Steering Wheel Contoller - How Quickly Did You Get Used To It?

• Thread starter lbpomg95
  • 62 comments
England
A field in England
I have invested in a Logitech DFGT, and just set it up today. It's a good laugh, and I'm really enjoying it.

However, I'm curious.

Many people I've seen on this site have mentioned how (eventually) they are faster on a steering wheel as opposed to a DS3 controller. Obviously, this will have taken practice.

So, as I bound around Brands Hatch in a Lancia Stratos finding every wall within a mile radius, I ask you - how much practice did you put in before you could match your controller lap times/competitiveness with a wheel? Or are you still faster with a DS3 controller?

For me, it took quite a few laps in a slower car to come even close to being able to drive with a wheel. Very odd feeling actually, you know, sucking at something that took you years to get good at! I am personally still slower on that wheel though, but probably because of how bad the wheel is! (a bad wheel will get much less use). one day it just decided that it had to be turned 45 degrees in either direction in order to turn at all!

Never for me, I always had trouble switching directions. Obviously its not even close to driving a real car, and i figure if i want that feeling im paying several hundreds a month to drive a real one. I used the hks controller for a few months and then went back to the ds3. Then i got a fanetic wheel and used that for a month but still went back to the ds3. Now I use the right analog stick for throttle and L2 for braking, and it works pretty well for me.

I primarily race the Nurburgring. When I got a wheel I was a joke. I went from winning 99.9 of the races I entered to not being able to string together 3 consecutive corners at less than a respectable speed. It took me a good week of steady practice to confidently negotiate the track without incident. It took another 3 weeks to match my speed AND consistency. After that is when the "wheel advantage" became apparent. I have done some laps, and pulled off some insane overtakes that were just pure magic. So from my experience, the answer is about a month of steady practice (a few hours a day) and I just wanted to add this. When I first tried the wheel I was so terrible I thought mine had a defect. I thought about returning it. But I never picked up the DS3 again. And I never will.

I've been running DS3 for years but the latest Chaparral seasonal really brought home how much slower the controller is. I don't think I saw a single DS3 user with the gold time! All because PD won't allow us to increase the poxy steering angle. I like to think I managed to get pretty decent pace with the controller, but I'm still left in the dust by wheel users. I would go for a Logitech G27 but I'm not spending £250 for a clutch pedal that barely works, or the bank-breaking Thrustmasters.

Either way, I'm having some great fun with the DFGT, except the second I begin to oversteer, I'm screwed. I'm not sure if it's my reaction times or what, but I can't tell soon enough when the car's beginning to slip, whereas on the DS3, it doesn't matter because I can correct it.

Still, cruising a big ol' supercar at half speed is great fun.

Your issue I feel is one of the most common a first time wheel user experiences. You have to learn how to counter steer all over again. Not being in a real car with the "seat of your pants feel" makes it incredibly difficult to judge how far to turn the wheel to compensate for oversteer. It comes with practice, and trust me it does come. After many, many very frustrating spin outs. Good luck.

Your issue I feel is one of the most common a first time wheel user experiences. You have to learn how to counter steer all over again. Not being in a real car with the "seat of your pants feel" makes it incredibly difficult to judge how far to turn the wheel to compensate for oversteer. It comes with practice, and trust me it does come. After many, many very frustrating spin outs. Good luck.
I assumed that might be the case. I've been driving on it for about 3 hours and I've managed to save one deliberate powerslide. More of that tomorrow! Cheers for the advice anyway!

Counter steering is definitely one of the things that will take a little longer to iron out than most other aspects of using a wheel [because you also have to do it in conjunction with some feathering of the gas pedal to catch it] and it is probably the main thing that is still keeping me from being any faster on the wheel than I am with the DS3, but I am getting better and better all the time, albeit rather slowly.

I've had my DFGT since June and I'm still at most times up to a second slower on a hotlap. I doubt that I practice on it as much as I should really.

