Bending spacetime in the Chaparral 2X

United States
California
CommanderCyclops
Found a weird glitch on SSRX that only works in the 2X. If you drive the wrong way around the track, there are sections where time just gradually slows down, to the point where the windmills appear to stop. The best way to see it is to do a professional level arcade race starting at 15:30 and just turn around and go right at the beginning. Usually you'll meet the pack right at the warp zone and experience an incredible Matrix style slow-motion pile-up.

Found a weird glitch on SSRX that only works in the 2X. If you drive the wrong way around the track, there are sections where time just gradually slows down, to the point where the windmills appear to stop. The best way to see it is to do a professional level arcade race starting at 15:30 and just turn around and go right at the beginning. Usually you'll meet the pack right at the warp zone and experience an incredible Matrix style slow-motion pile-up.

Let's do the time warp again!

I think either this car was rushed and not optimized, or the added light source from the laser makes it too much for the PS3/game engine to handle. When racing at night, the front lights flicker on and off rapidly, alternatively with the laser at the back.

I noticed the frame rate really taking a nose dive when there were several of these cars packed together during replays. I also get this same slow motion effect if I run a badly optimized track mod on Assetto Corsa with 30+ cars, as apparantly the CPU is at max capacity and can't process that data (although in reality, it is only using one quarter of my CPUs ability).

I think either this car was rushed and not optimized, or the added light source from the laser makes it too much for the PS3/game engine to handle. When racing at night, the front lights flicker on and off rapidly, alternatively with the laser at the back.

I noticed the frame rate really taking a nose dive when there were several of these cars packed together during replays. I also get this same slow motion effect if I run a badly optimized track mod on Assetto Corsa with 30+ cars, as apparantly the CPU is at max capacity and can't process that data (although in reality, it is only using one quarter of my CPUs ability).
Another one of PD's cool ideas that wasn't executed as completely/cleanly as it could have been?

It would be pretty fun to race these things online, on the "hidden" sections of SSRX ("do a barrel roll!")...but if the game can't handle it...meh.

Another thing to add to the "I hope they improve this for GT7" list :lol:

Burnout_Paradise_Boxart_2.jpg

Also PD could apply the slow motion bit as a feature but no, it will not like that driving camera filter on GT5.

This reminds me of a bug in GT4. Inputting a few GameShark codes to max out a Nike One, then going to Test Course and hitting a barrier slows down everything and then you get warped into the sky. I can't find the video, but it was damn cool.

That problem with AC may be down to poor LOD optimization on the modded tracks. The CPU simply handles the game code, while the GPU handles everything else aside from sound. If it was poor code optimization your CPU usage would be at 100%. Just saiyan'. :D

As far as the slowdown with the 2X is concerned, I'm with you; I think the additional lighting effects are causing it. I think you'll notice that the ring thing at the back of the car is made up of several dozen lighting sources, which makes it more strenuous on the game and the GPU.

I actually managed to freeze up the game while doing this glitch. Well, on a sidenote, it started at the end of the tunnel and went throughout the whole straightaway. Most boring 6 minutes of my life
2970481-facepalm_facepalm.png

I did this glitch as well and it was actually pretty much awesome as the sun started to set slowly as the windmills started to spin slower and slower and then I caused a huge pileup as everything went back to normal, but then the start button broke and my game froze, lol worth it :sly:

The Oldsmobile Toronado clips half-way through the front of the 2X at 1:40.

I saw some mine frame rate skipping during the crashes but either way it's cool.

It's cool to see everything in slow motion, and how the game works in slow motion (For instance the timer goes up by 0:00.016 seconds and it takes the 2X 0:00.083 seconds to increase 1 mph when it is close to top speed) Love the glitch!

This is such a bizarre bug. And really cool!

Makes me think the 2X relies on a physics hack.

But why only SSRX? Is it because it's the only place you can achieve the sustained top speed?

But why only SSRX? Is it because it's the only place you can achieve the sustained top speed?

I don't know. I did run the 2X backwards on SSR7 and nothing happened. I suspect that the HP settings and start time might affect the glitch. When I had to reduce power for the Like The Wind race, the warp zone seemed a little smaller than at full power. One time I kept going around the track and it happened again on the front straight, right about at the apex of the bridge. I still can't figure out why it happens at the 0-1000m mark sometimes, and near the water tower other times.

I really hope they incorporate this as a replay option in the future. It'd be fun to stage big pileups and play them back in super slo-mo.

Latest Posts

Back