Why I think GT6 was liked by reviewers, but hated by (some) fans

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 244 comments
Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Chameleon9000
And yes, i mean that. Over the last few years, GT as a franchise has been getting quite a bit of slander towards its name. The once critically acclaimed franchise (and honestly, it is still getting acclaim, for example meta-critic gave it an average of 8.1, and a user score of 7.6, even once trolls had gone and given the game a 0 after saying it was OK. OK = five, not zero), but here on GTP, there are people complaining day in and day out (about the same damn things, may I add), with disappointment and even hatred seeping into everyone else. Its not a healthy community at times. But do you know why i think you 'complainers' disagree with the reviewers? Not because the game is actually good or bad, but because most reviewers take the game at face value. If your are a reviewer, chances are you haven't been following the hype, and have heard no promise of future updates, because it is pretty unrealistic for you to know about every game you review. This means that what the reviewer sees in the game in the first few hours is what they review the game on. Currently, almost every damn complaint about the game is that it has missing content. My thoughts are that if you knew nothing about any content that is scheduled to be added 'at a later date', then this game would be completely fine. so basically, what i am trying to get at here is that just because the game does not contain promised content does not in fact make it a bad game. And every one around here seems to think that it does. If PD had never announced any extra content, and then added it to the game as a surprise, PD probably would have been the best company ever to allot more people. But just because they told us what was going to happen, people complained. I am not directing this at everyone at this site, heck not even close to most of you, i am directing this to the people who are complaining about the 'missing' course creator or B-spec or the likes. So if you think i am an idiot for saying this to you, I am probably not talking to you. And also, please forgive me for my lack of explaining skills. i really am bad at explaining things. :boggled:

Last edited:
I agree, same happened with GTAV, heists were promised at launch and communities the world over have not shut up about it in over a year! Be happy with the content you get and WAIT for the extra stuff. Making content updates takes time! Not to mention all this "Extra Content" is all completely free!

Where did I say they completed them?
Well how long do you want them to play the games then? Maybe one or two hours isn't long enough actually, i will edit that, but how long do you seriously expect them to play these games that they don't really care about?
Professional as in paid for their work, not as in not acting like a moron.
IGN's reviewers can be moronic. Point nullified. :lol:

Well for me I can say that I haven't read of the promises and I had no idea what they wanted to add, but when I got the game and they starting adding things, like brake paint, interior gauges, ayrton senna, sierra rally etc I was really happy, beacuse it shows that the game is recieveing more and more content which is... well amazing, aspecially that it is completly free! Most games have extra content from the start but you have to pay alot of money for it which is absurd, and here we have PD giving us let's say DLCs without any costs! This is actually amazing. At least form my perspective. I'm really satisfied with this game, and I've been playing this for over a year, at least once a day - taking some car for a spin or doing the seasionals.

Well for me I can say that I haven't read of the promises and I had no idea what they wanted to add, but when I got the game and they starting adding things, like brake paint, interior gauges, ayrton senna, sierra rally etc I was really happy, beacuse it shows that the game is recieveing more and more content which is... well amazing, aspecially that it is completly free! Most games have extra content from the start but you have to pay alot of money for it which is absurd, and here we have PD giving us let's say DLCs without any costs! This is actually amazing. At least form my perspective. I'm really satisfied with this game, and I've been playing this for over a year, at least once a day - taking some car for a spin or doing the seasionals.
Only 2 games now have free DLC in updates, GT6 and GTAV. Everything else is paid. Hell, you have to pay almost £10 for a goddamn voiceover on multiplayer on Killzone. £10!!!! for one voice over! Ridiculous. On GTAV and GT6 you get cars, weapons, clothing, planes, jets, weapons, missions, game modes and loads more FOR FREE! Granted you pay in game money and to get all DLC it would cost about £40+ of microtransactions BUT you can earn the money IN GAME. More games should be like this! And geuss whos fault it is that there is microtransactions and DLC? US, the consumers. We pay them money, for pointless content and for in game money, hell, GTA's Shark Cards are Take Two's biggest source of income right now behind game sales because people buy them for the new DLC on GTAV. We need more games like GT6, where you can earn money relatively easily and ALL DLC is able to be earned IN GAME.

Well how long do you want them to play the games then? Maybe one or two hours isn't long enough actually, i will edit that, but how long do you seriously expect them to play these games that they don't really care about?

Assuming you work, do you just do an hour or two because you don't like it? No, because it's your job.

IGN's reviewers can be moronic. Point nullified. :lol:

Hence stupid being part of my list. :P

Currently, almost every damn complaint about the game is that it has missing content.

The fact that you only see some of the issues with GT6, shows how many more problems this game has, which you do not notice

GT6 has lots of bugs, glitches, flaws with existing content and lots of people do not like that as well. For example, I don't want any new content, I want existing issues to be fixed.