I also have a DFGT and it took me a few races to get used to driving but then it has taken me quite a while as I learnt how to properly drive with it and get faster and faster, I still need to work on counter steering since the DFGT can be quite a heavy wheel but practice will help. If you find way to difficult to counter steer I guess you could try active steering or at least I think that's what it's called, I've never tried it but my friends have.

I would go for a Logitech G27 but I'm not spending £250 for a clutch pedal that barely works, or the bank-breaking Thrustmasters.

I own a few wheels ranging from a $20 second hand DFGT, up to a couple of mid-range Fanatecs, right up to the mighty $2600 ECCI 7000, and I can tell you that a better and more expensive wheel will not sort out your teething issues.

Consider your settings though. The "protection" that you might have needed with aids may actually be hindering you now for instance. It's also important to make sure you set things up the way that it's most enjoyable. It shouldn't be a chore, forget about lap times for a while and just enjoy the experience. Practice will eventually make perfect...... ish.

Last edited:
I have invested in a Logitech DFGT, and just set it up today. It's a good laugh, and I'm really enjoying it.

However, I'm curious.

Many people I've seen on this site have mentioned how (eventually) they are faster on a steering wheel as opposed to a DS3 controller. Obviously, this will have taken practice.

So, as I bound around Brands Hatch in a Lancia Stratos finding every wall within a mile radius, I ask you - how much practice did you put in before you could match your controller lap times/competitiveness with a wheel? Or are you still faster with a DS3 controller?
Best advice is put away the Stratos and start learning to drive with a Miata or stock BRZ or something similar, flatter tracks at first like Tsukuba, Silverstone etc, on Comfort Mediums. The Stratos is one of the most difficult cars to master and not a good car to start with. Brands has a lot of things going on from cambered corners to elevation changes and isn't the best place to start either. Run lots of laps in one or two cars until you are consistent but don't try to be super fast at first, just consistent. For sure don't start on sports tires or racing tires as they won't teach you anything about car control at this stage on lower PP cars. No aids but ABS either, everything else is a crutch that changes the natural physics of the car.

It took me a few hours to become comfortable.

here's roughly what I did.

1) start by using automatic transmission.
2) turn off the driving line
3) make sure the chosen car is "sensible". No super cars, no literal race cars, and no totally beefed up whatevers.
4) make sure to use a car that you know is set up well.
5) use a course that mimics a real road, not a race course. Perhaps Nurburgring, or Sarthe,etc.
Now... Try driving like there's a speed limit and you have 10 of 12 points on your license. (seriously). Perhaps 70mph (or kmph equiv) max, making sure to "stay in your lane" No cheating!!! That's actually hard to do, but do it. It will keep you from crashing quite so much (hopefully), and force you to concentrate.

Once you've made it around the course a few times without crashing, or at least without crashing badly, nudge your speed limit up a bit (maybe add 20-30mph (or kpmh equiv)) and drive until you lap several more times without crashing. You may slow down if necessary, but try to avoid "speeding"

Do this over and over, nudging the top allowable speed up until you feel comfortable.

At this point, you can enter a race. Use something relatively easy (confidence builder). Repeat race until you gold without
a) hitting ANY AI. I mean ANY. Not a bump, not a touch, not a tap.
b) without sliding off track at any point

Now you can think about using manual transmission mode.You should be able to drive with a relative level of comfort at this point. If not, go back to wherever you gave up on my plan and start there.

good luck!

I have a DFGT as well and I do better on Route X with it than a controller. It much more comfortable for my hands as well as opposed to holding down R2 all the time.

