An easy "fix" for PD to improve sound in GT6?

• Thread starter markotark
  • 11 comments
Finland
Finland
markotark
While i've played the Gran Turismo-series from the beginning, this is the first time visiting this forum, so excuse me if this issue has been talked about before.

So, on to the issue.

I've noticed that the car sounds are a bit better from the roof-top or chase cam as they seem to include lot more of the exhaust sound in the mix as opposed to the nose or in-car cams that have that intake noise that makes the cars sound lot more like those famous vacuum cleaners.

But for me, those two views that have the better sound are the two views that i can't properly use to drive cars.

So, could it be possible for PD to change the game so that the players could choose from what camera view they would like their sound mix to come when they play in the front or in-car view?

Has someone else thought about this?

Its a reasonable short-term partial option, but the whole issue of sound in GT is broad in scope and won't be addressed by what amounts to a "gimmick"

Its a reasonable short-term partial option, but the whole issue of sound in GT is broad in scope and won't be addressed by what amounts to a "gimmick"

Yes, i agree. The sound system in the NEXT game has to be on a whole new level.

And i was just thinking that this might just be that "reasonable short-term" gimmick to apply on the existing game.

Yes, i agree. The sound system in the NEXT game has to be on a whole new level.

And i was just thinking that this might just be that "reasonable short-term" gimmick to apply on the existing game.

I think this is what they tried to do in update 1.12. The clattery buzz that I think is supposed to be the engine was toned down, the turbo noise was made more prominent, and overall, exhausts seem louder in all views. It has worked to a small extent, but it's very much a "band-aid fix" for the gaping bullet wound that is GT's sound system. The problems run much deeper than just tinkering with the current setup can fix, such as the inaccurate allocation of sounds. This is particularly notable with the number of new GT6 cars which reuse sounds, such as the Huayra (uses 458 sound files), the SLS GT3 (has V12 Vantage sounds), the FXX (Vantage again) and BRZ GT300 (has the generic boxer exhaust note as used on a number of racing Subarus). This highlights the another aspect of the issue of inaccurate sound allocation - the fact is that PDI's current sound library is nowhere near big enough to make new cars sound right. This again requires recording to be undertaken.

The glimmer of hope for GT7 and this mysterious new sound system are the Red Bulls and Senna update cars, as well as their recruitment drive on the Pit Stop blog. I just find it a tad worrying that despite PDI surely being aware of the poor sounds for some time that it took until very recently to actually tackle the problem head on by expanding the sound department with experienced individuals - I remember reading somewhere that Kaz was unhappy even with GT1's sounds. I suppose they've at least got their act together now, and we'll just have to see where GT7 goes from here.

Last edited:
I think this is what they tried to do in update 1.12. The clattery buzz that I think is supposed to be the engine was toned down, the turbo noise was made more prominent, and overall, exhausts seem louder in all views. It has worked to a small extent, but it's very much a "band-aid fix" for the gaping bullet wound that is GT's sound system. The problems run much deeper than just tinkering with the current setup can fix, such as the inaccurate allocation of sounds. This is particularly notable with the number of new GT6 cars which reuse sounds, such as the Huayra (uses 458 sound files), the SLS GT3 (has V12 Vantage sounds), the FXX (Vantage again) and BRZ GT300 (has the generic boxer exhaust note as used on a number of racing Subarus). This highlights the another aspect of the issue of inaccurate sound allocation - the fact is that PDI's current sound library is nowhere near big enough to make new cars sound right. This again requires recording to be undertaken.

The glimmer of hope for GT7 and this mysterious new sound system are the Red Bulls and Senna update cars, as well as their recruitment drive on the Pit Stop blog. I just find it a tad worrying that despite PDI surely being aware of the poor sounds for some time that it took until very recently to actually tackle the problem head on by expanding the sound department with experienced individuals - I remember reading somewhere that Kaz was unhappy even with GT1's sounds. I suppose they've at least got their act together now, and we'll just have to see where GT7 goes from here.

Having played many the racing games over the last 20 years i find the lack of effort to improve GT-series sounds over the years very troubling.

The sound of the cars is a major factor in setting the stage when it comes to driving along with good physics, much more so than marginal improvements to graphics. I'd much rather play a game with mediocre graphics and great sounds and great physics than any other combination of those three...

Having plI'd much rather play a game with mediocre graphics and great sounds and great physics than any other combination of those three...

Hence the reason games like Grand Prix 4 and Grand Prix Legends are still played and well supported - the former was released in 2002, the latter in 1998. Will anyone be playing GT6 with such dedication more than ten years on from its release?

Hence the reason games like Grand Prix 4 and Grand Prix Legends are still played and well supported - the former was released in 2002, the latter in 1998. Will anyone be playing GT6 with such dedication more than ten years on from its release?

Kinda an unfair comparison since both of those a PC games, which you can still modify. Hell, rFactor is beyond old and people are still making mods for it (even with rFactor 2 out there, though supposedly I hear it hasn't been doing all that well). Console games will naturally never have the playability PC games have because consoles are closed software.

Kinda an unfair comparison since both of those a PC games, which you can still modify. Hell, rFactor is beyond old and people are still making mods for it (even with rFactor 2 out there, though supposedly I hear it hasn't been doing all that well). Console games will naturally never have the playability PC games have because consoles are closed software.

Hmm, that is very true and probably the biggest reason people still play them. I still think the base games are very good simulators though, and are still better than GT6 in a number of key areas.

GT should at least tamper with the current sounds instead of re-recording for now.

I just came back to the game after a long break (traded in after 2 months when it came out) and the engine sounds have definitely gotten better or I'm hallucinating.

Back