F1 2015 Testing

• Thread starter mikeerfol
  • 355 comments
Greece
Greece
mikeerfol96
B8rL5kvIQAAONIR.jpg

F1 starts tomorrow :cheers:

Is it going to be broadcasted live? And if so, will there be a specific channel transmitting it?

I remember last year I was terribly disappointed by the lack of TV coverage of these pre-season tests.

Is it going to be broadcasted live?
No. You'll get the live blogs from Autosport and F1 Fanatic and the like, but no televised coverage.

It's often said that testing is meaningless to outsiders. Teams run their own programmes at their own pace, and they don't advertise what they are doing at any given time. Times, therefore, are not representative, as there is no context given to them; we do not know the conditions under which they are set, and achieving the team's outcomes is more important than pure pace.

Furthermore, testing runs for twelve hours a day, for three straight days. A single test will therefore take up thirty-six hours, or the equivalent of eighteen Grands Prix. In order to televise it, a broadcaster would need to send a full production and camera crew, which is over a hundred people, plus book satellite time to transmit the signal. It's expensive enough getting it in place for a single race, let alone a thirty-six hour block of continuous coverage. But assuming that they could afford it, what would they do once they got there? Like I said, we don't know the conditions under which times are set, and neither will commentators. So a broadcaster would spend hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of dollars broadcasting a single test where all they can do is guess at what is happening. And where is the audience going to be? Testing takes place during the working week.

It's simply not worth it. Broadcasting pre-season testing for the sake of a few die-hard fans has never been (and will never be) a commercially viable option. And the last thing that the teams will want is a camera crew buzzing around and filming their cars (particularly the diffuser) and broadcasting it for the rest of the paddock to see and imitate for the first race.

Televising testing would bring even more useless hyperbole to F1.. and how that Practice sessions are covered so heavily I think we get enough of that :P

We usually get a few youtube "spy" videos from tests though. But yeah, absolutely, without even knowing half the stuff prisonermonkeys mentions, testing still doesn't have much appeal for tv.

Didn't know they had such incredibly long days (all things considered).

The circuit is about to open for Day 1. Red Bull are yet to launch their car, but I expect it's coming soon, but Lotus is running late, with parts of the E23 Hybrid still in transit.

Testing has been going for all of three hours and already Nico Rosberg has set a lap time four seconds faster than the fastest time set on the first day of testing last year.

And they are only expected to get faster.
Well, Pirelli was somewhat right then.

Keen to see how Alonso goes in the McLaren but I feel that all they'll be doing today is installation laps and general fault testing with the odd flying lap here and there.

He's not pushing too hard.

Teams run their own programmes at their own pace, and they don't advertise what they are doing at any given time.

A prime example of this in action: Alonso is seventeen seconds off Rosberg's ultimate pace. McLaren are clearly running their own programme to break the Honda engine in, but we have no idea what they would consider to be successfully achieving their objectives.

Last edited:
The Mclaren is running with limited power according to Ben Anderson (who ever he is). Which is to be expected.

Times at 14:00
1. Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:23.106 - 102 laps
2. Valtteri Bottas - Williams - 1:23:906 - 19 lap
3. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari - 1:24,000 - 16 laps
4. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull - 1:24.641 - 22 laps
5. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber - 1:24:804 - 30 laps
6. Carlos Sainz - Toro Rosso - 1:25.327 - 30 laps
7. Fernando Alonso - McLaren - 1:40.738 - 6 laps

Times at 14:00
1. Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:23.106 - 102 laps
2. Valtteri Bottas - Williams - 1:23:906 - 19 lap
3. Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari - 1:24,000 - 16 laps
4. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull - 1:24.641 - 22 laps
5. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber - 1:24:804 - 30 laps
6. Carlos Sainz - Toro Rosso - 1:25.327 - 30 laps

Vettel set the fastest time.

Not really that important but a bit encouraging from Ferrari. The Merc look race weekend ready though, incredible.

"Vettel beats Rosberg's benchmark, crossing with a 1:22.958."

Lotus is so far a no-show, due to "parts in transit".

Ferrari's pushing it. It seems at first glance they have a better car than last year. Vettel's on top by nearly half a second.

Times at 16:00
1.Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari - 1:22:690 - 36 laps
2. Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:23.106 - 136 laps
3. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull - 1:23.338 - 35 laps
4. Valtteri Bottas - Williams - 1:23.906 - 51 laps
5. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber - 1:24:383 - 50 laps
6. Carlos Sainz - Toro Rosso - 1:25.327 - 45 laps

Red Bull had battery, brake and engine issues, possibly still down on power.

McLaren having engine/chassis interface, possible sensor issues. Back end packed too tight? Not good.

Lotus may appear tomorrow.

Last edited:
Times at 16:00
1.Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari - 1:22:690 - 36 laps
2. Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 1:23.106 - 136 laps
3. Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull - 1:23.338 - 35 laps
4. Valtteri Bottas - Williams - 1:23.906 - 51 laps
5. Marcus Ericsson - Sauber - 1:24:383 - 50 laps
6. Carlos Sainz - Toro Rosso - 1:25.327 - 45 laps

Red Bull had battery, brake and engine issues, possibly still down on power.

McLaren having engine/chassis interface, possible sensor issues. Back end packed too tight? Not good.

Lotus may appear tomorrow.

Times are totally irrelevant, but I think number of laps is kinda a big deal... the fact that on the first day Nico has managed to do over double the distance of every other driver is a bit of a worry... (I'm a Lewis fan btw)... but worrying that Ferrari and Redbull are seemingly struggling compared to Sauber, Williams and TR...

I really hope that McLaren's day is going well though, would hate for them to arrive at Aus with engine issues, but it's impossible to say atm...

Yeah Rosberg ran more than double anyone else, The Mercs look so much more ready than anybody else, heck they'd race tomorrow with no issue by the looks of it.

Ferrari led the first day last year too so lap times aren't very relevant.

Mclaren look the most in trouble (of the runners anyway).

Yeah Rosberg ran more than double anyone else, The Mercs look so much more ready than anybody else, heck they'd race tomorrow with no issue by the looks of it.

Ferrari led the first day last year too so lap times aren't very relevant.

Mclaren look the most in trouble (of the runners anyway).

I think that's going too far, they have a brand new supplier for this season, you can only really compare there testing session to those of last year, and given how many issues Red Bull had with the Renault engine I think they are doing quite well all things considered.

Back