All good advice here. A wheel really adds so much to GT and there is a learning curve but it shouldn't take too long to get up to speed. I'll just add that the next step to take is to try a more powerful FR car and boot it out of corners to unstick it. Get used to how the force feedback feels when sliding and what it takes to correct it. Getting this right is the difference between an accident and a minor moment. FWIW, the time trial leaderboards are usually dominated by wheel users. Oh, I tried driving with a DS3 the other day for the first time since GT3 - it was much like your Brands/Stratos moment :)

Tried G27 once, nothing really standout, just have to make some adjustment dealing with the FFB :) Maybe because I have lots of hours with a wheel on PC and arcades ( Thrustmaster wheel back in the 90's on PC sims and lots of experience on arcade racer/sim like Battle Gear, Wangan Midnight, Sega Rally 1 + 2, and Ferrari 355 Challenge - won all races with H shifter and hardest Simulator mode no assist / ABS )
GT6 should have this simulator mode :P

Still the best racing experience I ever had IMO, was a regular and wished I own one now. Won on all courses including the international edition, my favorite tracks to race were Sugo, Suzuka, Long Beach, Atlanta, Nurburgring and Laguna Seca. Fiorano was my practice track :D

16118502.jpg

16118503.jpg

16118504.jpg

16118505.jpg

Holding the replica steering wheel, manipulating the clutch/gas/brake pedals made from metal and gear stick ( replica of H gate shifter ), and hear the engine roar, blips from the seat speakers :D Heel & toe, left foot and threshold braking, precision and aggressive clean race craft with some adrenaline pumping passing maneuver, good ol times. Those were money well spent and the great thing was that I could get in tune with the wheel almost instantly, must be the magic fine tuning in FFB, and the replica wheel/pedal/shifter also plays major role. The passion and attention to details by the producer Yu Suzuki also makes it special - he owned and drove F355 at the track in Japan. Shame that I can't say the same when using the G27 :( in terms of steering + pedal feel / operation.

Simple precaution in GT6, Forza and any console driving sim in general: don't expect the wheel to drive like a real car, the pedals and the steering response are different to real life, if you ever countersteer a high power RWD or AWD ( 400+PS Skyline GTST and GTR ) car IRL on a high grip tire ( Toyo R888 or Advan Neova ), you'll know what I mean, no sim can get it right 100%, not even PC sim :D

I don't get it.

Been driving cars legally for 38 years. All had wheels and brakes, and most had clutches and H-shifters.

The DS3 in an unintuitive piece of crap--unless you're a 14-year-old kid who was raised on gaming consoles instead of real life controls. I HATE the DS3, and I have no interest in learning the nuances of making it work.

The G27 felt natural from day one. I was instantaneouly faster when I switched.

My learning curve was in learning game physics, not in learning wheels and pedals.

The biggest issue is you need a whole new set of skills, feedback is limited & the visual input is all wrong.
In RL you turn your head & the wheel intuitively with it to where you want to go, this will pretty much get you there.
"Seat of the pants" lets you fine tune things but your playing in the right ballpark naturally.
Its easy in my view to turn the wheels more than you should be doing, though I am no great driver.

I don't get it.

Been driving cars legally for 38 years. All had wheels and brakes, and most had clutches and H-shifters.

The DS3 in an unintuitive piece of crap--unless you're a 14-year-old kid who was raised on gaming consoles instead of real life controls. I HATE the DS3, and I have no interest in learning the nuances of making it work.

The G27 felt natural from day one. I was instantaneouly faster when I switched.

My learning curve was in learning game physics, not in learning wheels and pedals.

Looks like I'm 14 years old kid with more than 20 years of driving experience IRL :lol: I can drive both stick controller and wheel. Still don't really fancy wheel on console though, sometimes the FFB just horrible/unrealistic on some titles, PC + wheel is still better, but not by much either. In terms of replicating real life input, yes wheel is good, got a round wheel to turn, pedal to press and stick shift to move, but the interaction and feedback are mostly subpar. The nuances and the feel of a real car pedals and wheel are hard to achieve, unless you have dedicated setup to simulate certain car like Sega F355 Challenge wheel + H shifter + pedal. The pedals and H shifter on F355 are just amazing, even in todays terms.

