No one seems to ever join my online lobbies. What am I doing wrong?

Canada
In his bedroom.
So yeah... I've got my microphone, I've set the rules to no nitrous, 580PP, 4 Laps on Mount Panorama with weak slow car boost, weak drafting physics, realistic grip loss, and only TCS/ABS assists available.

Also, I don't put any penalties because... I dunno, the way Gran Turismo gives 'em is kinda iffy IMO.

I keep hosting multiple races but no one ever seems to join or be interested.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there tracks that people tend to go to more often? I can't enjoy online mode if no one ever joins.

Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong with your room settings, most people in public lobbies just tend to use racing slicks with every single driver aid enabled, constantly ramming into others. Most randoms seem to just enjoy screwing around.

So yeah... I've got my microphone, I've set the rules to no nitrous, 580PP, 4 Laps on Mount Panorama with weak slow car boost, weak drafting physics, realistic grip loss, and only TCS/ABS assists available.

Also, I don't put any penalties because... I dunno, the way Gran Turismo gives 'em is kinda iffy IMO.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there tracks that people tend to go to more often? I can't enjoy online mode if no one ever joins.

Thanks in advance.

You probably won't enjoy online mode that much anyway unless you have a good group of friends in which to race with due to the random immature idiots that have no clue how to carry on with a nice, clean, fair race. If you're not that bothered by having to weed through the idiots, just do the Quick Match mode then. It will save you from having to go through the trouble of setting up the room and then hopelessly waiting for people to join. I myself don't even bother with online anymore....I've got a very low tolerance for ignorance, its bad for my blood pressure. :lol:

I second Mr Grumpy.

Also, if you're doing a street-level car race lobby, set tires to SH or lower, and all assists off. It will weed out the men from the boys. :D

Thirded! You can also try heavy damage, but then you might find the room is still a wasteland...

Another option is this: Spend time in other lobbies and get to know some folks and see how they run things. That way you a) see how popular rooms are run and b) you meet new friends who will be more likely to join a room you host 👍

It is difficult to fill a room in GT6 at the best of times. Here's a list of things that helps me.

1) Add every like minded driver you find online to your friends list.

2) Send a text invite to everyone on your friends list the moment you open a new lobby, make sure to include the room number in the text.

3) Send the same text to all players you have recently met (they will be under your friends names when sending messages).

4) Write "Lobby Open Now!" in your PS3 avatars comment.

5) Give a status update in GT6 that your room is open.

6) Post the room number up on GT Planet as a status update.

7) Post your room number up in the "Who's Online NOW" thread.

Sure, it might take 10-15 minutes to do all of that, but you probably won't have anyone join in that time anyway if you didn't do it. I usually have between 10 to 16 players after doing that & giving it an hour or so for the room to fill up.

All the best to you!

👍

Nothing wrong with your room settings, most people in public lobbies just tend to use racing slicks with every single driver aid enabled, constantly ramming into others. Most randoms seem to just enjoy screwing around.
Yeah, once me an TwinTurbo created a room, but no-one joined for ages. eventually i got bored and changed the room settings to pretty much no restrictions so that i could drive my 97T, and almost immediately people started joining. Then, once we had enough people for a cops and robbers game, i changed the settings back to what they were, and almost everyone left immediately. Shows just how many small children play this game online :D

Yeah build a list of friends that like similar types of racing to you, if at least one of them is online at any time then they'll join and with that will come others.

I've found that people tend to avoid empty rooms because they don't want to be the only person in there with the host or something... if there's already 3 or 4 people there the crowds will come.

Also, as somebody else said, boost off.

GTP open lobbies attract the "non circuit racer" crowd for the most part. GT5 was better in this regard, especially early on and GT6 seems to get worse and worse, what with Quick Races having huge payouts and Clubs now being organized. What's left for open lobbies are the punters, who just want to get in to cars and drive fast and don't care if they crash into you or anything else. Sad really.

I found online racing frustrating when I first started. The best rooms i have had luck in have been the rooms with only a few people, or rooms that are titled "clean or kick" or "gentleman racing."
The best racers that I have had the pleasure of racing with by far have been the ones that race in rooms that may suggest that intoxication is a component of their format, i.e. "DRUNK RACING-DEAL WITH IT" or "FRIDAY NIGHT DRUNKS." As obnoxious as these room titles sound, it was in these rooms I heard the "Golden Rule": rubbing is racing, but if you knock someone off the track, pull over and give the spot back."

