Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ That's a good idea, I imagine we're probably going to need something like this. We already have near capacity for all 4 weekly races and there's still 3 weeks until the season starts. I realize not everyone that said they're available for all races will always be available, but it's better to start planning for it now while we have time to adapt. What WRP proposed is probably the quickest/easiest solution, and I always like to keep things simple so we'll keep that idea at the top of the pile. Thanks Tim. 👍

^It's a solid option that works, but if there are more than 16 drivers who declared a primary race slot and all want to come, plus some reserves/non-primary night drivers who want to race as well, we could use another option. Given that this series values flexibility and giving everyone multiple chances to race, I think we could try splitting the field into two rooms (just as an example -sort all signed up for a slot by current points standing and odd-numbered go to room 1 and evens go to room 2), have two races with points awarded by total time, so you race both against people in your room directly and against drivers in the other room.

Last edited:
^It's a solid option that works, but if there are more than 16 drivers who declared a primary race slot and all want to come, plus some reserves/non-primary night drivers who want to race as well, we could use another option. Given that this series values flexibility and giving everyone multiple chances to race, I think we could try splitting the field into two rooms (just as an example -sort all signed up for a slot by current points standing and odd-numbered go to room 1 and evens go to room 2), have two races with points awarded by total time, so you race both against people in your room directly and against drivers in the other room.

Good plan. But, I was already trying to cut back on weekly hosting and this plan would require me to host up to 6 races per week and I don't think I have the time/desire for that. Others have volunteered to help out with hosting but most don't have as free a schedule as I do (no kids/wife) so being able to commit weekly may not be possible.

Plus, if I have to make RDAardvark re-work the points spreadsheet again I'm afraid he'll book the first ticket across the pond just to strangle me. :nervous:

Anyone gonna be around for Alfa practice tonight?

Probably. I have some other GT5 business I have to take care of for a couple hours after work but will probably be free by 8pm EST or so. But anyone's free to open up the ORCA_Champ lounge before that if they desire. Just post here so everyone knows it's open 👍

Good to see you on-board here, WRP. 👍

I've got a question: will there be changeable weather in the races that permit it?

But, I was already trying to cut back on weekly hosting and this plan would require me to host up to 6 races per week and I don't think I have the time/desire for that.
Yes, it requires a volunteer/capable host for a second room. You won't be capable of hosting both since the time slot would be the same. Points sheet reworking shouldn't be too involved. We already enter total time, so sorting on it shouldn't complicate things too much. Anyway, we're not there yet in terms of sign-ups. Just something to think about if we end-up where we have to deny more than 1-3 drivers a chance to race in a single slot.

Yes, it requires a volunteer/capable host for a second room. You won't be capable of hosting both since the time slot would be the same. Points sheet reworking shouldn't be too involved. We already enter total time, so sorting on it shouldn't complicate things too much. Anyway, we're not there yet in terms of sign-ups. Just something to think about if we end-up where we have to deny more than 1-3 drivers a chance to race in a single slot.

Our spreadsheet is rather complicated with the best finish of the week counting, the double-headers and enduro's, the bonus points and dropping two complete rounds. All that stuff is figured in with formulae to automatically be sorted. Just adding the Friday race created enough Irish swearing that I could hear it all the way over here! So for now anything involving spreadsheet modification will be a last resort.

Hopefully we don't ever have to turn anybody away, but if we end up at that point then running 2 simultaneous rooms may be the only option. We'll probably need at least a couple ideas on tap that can cover different options and we'll play it by ear from there. I've got my eye on the situation and will continue to evaluate as more people sign up. 👍

At the moment the point system goes from 25 points for first place down to 1 point for 16th place. So how could point be allocated if there were say 22 drivers split over two rooms? If I came in third in a race but find I've got the 13th fastest race time overall, how many points do I get? And how many does the 22nd person get? There's the potential for 32 drivers here, but only 25 points per race are on offer.

Or am I overthinking this and making it more complicated than it actually is?
(Wouldn't be the first time!)

At the moment the point system goes from 25 points for first place down to 1 point for 16th place. So how could point be allocated if there were say 22 drivers split over two rooms? If I came in third in a race but find I've got the 13th fastest race time overall, how many points do I get? And how many does the 22nd person get? There's the potential for 32 drivers here, but only 25 points per race are on offer.