Looks like I'm 14 years old kid with more than 20 years of driving experience IRL :lol: I can drive both stick controller and wheel. Still don't really fancy wheel on console though, sometimes the FFB just horrible/unrealistic on some titles, PC + wheel is still better, but not by much either. In terms of replicating real life input, yes wheel is good, got a round wheel to turn, pedal to press and stick shift to move, but the interaction and feedback are mostly subpar. The nuances and the feel of a real car pedals and wheel are hard to achieve, unless you have dedicated setup to simulate certain car like Sega F355 Challenge wheel + H shifter + pedal. The pedals and H shifter on F355 are just amazing, even in todays terms.
I agree with all that. But surely you're not suggesting the pad or sticks on a DS3 are more realistic!

Joy sticks are for realistic space war games like Astroids and Space Invaders. Maybe Defender, PacMan and Froggers. But even Pole Position used a wheel and pedals.

The biggest issue is you need a whole new set of skills, feedback is limited & the visual input is all wrong.
In RL you turn your head & the wheel intuitively with it to where you want to go, this will pretty much get you there.
"Seat of the pants" lets you fine tune things but your playing in the right ballpark naturally.
Its easy in my view to turn the wheels more than you should be doing, though I am no great driver.
This is possible in PC sims in several ways. A "look to apex" feature that moves the camera slightly left or right to follow the steering input. Head tracking is another way, and of course a VR headset. And don't forget triple screens. If you have really fine feedback you can feel when the turning input is right or if you've gone too far and are now understeering, also a feature of PC sims.

The limitation of a steering wheel alone is that the wheel is programmed to deliver information you don't normally get through the wheel, you feel it through the seat of your pants mostly. It'll never feel quite like a real steering wheel until we are all riding in motion simulators with tactile feedback and a 180 degree HD VR headset on with all the canned effects removed from the wheel.

Back in the real world:D, the addition of tactile transducers would help a lot with immersion IMO and it's on my list of things to do next year. An HD VR headset + SimVibe + a good wheel has got to be close to nirvana for your average sim racer:lol:

Took me maybe a week or two to get used to using the wheel. Was pretty much instantly faster when I figured it out. I think it was just from the wheel forcing me to think more about driving. I've tried using the DS3 since and I can get the same lap times I can with my wheel if I really focus.

This is possible in PC sims in several ways. A "look to apex" feature that moves the camera slightly left or right to follow the steering input. Head tracking is another way, and of course a VR headset. And don't forget triple screens. If you have really fine feedback you can feel when the turning input is right or if you've gone too far and are now understeering, also a feature of PC sims.

The limitation of a steering wheel alone is that the wheel is programmed to deliver information you don't normally get through the wheel, you feel it through the seat of your pants mostly. It'll never feel quite like a real steering wheel until we are all riding in motion simulators with tactile feedback and a 180 degree HD VR headset on with all the canned effects removed from the wheel.

Back in the real world:D, the addition of tactile transducers would help a lot with immersion IMO and it's on my list of things to do next year. An HD VR headset + SimVibe + a good wheel has got to be close to nirvana for your average sim racer:lol:

There's no substitute for the seat of your pants. But having grown up on the snow covered and muddy dirt roads of Alaska, I think the FFB wheels do convey much of the sensation of the manual steering cars and trucks I learned on. No, they don't mimick the power steering of my S500 on California freeways--and that's a good thing!

These are two questions that no one seems to ask on this topic:

1) How fast is your TV's refresh/response rate?

2) Are you running cheap A/V cables?

In the GT6 drag racing community your "tree" (how quickly you react to the ghost) is usually what determines if you win. There's a statement in the community that goes like this, "tree by a bumper, win by a car." Drag racing has became 90% tree and 10% tune.

You can improve your tree in various ways, however the best way to drastically improve your tree is with a better TV. A 1 or 2ms PC gaming monitor or an old 4x3 ratio CRT Bubble Screen TV (which has zero input lag whatsoever). This allows you to see what is happening in game as it happens and react to it immediately with no input lag. This is crucial for wheel users imo.