Some examples of existing issues:

- physics engine, more specifically broken aerodynamics calculation,

- tuning parts/add-ons calculations are broken (unrealistic rpms for given HP, stage 2 has more power than stage 3, and so on),

- incorrect default car data (wrong transmission ratios, etc.)

- visual graphic issues: unrealistic onboard shadows, speed readings glitches, incorrect dashboard data, etc.

- suspension tuning issues: reversed ride height issue, camber not properly fixed, etc.

(And let me not start about sounds....)

So how about fixing existing stuff before adding new one?

Last edited:
YZF
The fact that you only see some of the issues with GT6, shows how many more problems this game has, which you do not notice

GT6 has a lot of bugs, glitches, flaws with existing content and lots of people do not like that as well. For example, I don't want any new content, I want existing issues to be fixed.

Some examples of existing issues:

- physics engine, more specifically broken aerodynamics calculation,

- tuning parts/add-ons calculations are broken (unrealistic rpms for given HP, and so on),

- visual graphic issues: unrealistic onboard shadows, speed readings glitches, incorrect dashboard data, etc.

- suspension tuning issues: reversed ride height issue, camber not properly fixed, etc.

(And let me not start about sounds....)
I am not directing this at everyone at this site, heck not even close to most of you, i am directing this to the people who are complaining about the 'missing' course creator or B-spec or the likes. So if you think i am an idiot for saying this to you, I am probably not talking to you.

Disagree, sure hype usually causes disappointment because the film game or whatever doesn't tend to live up to it.
I think the issue though is that its so nearly a great game & hence a disappointment because it came so close.
Many games evolve & improve over time, the developers don't promise to deliver the extra content they just fine tune the game over time as things come to light.
Stuff is missing from the previous game, some of it even added as updates supposedly because it was an improvement.
Lets just look at one aspect of the game, single player stuff that's not promised but should really be there.
Things you can do in online mode like, set tyre wear on slipstream levels etc. Improved AI would be nice it seems a direct port from the previous game with worse rubber banding. (The AI is still really slow at exactly the same points on the track it always was.)
An event creator so you can set up races you want, want to race classic cars choose opponents that are all classic road cars not a hodge podge mess, Arcade is worse than previous games max of 12 opponents I think it is & the AI is worse than normal so its virtually unplayable.
I think their are around 80 tracks in the game (including reverse) single player probably uses 60% of them.
What grates is there is all this great content but the game wont let you use it.
Take your favourite car pick one anyone & try to use it untuned or at the state of tune you like in races on 20 different tracks. You cant & that's only a quarter of the tracks available.
Sure it looks good on face value to a reviewer because he spends a short time with the game so doesn't realise how hamstrung it is.

Disagree, sure hype usually causes disappointment because the film game or whatever doesn't tend to live up to it.
I think the issue though is that its so nearly a great game & hence a disappointment because it came so close.
Many games evolve & improve over time, the developers don't promise to deliver the extra content they just fine tune the game over time as things come to light.
Stuff is missing from the previous game, some of it even added as updates supposedly because it was an improvement.
Lets just look at one aspect of the game, single player stuff that's not promised but should really be there.
Things you can do in online mode like, set tyre wear on slipstream levels etc. Improved AI would be nice it seems a direct port from the previous game with worse rubber banding. (The AI is still really slow at exactly the same points on the track it always was.)
An event creator so you can set up races you want, want to race classic cars choose opponents that are all classic road cars not a hodge podge mess, Arcade is worse than previous games max of 12 opponents I think it is & the AI is worse than normal so its virtually unplayable.
I think their are around 80 tracks in the game (including reverse) single player probably uses 60% of them.
What grates is there is all this great content but the game wont let you use it.
Take your favourite car pick one anyone & try to use it untuned or at the state of tune you like in races on 20 different tracks. You cant & that's only a quarter of the tracks available.
Sure it looks good on face value to a reviewer because he spends a short time with the game so doesn't realise how hamstrung it is.
This is his point. Theres too many people moaning about whats NOT there than what is. So what if there is no track or event creator. Theres plenty of tracks! Loads of events! Theres 1000 bloody cars! Theres a stable online mode! That's what a reviewer does. They focus on what the game has rather than what it lacks. Also you can use all the content. There's online, with hundreds of lobbies on all the different tracks daily. There's seasonals with different events on different tracks every few weeks! You try making a game like GT6 AS WELL as including FREE DLC every month or two

The reason some "professional" reviewers gave GT6 good scores is because they're clueless about racing games.

Anybody with a decent knowledge about racing games will notice in their first day with the game that GT6 lacks basic racing game features like proper races offline (with standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, flags & penalties, balanced grid, decent AI), it lacks basic online features (leaderboards for every track, friend invite, matchmaking), it has certain inconsistencies (premium/standard cars, premium/standard tracks, options that are available in one mode but unavailable in another), and it tries to make itself look bigger than it actually is (1200+ cars but a good number of them are clones, listing weather & no-weather versions of the same track as different tracks).

