Ad with sound...

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 13 comments
Mexico
GTP_Coxis
Coxis
Just wanted to let you know that I just got an ad with sound. Very annoying considering I'm at work (Yes, yes, I know). :dopey:

The ad was for "Akamai". It featured some dude skiing and a message about the Sochi Olympics.

hD04BB90A

Haven't had it yet (only viewed a few pages here today, and have my speakers off and headphones unplugged), but ads with audio used to be a huge annoyance back when I browsed with headphones and sound on. Because they run off the master volume control, not the YouTube volume control I used to control loudness. So I'd be browsing the NFSUnlimited showrooms and suddenly CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE WON A FREE IPOD NANO! CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR FREE IPOD NANO!

hD04BB90A

Haven't had it yet (only viewed a few pages here today, and have my speakers off and headphones unplugged), but ads with audio used to be a huge annoyance back when I browsed with headphones and sound on. Because they run off the master volume control, not the YouTube volume control I used to control loudness. So I'd be browsing the NFSUnlimited showrooms and suddenly CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE WON A FREE IPOD NANO! CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR FREE IPOD NANO!

You forgot the "bonus" malware.

Been getting these a lot more than usual recently. I had one playing for about 5 minutes and I didn't know what the humming was :dunce:

Probably out of my need to know area. But I'm just curious, is the spawning of new, odd ads, from Mal-ware on persons computer or has GTP become a little vulnerable after update 12?

Probably out of my need to know area. But I'm just curious, is the spawning of new, odd ads, from Mal-ware on persons computer or has GTP become a little vulnerable after update 12?
GTP12 has far more malware/annoying/weird ad crap than before.

GTP12 has far more malware/annoying/weird ad crap than before.
It absolutely does not.

There are no additional ads (fewer, in fact), no changes to the ads which remain, there has never been an issue of malware, and none of the issues over the past few months were the result of a "vulnerability".

Some of these new ads for war games of sorts are quite odd, because when you scroll with the keys, it starts playing some kind of demo version of the game. Really weird.

I did have an ad that was a trailer for something or other, and sometimes it would seem to start playing of it's own accord. Quiet a surprise sometimes... especially for the other people in my office! :D

So, today I got this:
14464830072_dde563ef56_o.png

A pop-up survey request that popped out on its own and goes back into hiding a few seconds after it comes up.

You know, hsv010's comment may be an utter exaggeration, but one has to acknowledge that these advert issues have been more common ever since GTP12. Ads with sound, ads larger than their intended size, ads for premium users...

No malware whatsoever though, so that I can't agree with.

I've blocked "voicefive", though a quick Google search shows that those types of pop-ups are often associated with malware running on the computer. I would definitely recommend a scan of your system, Coxis.

Thanks Jordan, I don't think that's likely but I will definitely check my system.

All of the offending adds I have gotten appear only when I'm connected to my work's VPN (USA). Whenever I'm off the VPN, I get different ads, but never pop ups or sound enabled. It's like USA ads are more "sophisticated" so to speak.

Even then, the last time I got a bad add was in April (see OP date).

Back