I bring this up because I too have a DFGT and used to struggle immensely with it. I was running a cheapo 19" LCD TV through a cheapo ebay HDMI cable. I never noticed the input lag until I switched over to my old CRT for drag racing. I would lose drag races by a full car or more with the LCD; my opponent would see the ghost before me and literally leave me standing for a few ms. With the CRT, I was running competitive with most anybody as I could see and react to the ghost as it happens.

I then went back to the LCD & HDMI for the better graphics. I tried circuit racing and was amazed at the input lag! I could barely drive. I don't know how I ever dealt with it before. All of my inputs were severely delayed and not only that, what I was seeing on screen was lagging behind what was actually happening in game. This made the DFGT a no-go and an impossible device to use, at least for a beginner like me.

I recently switched over to my DFGT for the Chaparrel 2X Seasonal to obtain Gold while using my CRT TV and noticed the wheel MUCH easier to use! It felt as if I could effectively react to what was happening in game. I still need practice to become proficient with a wheel, but now that I don't have to deal with severe input lag, it seems like learning to use a wheel is within the bounds of reason. Hope this helps.

Wow, that was a long post. Sorry about that.

TL;DR: Better TV = You see things as they happen and suffer no input lag. If anyone doesn't believe me, then enter a Pro drag room and drag a respectable member of the community in an identical car. First on your current TV and then on an old CRT TV. The difference will be drastic, especially if your current TV is anywhere near as bad as my LCD.

Oh and btw, the Lancia Stratos is a bit wild. It may not be the best car to start out with, as I'm sure you've already found out. ;)

I agree with all that. But surely you're not suggesting the pad or sticks on a DS3 are more realistic!

Joy sticks are for realistic space war games like Astroids and Space Invaders. Maybe Defender, PacMan and Froggers. But even Pole Position used a wheel and pedals.

Of course not, stick can never replace a wheel :) but I'm stuck with a stick :( and I can still drive well without any assist. May be long life experience with games might have a hand, I can drive without sound, just relying on visual without any feedback and still be clean and quick. Some of my replica test run were done with my TV on mute :P This was done on a stick and no aids ( no ABS ) with barely any sound from my TV :D

Having a very good LCD HDTV with low response time is crucial in games :) My TV has no noticeable input lag.

Nice topic.Interesting.👍
At first a was always wondering why i must buy a €149,00 wheel to play a €50,-- game:confused:

GT5 i bought a cheap wheel (€49,00)because i wanted to know if i could handle the redbull X better.
Played around with it, was fun, but not wow yes woohoo.That wheel was a bad buy..:banghead:
GT6, 1 year ago, i was playing careermode, trying for getting all stars in every licence.
Bought a DFGT, had troubles with kart races, and the DFGT helped, only one problem, room for it.
With the DS3 i drive chasecam, with the DFGT that is not a good view.After finishing 100cc kart with the DFGT, the wheel went back into the cabinet.:boggled:
While slowly finishing careermode with ds3, i started to lower the assists bit by bit.
I did not get gold on the Redbull suzuka event, and this Chaparral vision event with DS3 but i survived, i'm still alive, a wheel is not a lifesaver.;)

My problem still is room for the DFGT, always connect/disconnect the wheel started to annoy me.
Once i will change my setup with my computer and ps3 and maybe i can switch to wheel for permanent.💡

Untill now? read my last line in my signature...:cool:
What i do know is: if one wants a wheel, a cheap one is bad, a DFGT or better is the only option.
But i still not agree that a €50/€60 game must have a €149,00 wheel to win all races with ease.
SO i'm a bit angry that the chaparral 2x does not steer as much in the corners, with a DS3, as it can do with using a wheel.It's a little discriminating in my opinion.:yuck:

\edit: If you drive in real life (karting when don't have driving licence, and cars when you have a licence) you will adapt faster to a wheel in the game.

