All 6 Toyota MR2s tested @ Suzuka!

United States
NJ
Rave2Grave
To know the roots of a thing is to know its purpose. In the case of the MR2, it was released to the public in 1984, the same year I was born, and was designed to be economical yet sporty with a 1.6L engine weighing 1,070 kg or 1,120 kg depending on trim. In the USA, Pontiac had released its own mid-engined car in 1984 to compete, and it was called the Fiero. Unlike the MR2, the Fiero was plagued with reliability issues and was equipped with a less economical 2.5L 4cyl or an optional 2.8L V6. It was also uglier, but that's just my opinion.

The 2nd generation MR2 took the sporty, economical nature of the original to another level with the introduction of the 2.0L turbo 3S-GTE engine shared with the Celica GT-Four and even the Supra JGTC cars. This is one of the best Toyota engines of all time, right next to the 2JZ 3.0 I-6. The only downside of this generation is that the handling is, well, a handful. Keeping the car composed in the corners takes so much focus that the car sort of becomes a chore, and I began thinking I'd be better off in a traditional front-engined car.

Most people really dislike the 3rd generation MR2, but I would have to put it at #1. It sheds its roof and 300 kg (661 lbs) off the weight of the 2nd gen MR2 GT-S. It's even 100 kg (220 lbs) lighter than the 1st generation MR2 Supercharged! The MR2 Spyder has only 2 fewer horses than that MR2 and nearly as much torque. This makes the MR2 Spyder a very smooth car to drive fast, unlike the snappy 2nd gen car. This is what the MR2 was destined to be. I would prefer a fixed roof, but I wouldn't complain about being able to put the top down on a nice day!

Sport Hard tires, no oil change!

2:26.554 - 434 pp - Toyota MR2 GT-S '97
2:31.176 - 403 pp - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
2:32.945 - 376 pp - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
2:33.818 - 377 pp - Toyota MR2 Spyder '99
2:36.915 - 371 pp - Toyota MR2 G-Limited Super Charger '86
2:40.205 - 353 pp - Toyota MR2 1600 G '86

Last edited:
To know the roots of a thing is to know its purpose. In the case of the MR2, it was released to the public in 1984, the same year I was born, and was designed to be economical yet sporty with a 1.6L engine weighing 1,070 kg or 1,120 kg depending on trim. In the USA, Pontiac had released its own mid-engined car in 1984 to compete, and it was called the Fiero. Unlike the MR2, the Fiero was plagued with reliability issues and was equipped with a less economical 2.5L 4cyl or an optional 2.8L V6. It was also uglier, but that's just my opinion.

The 2nd generation MR2 took the sporty, economical nature of the original to another level with the introduction of the 2.0L turbo 3S-GTE engine shared with the Celica GT-Four and even the Supra JGTC cars. This is one of the best Toyota engines of all time, right next to the 2JZ 3.0 V6. The only downside of this generation is that the handling is, well, a handful. Keeping the car composed in the corners takes so much focus that the car sort of becomes a chore, and I began thinking I'd be better off in a traditional front-engined car.

Most people really dislike the 3rd generation MR2, but I would have to put it at #1. It sheds its roof and 300 kg (661 lbs) off the weight of the 2nd gen MR2 GT-S. It's even 100 kg (220 lbs) lighter than the 1st generation MR2 Supercharged! The MR2 Spyder has only 2 fewer horses than that MR2 and nearly as much torque. This makes the MR2 Spyder a very smooth car to drive fast, unlike the snappy 2nd gen car. This is what the MR2 was destined to be. I would prefer a fixed roof, but I wouldn't complain about being able to put the top down on a nice day!

Sport Hard tires, no oil change!

2:26.554 - 434 pp - Toyota MR2 GT-S '97
2:31.176 - 403 pp - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
2:32.945 - 376 pp - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
2:33.818 - 377 pp - Toyota MR2 Spyder '99
2:36.915 - 371 pp - Toyota MR2 G-Limited Super Charger '86
2:40.205 - 353 pp - Toyota MR2 1600 G '86

The 2JZ is an inline six.

Yeah I can go almost as fast at 450pp with the GT-S as say a s15 or rx8 SC but you have to drive much better with more concentration to achieve similar speeds.

Fun though for short periods. 2zzge MR-2 would have been a great car.

Good job Suzuka. My personal favorite is the 97 GT-S. Not a big fan of the Spyder maybe I will give it another look

Fiero was WAY better looking (GT model, the regular model was butt-fugly). Not a better car......though it could have been with a bit of effort and refinement......but certainly better looking.

I WISH the Fiero was in GT. Just because it was direct competition for the MR2, and also for the fact that it's a fairly historic car as the only production American MR car until the new GT40 street car came out. Not to mention I personally think the Fiero GT is an absolutely gorgeous car on the outside. I swear, if I ever get rich my first fantasy vehicle purchase would be an 88 Fiero GT, would have the whole thing torn apart, chassis reinforced, good brakes, proper suspension and a supercharged 3800. I just imagine it being SUPURB.

Sorry for the OT rant, but to be fair, the OP is the one who brought it up......so I blame him. ;)

I SO wanted the TOM'S TO20 to make a triumphant return to the GT series, but alas, we get the late 90's model sw20's in standard form and the choice of either the big shogun wing :crazy: , no wing:crazy:, or the butt-awful "custom wings" :crazy:. None of which allow me to reproduce the super sexy look of the 91-93 MR2 with its well known sleek rear wing.

modp-1205-03%2B1991-toyota-mr2%2Brear-view.jpg

Also, IRL the sw20's infamous snappiness can be tamed with a slight tire pressure decrease/ touch of toe IN for the rear - leaving you with one of the most pleasurable driving experiences mankind has ever witnessed.

👍

Last edited:
First gen is depicted poorly as well. I'm convinced one of the designers rendered the engine lid vents from (a very vague) memory.

Last edited:
Being an older guy, I can appreciate the context of the first gen's design.

That said, give me a 3rd gen with 2ZZ 190 hp swap any day over the other 2 generations.

Being an older guy, I can appreciate the context of the first gen's design.

That said, give me a 3rd gen with 2ZZ 190 hp swap any day over the other 2 generations.

I like the AW11 over the SW20, I hate the looks of the ZZW30.

I'm not a fan of the 3rd gen's appearance either, but given the chance I would trade my AW11 for one just to get rid of the headaches from owning a 27 year old car.

My wife used to have an MR2 till she rolled it over. I hoped she'd get another but her dad found her a cheap MG instead.

Edit: I just remembered the time we drove through a blizzard in it with the top down in coats & hats during a severe weather warning. Good times.

I SO wanted the TOM'S TO20 to make a triumphant return to the GT series, but alas, we get the late 90's model sw20's in standard form and the choice of either the big shogun wing :crazy: , no wing:crazy:, or the butt-awful "custom wings" :crazy:. None of which allow me to reproduce the super sexy look of the 91-93 MR2 with its well known sleek rear wing.

modp-1205-03%2B1991-toyota-mr2%2Brear-view.jpg

Also, IRL the sw20's infamous snappiness can be tamed with a slight tire pressure decrease/ touch of toe IN for the rear - leaving you with one of the most pleasurable driving experiences mankind has ever witnessed.

👍

I totally agree with you - too bad tyre pressure is not in Gt6 :(

="SmellyWallrus, post: 10082794, member: 158236"]Well, while we are on the subject, here's my Mk2 Rev 3 turbo.

An outstanding handling, economical sports car, shame PD couldn't convert this into the game.

Nice what bar is it running ?

Back