How to get used to driving with no aids?

• Thread starter Marc30599
  • 19 comments
United States
United States
Marc30599
I want to start driving with no aids like the ones people usually restrict in certain lobbies... Any help or advice?

not really. Most cars don't need any driving aids bar ABS to be fine to drive. Have you tried it yet? because if you had tried driving without any aids except ABS, you wouldn't be asking this question, as you would know how relatively easy it can be. Having said that though, there are certain cars that are handfuls to drive with no aids, so if you find it difficult, try another car. ;)

...........I started with really weak-sauce cars first...then slowly increased power/difficulty level. Even then I'm still not comfortable driving without ABS so most of the time I leave it on....

How I got used to using no aids was to re-run the game from the novice races,and work my way forward from there,as its easier to learn to deal with the handling changes with a lower pp/hp car than some supercar beast.
A few races(and wins) down the road,you'll wonder how you ever managed to drive with the aids on in the first place.

Use a low powered, easy to drive car and equip it with comfort hards. Take it to a relatively easy track with the driving line on and do a some laps. Once you get used to the track, turn of the driving line. That's all there is to it 👍 Just make sure that you use the right tyres, there's no use learning to drive with no aids but using overly grippy tyres. Also, if you haven't already, map accelerate and brake to the triggers, they give you much more control than the face buttons.

You'll get the hang of it for sure! What I did after constant use of aids until GT5 which was where I simply switched to manual, all aids off except ABS and it only took a few races to get used to. But as I said you'll get used to it 👍

Throttle control is important, especially on corner exit. Also, I'd suggest that you start with comfort and sports tyres and then you can move up to racing tyres once you've got the hang of it.

As for braking, it's important to set a good brake bias, so you don't lock up all the time. I set my brakes so that I can lock the wheels when I brake with full force (re-adjust when you change tyres). If you happen to lock the wheels when braking, just lift the brakes and apply again.

One step at a time.

I started with taking SRF off, and learning how to drive in different cars that way.
I then gradually reduced TC, and eventually learned how to drive with careful throttle control.
I eventually turned on manual shifting, and aced that.
I haven't turned ABS off as it can be a bit weird on DS3. Maybe if I get space to fit a wheel...

Surefire method. Buy a fresh FR-S/GT86 etc., or a Miata if you prefer something a little slower, change oil, buy comfort softs and practice. The car is relatively easy to drive with CS tires. Take a high speed course and a low speed course and practice all night. Once you're comfortable, meaning you can run consistent laps, lap after lap without incident, buy some comfort mediums and try again. Once you get that down, comfort hards.

Then move up in power to maybe an RX-8 or RX-7 and try the same thing. Stick to FR's at first as they are the easiest to drive, learning isn't about being a hero flinging the Stratos around the 'Ring, it's about learning the subtle nuances of power, grip, braking, weight shift etc and that's easier to do on an FR.

Continue to practice with various cars, gradually moving to MR's and higher powered cars. I don't recommend taking the aids off one by one, IMO it's too slow and each aid teaches you bad habits you won't get away with without them. Taking them all off and starting with an easy to drive car like the one's I mentioned is the best method.

Learning to drive without aids is like taking your learning wheels off.

You'll get the hang of it quicker than you realise.

Also yes, comfort tires are great for improving driving skill, but they'll make you realise how stupidly grippy SS-RS tires are in this game.

I love 400-500pp racing online with CM-SM tires! :D

Surefire method. Buy a fresh FR-S/GT86 etc., or a Miata if you prefer something a little slower, change oil, buy comfort softs and practice. The car is relatively easy to drive with CS tires. Take a high speed course and a low speed course and practice all night. Once you're comfortable, meaning you can run consistent laps, lap after lap without incident, buy some comfort mediums and try again. Once you get that down, comfort hards.

Then move up in power to maybe an RX-8 or RX-7 and try the same thing. Stick to FR's at first as they are the easiest to drive, learning isn't about being a hero flinging the Stratos around the 'Ring, it's about learning the subtle nuances of power, grip, braking, weight shift etc and that's easier to do on an FR.

Continue to practice with various cars, gradually moving to MR's and higher powered cars. I don't recommend taking the aids off one by one, IMO it's too slow and each aid teaches you bad habits you won't get away with without them. Taking them all off and starting with an easy to drive car like the one's I mentioned is the best method.
I agree--take off all assists asap and drive.

Everyone has already suggested everything you need :gtpflag:

And since we are on the aids off topic, does anyone know of lobbies run with no aids including abs? I often struggle to find one and when I create a lobby everyone runs away as soon as they see everything off :banghead:
I'm a huge fan of race cars but race street cars too :)

Thanks guys I actually did an online race today with all aids off except abs using a Raybrigs NSX on RS tires and the first lap I went spinning like crazy at Spa every time i slammed the throttle on corner exits I slid out due to the wheel spin... Then I got the hang of it after subsequent laps it was mainly learning how to lightly accelerate out corners I was taking my time doing it so ofcourse the others were leaving me in the dust..but that was my first experience with no aids...

Thanks guys I actually did an online race today with all aids off except abs using a Raybrigs NSX on RS tires and the first lap I went spinning like crazy at Spa every time i slammed the throttle on corner exits I slid out due to the wheel spin... Then I got the hang of it after subsequent laps it was mainly learning how to lightly accelerate out corners I was taking my time doing it so ofcourse the others were leaving me in the dust..but that was my first experience with no aids...
That's pretty much the opposite of how I'd do it but congratulations on your first race:tup:

Lower grade tires will teach you better control, I would start with low PP racing (road cars 400-450pp) on CS/SH before going to the fully fledged race cars.

Some people actually prefer the low pp racing, me included. You have to really push the car to the limit. I mean it's not like you're racing fiat 500's, these low pp cars are still capable of 150mph+ :D

It's good that you're learning nevertheless. 👍

And since we are on the aids off topic, does anyone know of lobbies run with no aids including abs? I often struggle to find one and when I create a lobby everyone runs away as soon as they see everything off :banghead:
I'm a huge fan of race cars but race street cars too :)
My club events generally allow abs, but when creating lobbies I ban all aids, enable heavy damage, strong penalties & tyre wear.
Feel free to add me to your friends list (PSN: FS7_x) as well as join my club (ID: 1012161).

Lower grade tires will teach you better control, I would start with low PP racing (road cars 400-450pp) on CS/SH before going to the fully fledged race cars.

Some people actually prefer the low pp racing, me included. You have to really push the car to the limit. I mean it's not like you're racing fiat 500's, these low pp cars are still capable of 150mph+ :D

It's good that you're learning nevertheless. 👍
Completely agree. In any game, GT included, in order to fully understand what's happening with the physics engine, IMO you need to drive cars on rubber that's more realistic, usually one or two grades down from stock. Only then will you really learn throttle control, how to brake properly, how to manage weight transfer, how to maintain the most beneficial slip angle, how to make a car over or understeer when you want it to etc. Unrealistically grippy tires mask everything that is happening with the car and make it tough to really learn how to drive fast.

Once you master those aspects of the game on higher and higher powered cars, driving a 550PP street car on SS tires or a GT500 car on RM's will literally seem like a joke to you it will have so much grip. More importantly, you'll be able to see through the unrealistically grippy tire compounds and know what is happening with the car and how to make it do what you want it to do, because of your experience on the lower compound tires.

Stick to FR's at first as they are the easiest to drive, learning isn't about being a hero flinging the Stratos around the 'Ring, it's about learning the subtle nuances of power, grip, braking, weight shift etc and that's easier to do on an FR.

And to add to that, FR cars have oversteer and understeer, so you'll learn how to deal with both.

Back