Last edited:
Being more than a bit blunt here, anyone who claims to have been instantly as fast or faster after going from a DSx to a wheel hasn't been all that great of a DSx user to begin with.

For me the final transition took months, two or three (or five or six or ten or actually I'm not sure if I'm finished even today and it's been eight years now...) of them, but undoubtedly a big part in it was played by the fact that I used to be an "every GT fully completed and every licence & driving mission golded" DualShock player. Getting to a level on which I could compete with the AI and get silvers on licences with an occasional gold thrown in was a matter of days, a few weeks at most, but getting to my own level took some serious time and practice. But eventually I, like many others, reached the old results and then proceeded to beat them.

My best piece of advice would be to get a relatively powerful FWD car that has slightly more power than it can cope with so learning proper accelerator use is mandatory to drive it as it's probably the most important thing. After that a low powered RWD that gives some chance of trying to catch the slides (which is seemingly impossible at first) and then just spin and crash it for so long that eventually something goes right. After more spinning and crashing there's another glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel. There is no easy way, actually no way at all to know exactly what has to be done when the rear end goes out - the thing is to know what not to do and that knowledge comes with experience. Then just don't do that because it obviously doesn't work, do something else instead.

Being more than a bit blunt here, anyone who claims to have been instantly as fast or faster after going from a DSx to a wheel hasn't been all that great of a DSx user to begin with.

For me the final transition took months, two or three (or five or six or ten or actually I'm not sure if I'm finished even today and it's been eight years now...) of them, but undoubtedly a big part in it was played by the fact that I used to be an "every GT fully completed and every licence & driving mission golded" DualShock player. Getting to a level on which I could compete with the AI and get silvers on licences with an occasional gold thrown in was a matter of days, a few weeks at most, but getting to my own level took some serious time and practice. But eventually I, like many others, reached the old results and then proceeded to beat them.

My best piece of advice would be to get a relatively powerful FWD car that has slightly more power than it can cope with so learning proper accelerator use is mandatory to drive it as it's probably the most important thing. After that a low powered RWD that gives some chance of trying to catch the slides (which is seemingly impossible at first) and then just spin and crash it for so long that eventually something goes right. After more spinning and crashing there's another glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel. There is no easy way, actually no way at all to know exactly what has to be done when the rear end goes out - the thing is to know what not to do and that knowledge comes with experience. Then just don't do that because it obviously doesn't work, do something else instead.

I disagree with the bold part :) I can drive as quick on G27 as I drive on my stick - no assist used including no brake assist. All that it took for me was about 15 minutes of driving to get used to the wheel and pedal feel ( braking without ABS, have to make BB adjustments ) I spent about a few hours with G27 and already can lap similar times to my replica cars at Tsukuba and Silverstone GP ( comfort tires to RH ) This was on my friends rig. I don't know what sort of FFB setting used, as I just drive for fun. If you think I'm not a great DS user to begin with, then I'm afraid I have to tell you that making such generalization is incorrect. Some have wealth of experience//hours behind a wheel on PC and arcades before playing GT on DS stick, and moving to a wheel in GT6 is not a huge step for them in terms of adapting to the new input.

Of course not, stick can never replace a wheel :) but I'm stuck with a stick :( and I can still drive well without any assist. May be long life experience with games might have a hand, I can drive without sound, just relying on visual without any feedback and still be clean and quick. Some of my replica test run were done with my TV on mute :P This was done on a stick and no aids ( no ABS ) with barely any sound from my TV :D

Having a very good LCD HDTV with low response time is crucial in games :) My TV has no noticeable input lag.

No sound??? Amazing. I could not do that.

For me, the DS3 was foreign to start with. I purchased the PS3 when GT5 came out. I could "get by" using the DS3, but it was anything but natural. I wasn't a gamer with years (or a literal lifetime) of experience using the DS3 and its predecessors, and the concept of driving a car using a joystick never felt terribly comfortable. I learned to make do, but that's about it. I haven't looked back and won't be using the DS3 again in a driving simulator. My experience using a game controller (ie a DS3 similar device for the PS2) to drive was limited to some 4-wheeler game a former girlfriend had, and which I played maybe a few dozen times in total.

