All Circuit de la Sarthe photos

• Thread starter VR46 Fan
  • 142 comments
CircuitdelaSarthe20093.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/fastimmy99/CircuitdelaSarthe20093.jpg

Hi, i feel almost ashamed to post my pic here, it all looks so good!

From the MR champ, blocking my way to win.:dopey:

Wow some of these are outstanding! Especially the pit shots :)

I only have a couple of La Sarthe shots atm ...Think I'll take some more once the missus is done beasting Super Stardust ;) It is my favourite track of all time after all.

6705607703_4a208ae212_b.jpg

6721533059_30d3bc38f3_b.jpg

I'll admit they don't really showcase the track... More to come.

This is probably one of the most amazing crashes in racing history and it didn’t have to happen because there were many warnings. You see, at the Thursday qualifying session before the 1999 24 Hours of Le Mans, current F1 driver for Red Bull-Renault, Mark Webber, flipped his #4 Mercedes-AMG CLR. The car was repaired and poor Mark was sent out again only to flip ( http://www.mulsannescorner.com/benzCLR1.html ) spectacularly on Saturday practice before the race at the hump before the Mulsanne corner. This time the car was totaled. The CLR’s aerodynamic development was not fully completed and to make things worse, the rear wing was lowered to increase their top speed. So after the crash, the CLR’s were given front winglets and sent off to complete their infamous destiny. Just before nightfall, the #5 CLR driven by Peter Dumbreck flipped fantastically 3 times and crashed in the woods just before the Indianapolis corner.

Last edited:

A funny thing happened on the way to the podium. Sometime after 3:00 am, during the 1967 24 Hours of Le Mans, Dan Gurney found himself thinking that they may actually win. This same feeling, that Ford may win, came upon Mike Parkes driving behind Gurney in 2nd place on the #21, Ferrari 330 P4 (still in the coupé configuration). Other than actually crashing into the Ford GT40 Mk. IV, Parkes had a “better” idea to win the race. For the past 4 or 5 laps, Parkes, flashed his high beam lamps in order to distract and make Gurney crash. Gurney recognized that it was taking effect and that he needed to do something. So, after turning on the Mulssane corner, the Ford driver found a clearing and stopped the car! The Ferrari did likewise. This seemed to take forever and was too much pressure for Parkes and so he raced off with Gurney in pursuit. Eventually, Gurney passed Parks, who never flashed the lights again. At the end of the race, the #1 Ford won the race by four laps with the #21 Ferrari 2nd and #24 Ferrari 3rd.

Back