This is what worked for me. :gtpflag:

Last edited:
VBR
2) Send a text invite to everyone on your friends list the moment you open a new lobby, make sure to include the room number in the text.
I always wonder, why is it that GT6 doesn't have a "friend invite" option like every other game? The lobby number thing is stupid & impractical, having a direct friend invite option would be way better. Click "friend invite", select people in your friend's list, they open your message, click the "join race" button, and you're good to go.
This is just one of many things in the game that make think that people at PD have never played other games and have no idea on how to do stuff in a practical way.

I second Mr Grumpy.

Also, if you're doing a street-level car race lobby, set tires to SH or lower, and all assists off. It will weed out the men from the boys. :D

Even doing that seems to get me nowhere.

Really annoying.
I log in pretty much everyday and end up racing with the same three friends all the time coz no one else likes it tough. As soon as they see aids off they bugger off..tho its better than certain players staying only to cause carnage :mad:

GTP open lobbies attract the "non circuit racer" crowd for the most part. GT5 was better in this regard, especially early on and GT6 seems to get worse and worse, what with Quick Races having huge payouts and Clubs now being organized. What's left for open lobbies are the punters, who just want to get in to cars and drive fast and don't care if they crash into you or anything else. Sad really.

So true unfortunately.
Last night for example I made a quick return to quick races as I had no friends online, didn't need the credits but really fancied a race. Tho I reckon I was about the 3rd / 4th fastest in the lobby racing with the Corvette LM I kept being hit heavily by R8s who missed just about every corner and kept on using the car in front as their own brakes so was always 5th-6th at the end of the race. Whilst waiting for the race it was even worse, absolutely no point in joining the track till the race started.
This is MEGA frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have no problem with assists being on in a room. I will generally allow them in any lobby I created. I do always run no boost, real slipstream and real grip settings and tires depend on the cars in use. If low PP then comfort tires at best, higher pp non race cars would be sport tires and race cars would be race tires.

I have not did much in public lobbies on GT6, was running private lobbies for a while but like the OP got bored racing with the same people all the time. I was hoping that they would give us an option to turn off collisions like they did in GT5 which would help keep the punters from crashing into people but so far they have not did this.

@FS7 - The 12 text message limit on PSN doesn't help either, it takes much longer than it could to text everyone on my friends list as well as all recently met players.

The Nurbugring (from what I've noticed) is the most popular track. I personally like to do track days without races. What I've found that works is to make the room a practice race lobby, then in the title insert "no race". choose the nurburgring, and within 10 minutes, usually people will start to join. definetly do what @VBR said as well.

Thanks in advance.

It takes time to get a group of people together, because players tend to join lobbies where there are already a handful of other players. Once you have 4-5 players in your lobby (which may take a while to get) you should see more and more players joining.

I would highly recommend joining other rooms that people are hosting with similar settings to your own, and meet people there. Once you get a few friends who enjoy similar styles of racing, you'll then have a pool of people who will be interested in your lobby. Just meet a few others and it'll make it much easier to fill up your room.

My recommendation is to start a club here. That will ensure clean races with people you know. Randoms aren't the greatest at clean racing sometimes...

Last edited:
Just like anything else in life, if you want to play games or sports or do fun things with other people, you need to build "relationships", even if it's just a racing relationship with other people, it's still based on some kind of social rules and requires some minimal personal effort to make connections.

Unless you want to just mess about for an hour here & there, and then you can go to the Quick Match w:censored:-house where it's no chat, nothing friendly, just racing for cash credits with PD's automatic system as the p:censored:P. :lol:

Otherwise, you're best to just start racing in other people's lobbies, clubs, or organized races here, and then add people as friends, and follow them to where they race... and at some point invite them to yours, and their friends will be following them to your room.

Most important thing I think is that people want to know what they're getting into.
You have to put a pretty descriptive title. Sort of hard with only 30 characters, but if you know the abbreviation jargon generally used, you can stuff a lot of info into that room comment.

Back