Or am I overthinking this and making it more complicated than it actually is?
(Wouldn't be the first time!)

You've analyzed it correctly, it's just a matter of whether it's an issue or not. For the last 2 seasons we've let people race multiple times and only counted their best finish so it's possible for 3 different people to all score 50 points for the week (essentially 3 first place finishers). But over the span of 6 weeks/18 races it tends to naturally balance itself out. The same logic could be applied to having 2 races in 1 night using the existing points structure, potentially having 2 "winners" for the night and hope that it balances out over the course of the season.

However, if we were doing it based on overall elapsed time as DSG suggested then the points system would probably need overhauled to account for 32 possible drivers. That's something I don't want to do unless it's absolutely necessary. The smartest thing to do would probably be to close registration at some point and only accept so many drivers. We've always let people come and go as they please and it's never been a problem but that may not be feasible any more. I'll crunch some numbers, I'd think we could probably comfortably handle 30-35 drivers that would naturally spread out over the 4 time slots based on their region/schedule. The UK drivers will mostly only be available for 2 of the 4 time slots and most of the NA drivers will only be available for 3 of the 4 time slots which should help spread things out a bit.

Colour choice

MR_T3Z
Body: GT OLD GENERATION 005-W.
Wheels: Black

Thank you to the organisers, hope the championship is a success, look forward to racing with you all.

Last edited:
If you wait half an hour from the time this message was posted, you should be able to see totals on how many have declared each night as their primary night. View this here.

If you have a full room just ask for people to volunteer to drop, if they can make another session that week, I'm sure they will. As a last report you could just give priority to those with larger point totals.

If you wait half an hour from the time this message was posted, you should be able to see totals on how many have declared each night as their primary night. View this here.

Thanks RD, that's going to be very helpful to get a really good idea of who's going to be where and when they're going to be there. I'm not real worried about anything at this point, but it's never too early to start discussing a Plan B. I don't like having to make changes mid-season but we've got time to prepare so hopefully we'll be fine. 👍

Yeah. I would not mind shaking down my Alfa to see how competitive it will be at 176, (without a gear tune yet). Kind of hoping to get in on the weekly or nightly racing really though. Don't know if I will make all The Z cup events

I'll drop in for a bit between 8 and 8:30. Feel free to open the lounge whoever you want, just remember that you won't see the yellow dot above the coffee cup even if people are in there. Just click the cup to see who's in the lounge. 👍

I dont know if im the only one who just noticed this, but theres a GT-R seasonal time trial and you get a GT-R spec V (GT Academy Special) just for driving it. Go get a free car

^You just beat me to it. The ORCA_Champ lounge is open for practice. I'm logged into the account so I can accept any new friend requests on PSN.

I dont know if im the only one who just noticed this, but theres a GT-R seasonal time trial and you get a GT-R spec V (GT Academy Special) just for driving it. Go get a free car

You are correct Torzilla:tup:...you are the only who just noticed this:sly:

Good news everyone! We found a handicap system for DSG. Tonight we did a 4 lap race at Monaco and he raced in cockpit view (not his norm) with all of the HUD turned off and, well, look what happened........

imagehux.jpg

(I was logged in as ORCA_Champ)

:lol:

It should, we've been running it extensively with "tuning prohibited" on sports soft tires. Make sure all your settings are at default, if you've put different wheels on it you may have to reset your gear ratios as the different diameter throws them out of whack.

If you have installed any non-removeable parts it will not allow you on the track, but we do have a stash of 1965 tickets we can send out so you don't have to spend your hard earned cash. 👍

Hey i would love to join this series but cant really spend 10 MIL a car. Hoping you still have some tickets left.

B - SPEC

Historic Racing Car Cup: Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2 carrozzata da ZAGATO CN.AR750106 ‘65 (P)

I dont know if anyone else noticed this but you can get this car for beating this race

I dont own any historic racing cars so i cant do this event anyways so i was hoping you could still send the ticket.

Good news everyone! We found a handicap system for DSG. Tonight we did a 4 lap race at Monaco and he raced in cockpit view (not his norm) with all of the HUD turned off and, well, look what happened........

(I was logged in as ORCA_Champ)

:lol:

Trouble is, that'll only be a temporary handicap.
Perhaps we should make him hook up his ps3 to a 1965 tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back