wheels pushing car backwards,but then I've noticed from 3rd person view that laser is also working in reverse:rolleyes:

Last edited:
While in case of 2X "rev counter" doesn't really make sense,it is a part of games HUD and you have to have some kind of visual presentation how much are you pushing your car (engine).If you look again, 2X engine(RPM) scale goes from 0-12 (red line 11-12 is non acesible) ,so I guess it represents engine power (0-10>full) and not RPM's as in normal cars.

Reverse? Maybe ,just maybe , there are little elektromotors in wheels pushing car backwards,but then I've noticed from 3rd person view that laser is also working in reverse:rolleyes:

The "power gauge" as you would like to call quite clearly states RPM. Also, as I am quite sure you are aware, revs, in and internal combustion engine has no bearing on how much "power" the engine is producing.

Anyway I thought it would be something interesting to discuss and poke fun at the "Real Driving Simulator" ;-)

............I wouldn't lose sleep over it; pure electric cars (no hybrid drivetrains) also happen to have fuel gauges so, there's that....

It's not a constant laser beam, it's lots of short pulses. The RPM meter might show the frequency in pulses per minute.

The frequency is limited by speed, at 0 km/h you can't get more than 4k RPM. The available RPM then climbs with the speed and the max cap of 10k RPM becomes available once you exceed 330 km/h.

The power delivered by each pulse should be more or less constant, so effectively you'll only have 40% engine power from a standing start. As you're accelerating, more and more power becomes available, at 215 km/h you have 80% engine power available and at 330 km/h you have 100% (those 100% are enough to propell the car up to about 420 km/h).

I'm guessing that it's a safety feature, because if you had access to all power (max power to weight ratio is 2:1) already at low speeds when there's very little drag to overcome the car would probably be even harder to drive than it is now.

Here's an RPM limit graph:

2x2.jpg

It's not a constant laser beam, it's lots of short pulses. The RPM meter might show the frequency in pulses per minute.

The frequency is limited by speed, at 0 km/h you can't get more than 4k RPM. The available RPM then climbs with the speed and the max cap of 10k RPM becomes available once you exceed 330 km/h.

The power delivered by each pulse should be more or less constant, so effectively you'll only have 40% engine power from a standing start. As you're accelerating, more and more power becomes available, at 215 km/h you have 80% engine power available and at 330 km/h you have 100% (those 100% are enough to propell the car up to about 420 km/h).

I'm guessing that it's a safety feature, because if you had access to all power (max power to weight ratio is 2:1) already at low speeds when there's very little drag to overcome the car would probably be even harder to drive than it is now.

Here's an RPM limit graph:

View attachment 276286

Again I would like to state RPM = Revolutions Per Minute of a crankshaft (in car terminology anyway). So again what is revolving on a Laser Pulsed drive system?????

Or more to the point, why not have Laser Pulses Per Minute? Just in case, if in anyway that would be possibly relevant to anyone. Would make as much sense as SPFPM (Spark Plugs Firing Per Minute) in a IC engine I suppose ;-)

In jet turbines though RPM my be of interest but you really want to know pounds of thrust. So I would have thought in this thing as well.

BTW doesn't the Veyron have a Power Gauge on the dash measuring up to 1,001HP?

Again I would like to state RPM = Revolutions Per Minute of a crankshaft (in car terminology anyway). So again what is revolving on a Laser Pulsed drive system?????

Or more to the point, why not have Laser Pulses Per Minute? Just in case, if in anyway that would be possibly relevant to anyone. Would make as much sense as SPFPM (Spark Plugs Firing Per Minute) in a IC engine I suppose ;-)

In jet turbines though RPM my be of interest but you really want to know pounds of thrust. So I would have thought in this thing as well.

BTW doesn't the Veyron have a Power Gauge on the dash measuring up to 1,001HP?

It's a tachometer, so what it measures is engine speed, not revolutions per se. "SPFPM" would indicate one kind of engine speed, but since what's interesting in an IC engine is the revolutions and not the spark plug firings it's the RPM that's being measured by the tachometer.

As for jet engines, there's no instrument that shows thrust. There are instruments for rpm and exhaust gas temperature but nothing that shows thrust.

Chaparral 2X is the worst VGT car so far...... it handles horribly, and by the end of a race the driver would have no neck... due to the position he's in. Based on a flight suit, original, but still.......

As a design, I do have to admit it (the 2X) is an interesting one. One that could've been refined a bit better imo, especially for our 'wheel & pedals' game, but it is what it is - a unique display of technology, plagued by numerous other issues and inconsistencies.
(Sounds like a GM collaboration :lol:, amiright ? :sly:)

Back