YZF
So why are you writing that then? Change the sentence to something else. Like "Complaints about missing content are because..."

:)
wait what? Look, i think what i mean is that every damn complaint that i have seen is about the thing i talked about. i thought you were going all hostile on me.

FS7
The reason some "professional" reviewers gave GT6 good scores is because they're clueless about racing games.

Anybody with a decent knowledge about racing games will notice in their first day with the game that GT6 lacks basic racing game features like proper races offline (with standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, flags & penalties, balanced grid, decent AI), it lacks basic online features (leaderboards for every track, friend invite, matchmaking), it has certain inconsistencies (premium/standard cars, premium/standard tracks, options that are available in one mode but unavailable in another), and it tries to make itself look bigger than it actually is (1200+ cars but a good number of them are clones, listing weather & no-weather versions of the same track as different tracks).
This is a Semi-Sim racer, like Forza its not Assetto Corsa here. GT is not a super realistic racing game. It's a vaguely realistic driving sim. Standing starts aren't totally necessary, there is fuel/tire wear (although the game hardly uses it) there is leaderboards, just not for each track, but for the seasonals, also, yes 1200 cars, about 200-300 are clones, that still leaves 800-900 cars, far more than any other racing game out there.

If your are a reviewer, chances are you haven't been following the hype, and have heard no promise of future updates, because it is pretty unrealistic for you to know about every game you review.

Anyone in a profession worth their salt should know about the job they are doing and keeping tabs on the industry that they work in. A reviewer should know what product they are reviewing, what old versions were like and what is expected of the newer product, otherwise they should find another job.

My thoughts are that if you knew nothing about any content that is scheduled to be added 'at a later date', then this game would be completely fine... If PD had never announced any extra content, and then added it to the game as a surprise, PD probably would have been the best company ever to allot more people.

I don't know what makes you come to this conclusion to be honest, as pretty much any game that has missing features/less content than a previous release gets very negative responses on various forums and gaming websites.

But just because they told us what was going to happen, people complained... i am directing this to the people who are complaining about the 'missing' course creator or B-spec or the likes.
Theres too many people moaning about whats NOT there than what is. So what if there is no track or event creator.

If you dangle a carrot in front of a consumer and imply that you will provide said service/content, no matter what the product is and which industry it is in, you are obliged to provide that by law. It's basic consumer protection that stops us getting fleeced when we hand over money to somebody that says they will exchange for it whatever service they advertise, and then run away with your money without fulfulling their half of the legal contract.

Anyone in a profession should know about the job they are doing and keeping tabs on the industry that you work in. A reviewer should know what game they are reviewing and what is expected, otherwise they should find another job.

I don't know what makes you come to this conclusion to be honest, as pretty much any game that has missing features/less content than a previous release gets very negative responses on various forums and gaming websites.

If you dangle a carrot in front of a consumer and imply that you will provide said service/content, no matter what the product is and which industry it is in, you are obliged to provide that by law. It's basic consumer protection that stops us getting fleeced when we hand over money to somebody that says they will exchange for it whatever service they advertise, and then run away with your money without fulfulling their half of the legal contract.
Granted, saying they would put in that stuff was a bad move considering they still haven't done it, but, in there defence, they never said WHEN these features would be brought to GT6. Also, they have still given you everything else, they gave you a working game in the first place. Then a whole community gets mad when 2 features aren't in a game.

Granted, saying they would put in that stuff was a bad move considering they still haven't done it, but, in there defence, they never said WHEN these features would be brought to GT6. Also, they have still given you everything else, they gave you a working game in the first place. Then a whole community gets mad when 2 features aren't in a game.
Thank you for defending me here. You obviously have more patience with these people than i do :)

This is a Semi-Sim racer, like Forza its not Assetto Corsa here. GT is not a super realistic racing game. It's a vaguely realistic driving sim. Standing starts aren't totally necessary, there is fuel/tire wear (although the game hardly uses it) there is leaderboards, just not for each track, but for the seasonals, also, yes 1200 cars, about 200-300 are clones, that still leaves 800-900 cars, far more than any other racing game out there.
If GT6 is a semi-sim than why does it say "the real driving simulator" on the cover?
Standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear & penalties are IN the game but for some stupid reason are available online only (standing starts/tire wear are available only in a few offline races). Why not make those things available in arcade mode so that players can setup proper races offline?
Why limit leaderbords to seasonals only? Why not have leaderboards for every track like every other game does?
As for clones, there's an article on the internet where the author shows that if we take away the clones in GT6 there's around 500 unique cars left.

GT6 does have some qualities, but it's missing a good number of basic racing game features that most other racing games have had for a while, that's the main reason people complain about it imo.