I did, however, have about four decades of real driving behind my belt, along with some particularly good (albeit, odd in comparison to what others I've known had to accomplish) drivers' training my Dad forced me to go through prior to being allowed to take my license test, so the wheel was a far more natural transition, regardless of the limited feedback provided within the game (there is no real lateral acceleration, there is no real peripheral view, there is no real vibration, there are fake, forced, lighting affects and other forced and ever-changing discrepancies between the game's physics and real life used to increase "dramaifficulty", etc), or for that matter, the fundamental limitations of affordable wheel units to simulate reality.

If it took some people months to get used to a wheel over the DS3, I can only say that based on the gAmER phenom and the particularly naive and imo somewhat deluded culture it has created, where the line between real life and simulated or arcade experience is blurred, often beyond recognition, by those immersed in it, I"m not at all surprised. There are still those who occasionally claim that driving in this game using a DS3 is valid beyond the "game" aspect, which is simply isn't. That is, you won't be gaining a real driver's license from taking a virtual test using a DS3 anytime soon, TG.)

However, it didn't take months for me, and imo, it really shouldn't take anyone who has been driving a real car for more than a learner's permit or occasional driving "weeks" or "months" to become comfortable using a wheel controller. If it does and you have been driving for years, then I'd suggest you may need some remedial driving classes or you're jeopardizing the safety of yourself, those in other cars around you, and your loved one's lives.

In this game, and for me (can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect many would concur) most the "getting used to" was because the game is missing feedback I take for granted when driving (stated in-part above), and the wheel-unit (ie, wheel, brakes, shifting) itself isn't quite "real" either, leading to a need to adjust for the wheel unit's (wheel and foot pedals) oddities.

In any case, being comfortable doesn't mean you will ever rank in the top ten drivers. The reality is that some very few can, and most of us can't and never will. I don't mind stating that while I'm a good driver, and in real life, I've both avoided and gotten myself out of some pretty serious situations due to the training my dad forced me to complete prior to taking my license test nearly 40 years ago, along with perhaps a natural feel for the wheel, and I can drive as fast as any cars I've ever owned will literally allow, I'm not top ten and I never will be. it's ok. The idea is to drive well enough to enjoy oneself, get where you're going, and to avoid (to the limits of luck anyway) being injured, maimed or killed, and preventing the same condition from our occupants and drivers around us, all while not living a white-knuckle existence.

I'd like to close reminding others that being a good driver is no perfect shield either. My (former) car got whacked a few weeks ago when a driver sped through a red light and rammed into my driver's side rear quarter panel at ~35mph. Fortunately it was the wheel, rear axle, and quarter panel that took the brunt, (surreal experience...) rather than my door and MY left side, and a few thousand dollars later, I'm in replacement car instead of lying in a hospital bed. (TG other driver and her passenger weren't hurt either.)

For those of you who believe the DS3 is "the" thing, I'd suggest that if you can get a wheel, get one and give up the 6-axis and learn to drive, even if you're not as "fast" when not leaning on the fake gizmo to raise your supposed skills well beyond reality... even in a sim. It just teaches bad habits. And pay attention. Most accidents are caused by people not paying attention. Get off the f-ing phone, quit focusing on your chatty passenger who expects you maintain eye contact and to watch their every funny hand movement while talking, use your turn signals when changing lanes on the highway, and for God's sake, put down the gd blunt.

PS> IMO, if you ever need to rent a mid-sized SUV, don't choose the KIA Sorrento. It has lots of pseudo-luxurious crap, but for driving, it sucks rocks. Boaty suspension, overly sharp brakes, and the "blind spot" consists of almost the entire rear view.

Back