A/V Splitter help needed.

Canada
London, Ontario
Starky513
I have recently acquired an Elgato HD Game Capture. It goes through the A/V input of the PS3 to the Computer and TV, the problem is that the Turtle Beach PX21 also goes through the A/V. Can someone link me or explain to me what I can use to split it and use both?

You're lucky! You need nothing to buy.

Use the Turtle Beach cable to connect your HS. Then take the component cable adapter from your elgato and connect them. Red and white goes into black (or red and white too, depends on the cable) jacks and the yellow composite video cable to one of the coloured ones (I think it's the red one). THEN:Better buy a AV-Component cable for HD resolution. You can then directly connect the cable with the component adapter cable of your elgato (but with turtle beach cable in between).
4) When using Elgato Game Capture HD 1.2 software and above, you can also use Composite input, for 480i video.
Take sure that you have the right software and enable the composite signal option.

Done!

EDIT

I found a sweet video which shows all required steps. YES IT IS FOR WII BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER!
I'ts from 0:25 - 3:45!!!

Don't forget to use the Turtle Beach cable instead, as I wrote above!!!!

howdoesitwork_main_01_zps2ebf6216.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks an absolute ton man. Can't even explain how thankful I am to have gotten this info.. :)
No HD though :(
Only 480i with a composite cable (yellow red white)...

--
EDIT

Hang on...
Since the turtle beach only needs the sound jacks... BUY A AV-COMPONENT CABLE!
The only difference is that you'll have 3 video jacks instead of that single yellow one. And you also won't have to enable the composite option in the software. The jacks for the sound have the same colour and are next to eachother (don't confuse the red video jack with the red audio jack!)
Aaaaand it can carry signals with higher resolution, therefore you'll be able to record in HD!
This should result in a muuuuuch bettter vid quality, definitely worth a try! Resolution is up to 1080p/i then.

EDIT 2
Oh, he even mentions this in the video... :)

EDIT 3
Oh and the most important thing: Without component cable, you won't be able to play in HD. Following you really need one.

Doesn't have to be this one, I'm sure cheaper ones are available.
47048d1264368895-probleme-si-solutii-playstation-3-ps3-cable-component-av-2.jpg

Btw, I'm sorry that I told you that you don't have to buy anything. I didn't think about the resolution problematic.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was actually going to say, something wasn't right.. A fellow GTPer and myself, couldn't get it to work.. haha, No worries on buying the cables. I have no problem with that :)

Component cables still won't match HDMI quality though.

Component cables are HD, but since Sony decided to be stubborn and slap HDCP HDMI on, you can't get 1080p, only 1080i or 720p max.

Not a huge difference really, but there are work arounds I can show you, and seeing 1080p caps of GT5 is nothing short of brilliant when viewing it locally and uncompressed, you pretty much have the game playing on screen as it would straight through the system.

Good pick up though. I'm amazed at how awesome this new generation of capture hardware has become. Looking into upgrading from my PVR soon.

Latest Posts

Back