I'd think you would be able to claim that the service was not delivered within a reasonable time, just like if you went to a restaurant and it took them 5 days to deliver your meal, or if a logistics company took several months to deliver your parcel. In the same way that when your purchase an electronic device, you can still claim a replacement or refund if it becomes faulty years after you purchased the product, as it did not work for a reasonable amount of time.

I have no problem with people supporting a product they love like it's their first child, but I do not support a similar attitude like "Meh they didn't give me what I paid for but that's ok because it's shiny". Some of you may be ok with mega corporations bending you over with promises and/or false advertisement and then laughing their way to the bank, but I for one am not.

False advertisement is illegal no matter how you dance around it and it should never be defended. Ever.

Thank you for defending me here. You obviously have more patience with these people than i do :)
I have plenty of patience
FS7
If GT6 is a semi-sim than why does it say "the real driving simulator" on the cover?
Standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear & penalties are IN the game but for some stupid reason are available online only (standing starts/tire wear are available only in a few offline races). Why not make those things available in arcade mode so that players can setup proper races offline?
Why limit leaderbords to seasonals only? Why not have leaderboards for every track like every other game does?
As for clones, there's an article on the internet where the author shows that if we take away the clones in GT6 there's around 500 unique cars left.

GT6 does have some qualities, but it's missing a good number of basic racing game features that most other racing games have had for a while, that's the main reason people complain about it imo.
OK, 500 left, that's still a good 200-300 more than Forza 5. A good idea would be, write to PD addressing EVERYTHING you find wrong with GT6. It could work.
For gods sake its a marketing slogan.
It also says "THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR" You don't have pitstops, penalties and standing starts in "driving" only in racing. Assetto Corsa however has all these things therefore it is "Your RACING Simulator". Maybe we get these things in GT7. Maybe.

Currently, almost every damn complaint about the game is that it has missing content. My thoughts are that if you knew nothing about any content that is scheduled to be added 'at a later date', then this game would be completely fine.

Disagree. The reasons I fell out of love with the game wasn't because of "promised future features" but instead due to standard features from GT5 that were removed without explanation (shuffle races, endurance races, rally races, car trading, better lobby options, one-make races with any car, customizable mini-map, damage/fuel wear in arcade, etc.) as well as the atrocious "chase the rabbit" format used for races which basically forces you to get an overpowered car and blast by the rolling chicanes as fast as possible and doesn't let you enjoy door-to-door battles.

I could care less about the promised content that may or may not have arrived, because non of the promised features would have addressed these omissions or terrible race format. The only way for some of us to enjoy this game was to go online and race with friends, but the constant connection problems made even that a miserable experience a lot of the time. Eventually, enough was enough. The only thing about the promised content that upset me was that they spent precious time making all these fantasy cars instead of focusing on the core issues that ruined the game for some of us.

Last edited:
I'd think you would be able to claim that the service was not delivered within a reasonable time, just like if you went to a restaurant and it took them 5 days to deliver your meal, or if a logistics company took several months to deliver your parcel. In the same way that when your purchase an electronic device, you can still claim a replacement or refund if it becomes faulty years after you purchased the product, as it did not work for a reasonable amount of time.

I have no problem with people supporting a product they love like it's their first child, but I do not support a similar attitude like "Meh they didn't give me what I paid for but that's ok because it's shiny". Some of you may be ok with mega corporations bending you over with promises and/or false advertisement and then laughing their way to the bank, but I for one am not.

False advertisement is illegal no matter how you dance around it and it should never be defended. Ever.

Disagree. The reasons I fell out of love with the game wasn't because of "promised future features" but instead due to standard features from GT5 that were removed without explanation (shuffle races, endurance races, rally races, car trading, better lobby options, one-make races with any car, customizable mini-map, etc.) as well as the atrocious "chase the rabbit" format used for races which basically forces you to get an overpowered car and blast by the rolling chicanes as fast as possible and doesn't let you enjoy door-to-door battles.

I could care less about the promised content that may or may not have arrived, because non of the promised features would have addressed these omissions or terrible race format. The only way for some of us to enjoy this game was to go online and race with friends, but the constant connection problems made even that a miserable experience a lot of the time. Eventually, enough was enough. The only thing about the promised content that upset me was that they spent precious time making all these fantasy cars instead of focusing on the core issues that ruined the game for some of us.
I get a lot of people are outraged with PD and GT6. Features were removed, promised features heavily delayed. I'm not talking about just GT6. I'm talking about games in general. Its also kind of ironic though because people were mad that GT5 was delayed by several years while they say GT6 was rushed. Its too sides of the coin here. Do you want to wait 5 years for a complete game day 1, or wait 2 years and have content added as you play it? I play a lot of games and do not really care about features like photo mode, track maker, community features etc.

Back