Adding your ballast

• Thread starter sik180sx
  • 13 comments
Australia
mackay,qld
sik180_tR
Hey guys and girls,curiosity has got the better of me and i was wondering?Who actually adds their weight to a vehicle in ballast?
Considering all vehicles in GT are kerb weight,i myself add 85kg :lol:

As i said just my curiosity kicking in,sorry if this has been asked elsewhere :dunce:

Last edited:
I add some on vehicles that need reshuffling of weight distribution.

For the Supra RZ though, I bought Weight reduction stage 3, then add all 200 kilos of it and slide all the way to the right, just to get its real life weight distribution of 51:49 (and as well having noticed less wheelspin too).

And on KTMs, I add 10 kilos amd move the slider to the left, as stability is their biggest issue.

I think this was more a adding your personal weight question. As realism me thinks.

Never considered it myself actually.

Hey guys and girls,curiosity has got the better of me and i was wondering?Who actually adds there weight to a vehicle in ballast?
Considering all vehicles in GT are kerb weight,i myself add 85kg :lol:

As i said just my curiosity kicking in,sorry if this has been asked elsewhere :dunce:

Interesting, I've done a similar thing for different transmission choices, I looked up the difference between the base weight of a car with or without a DSG, and the game had the manual weight, so I added the weight of the DSG to make it more accurate.

in regards to your personal weight, I think they would take this into account... without knowing anyone's actual weight, they would probably put in an average of say 70-75kgs, so I'd "guess" a 10kg ballast would make up the difference for you, but there might be a way to confirm what the driver weight in the car actually is, I just don't know how to confirm it.

@Conza it would be good too see what your actual race weight is,because from most of my research the cars in game show their kerb weight(weight which includes all fluids but no driver)in the settings menu/car sales screen.
If only they had scales on the side of each track :lol:

I've actually thought about doing this but never put it into practice! I'm pretty sure the drivers (and passengers) weight is adjustable in Live for Speed, although it's been a long, long time since I've played that. You would think that GT, and with other driving sims, accounted for this but it would be great to get some confirmation.

@Cap'n Jack You are correct,it can be done in LFS,much better implementation compared too what GT offers.
I do it for the added realism,it can also make a lot of cars(when matched with more realistic tyres,which is a different thread for a different day)actually match(or a heck of a lot closer) to their real life 1/4 mile times and accelleration figures.

not really related but a little bbit

i noticed in a championship i drive in is that peoples who have weight penalties
are faster in curves
and unbeatable in heavy rain conditions
i only noticed that since a few weeks, it wasn't like that a month ago
ex:
Z4 GT3 on suzuka
first partial time i'm behind for 2"300
Second partial i'm behind for 2"500
Final time i'm behind for 2"800
i really like the first partial and do it well
the brake part of the first two right corners, the five following curves two
looking at the trend, he is faster for 2 second in the first part
where i expected him to be slower because of more weight (and so slipping)
he had a huge advantage

so back on topic, adding your weight can be a good advantage
i had a dream that in a kind of "GATTACA world"
our real height, weight would affect our vision in the car and performance of it

"what ? you want me to put carbon fiber everywhere to reduce the weight of the car ?
you will only gain 15 Kg, better loose that fat belly man ... better gain for less money ..."

I add some on vehicles that need reshuffling of weight distribution.

For the Supra RZ though, I bought Weight reduction stage 3, then add all 200 kilos of it and slide all the way to the right, just to get its real life weight distribution of 51:49 (and as well having noticed less wheelspin too).

And on KTMs, I add 10 kilos amd move the slider to the left, as stability is their biggest issue.

actually the RZ is 53:47

Hmmm... I stand 188cm tall and weigh in on around 100kg. I think I will not add that weight. Sadly, even if I lose my overweight, I still weigh in at 92-95. I could probably slim down to about 85 if I was actually racing cars, but I need the extra muscle in my day job.

I could ad a realistic 85 though. Indeed, I like the idea, and I think I'll give it a go :-)

If GT6 were "The Real Tuning Simulator" we would have the ability to add driver weight just to the driver's seat and have the ability to use corner weighting for wedge. But sadly, it doesn't exist in the game.

If GT6 were "The Real Tuning Simulator" we would have the ability to add driver weight just to the driver's seat and have the ability to use corner weighting for wedge. But sadly, it doesn't exist in the game.
Agree'd but for now,its the best i can do.

not really related but a little bbit

i noticed in a championship i drive in is that peoples who have weight penalties
are faster in curves
and unbeatable in heavy rain conditions
i only noticed that since a few weeks, it wasn't like that a month ago
ex:
Z4 GT3 on suzuka
first partial time i'm behind for 2"300
Second partial i'm behind for 2"500
Final time i'm behind for 2"800
i really like the first partial and do it well
the brake part of the first two right corners, the five following curves two
looking at the trend, he is faster for 2 second in the first part
where i expected him to be slower because of more weight (and so slipping)
he had a huge advantage

so back on topic, adding your weight can be a good advantage
i had a dream that in a kind of "GATTACA world"
our real height, weight would affect our vision in the car and performance of it

"what ? you want me to put carbon fiber everywhere to reduce the weight of the car ?
you will only gain 15 Kg, better loose that fat belly man ... better gain for less money ..."
Don't forget that they're getting weight penalties for being faster in the first place. When you add ballast you have to rework the tune...no one is going to find their car slowing down due to ballast acceptable...so they're going to set it up just to be even faster. Might affect them in a straight line, but they're just going to tweak the suspension down to a science to get around weight penalties in a series.

If they're quicker around turns in the dry, they're going to of course be even better over others in the rain on equal tires. Rain also makes you faster up to 15% surface water. Idk why and it shouldn't be that way obviously, but it is.

Latest Posts

Back