Anyone of you racing with gloves?

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 52 comments
Ahhh thank you. After I read your post earlier today I went on youtube and came across this VIDEO. I will have to get myself a piece of foam to try it, but I think it's worth trying out. I believe the brake pedal on the DFGT is one of its weakest components.
I ended up using closed cell foam insulation, the type used to insulate copper pipes. It's a buck for 4 feet so you can't beat the cost and the stuff never wore out or frayed in 18 months of use. Sponge balls tend to deteriorate over time.

I ended up using closed cell foam insulation, the type used to insulate copper pipes. It's a buck for 4 feet so you can't beat the cost and the stuff never wore out or frayed in 18 months of use. Sponge balls tend to deteriorate over time.
Good idea! I am definitely going to try this. I looked all over the house today for some foam and couldn't find any. I'll shoot over to the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks JohnnyP.

I wear gloves most of the time when I game for long periods (no matter the game) it's usually just some medium-thickness winter gloves. Helps prevent blisters and the controller from getting all wet and slimy.

I wear gloves most of the time when I game for long periods (no matter the game) it's usually just some medium-thickness winter gloves. Helps prevent blisters and the controller from getting all wet and slimy.

Blisters, really? Can't say I have ever gotten a blister from playing a video game of any sort. I did build up a callas on my thumb between FM3/GT5/FM4 while using the Turbo S wheel. The way I held the wheel a part of my thumb was rubbing a bit on the stitching of the wheel cover.
I now use an Elite wheel which is smooth and the callas is gone.

I can't imagine what you must be doing to get blisters, I have played racing games a huge amount of time both with controllers and with wheels never even had the hint of a blister nor has it ever happened while driving a real car or truck no matter how many hours behind the wheel.

Blisters, really? Can't say I have ever gotten a blister from playing a video game of any sort. I did build up a callas on my thumb between FM3/GT5/FM4 while using the Turbo S wheel. The way I held the wheel a part of my thumb was rubbing a bit on the stitching of the wheel cover.

I can't imagine what you must be doing to get blisters, I have played racing games a huge amount of time both with controllers and with wheels never even had the hint of a blister nor has it ever happened while driving a real car or truck no matter how many hours behind the wheel.
It's mostly from very long fps gaming sessions (like Battlefield or, as I hate to admit, Call of Duty)

I would think gloves with a controller would be very awkward.

I play mostly racing games, sports and rpg over the last 15 years or so and since GT5 use a wheel for all racing titles, used controller before that and for the most part aside from GT and Forza I have been a PC gamer.

The only issues I have ever had were with the PS controllers, they seem small and make my hands hurt after a while plus the analog sticks being domed up makes it more likely for your thumb to slip off. I prefer the Xbox 360 controller over the DS controllers and preferred my Wingman rumble pad over all controllers I have used. Much more comfortable than the ones for the playstation.

Still never had a blister from any arcade, pc or console game ;) I have had several from using a shovel or an axe or other such tools for long periods ;)

Not making fun, just stating a fact..One of the 32 contestants at GT Academy Nationals this year wore racing gloves as well as racing shoes.

Might have just been a mental tatic though, it threw me off my game a bit "p

You know, I never thought of using gloves, sounds like an idea! Though all I have is my moms gardening gloves :lol: Which aren't that bad cuz I can use my phone between races lol

There's a big thread in the sim racing section on this.

I think the general rule is if its Alcantara or you sweat alot use gloves, if not dont.

Last edited:

I have had blisters on top of blisters before, had both hands raw from competing in the Seasonal TT's and just practicing in general. I guess its just the way I grip the wheel. My wheel has permanent blood stains on it from intense hours of competing but yet I refuse to wear gloves, it just takes the feeling away from the wheel in my opinion, almost like wearing shoes when playing. When I am in full assault mode, it is nothing for me to play for 8-10 hours at a time, resulting in up to 5,000 miles per TT. Insane I know, but that's just the way I roll. ;)

I have had blisters on top of blisters before, had both hands raw from competing in the Seasonal TT's and just practicing in general. I guess its just the way I grip the wheel. My wheel has permanent blood stains on it from intense hours of competing but yet I refuse to wear gloves, it just takes the feeling away from the wheel in my opinion, almost like wearing shoes when playing. When I am in full assault mode, it is nothing for me to play for 8-10 hours at a time, resulting in up to 5,000 miles per TT. Insane I know, but that's just the way I roll. ;)

I have played for very long periods at a time as well, several days in a row too. I do not do as much in the TTs and even practice in GT as I did in Forza simply because of the fact that GT does not record the lap times in any meaningful way. most of the time in TTs I run 1-3 laps and stop when I win the gold award.

Early on I was playing pretty much all day every day now not so much. In Forza I played much longer. Takes a long time just to post a time on all the circuit leaderboards even takes a good bit of time to post a time on all the oval leaderboards not to mention the extra time if you try to post a really good time.

I have had my hands cramp up a little but it is usually my knee that gets me after a few hours.

Still never had a blister even when I played from morning to night all week long.

Must be something in the grip or just friction sliding the wheel in your hands, I've never even gotten a sore spot from it even when driving from 8am till after midnight.

I have played for very long periods at a time as well, several days in a row too. I do not do as much in the TTs and even practice in GT as I did in Forza simply because of the fact that GT does not record the lap times in any meaningful way. most of the time in TTs I run 1-3 laps and stop when I win the gold award.

Early on I was playing pretty much all day every day now not so much. In Forza I played much longer. Takes a long time just to post a time on all the circuit leaderboards even takes a good bit of time to post a time on all the oval leaderboards not to mention the extra time if you try to post a really good time.

I have had my hands cramp up a little but it is usually my knee that gets me after a few hours.

Still never had a blister even when I played from morning to night all week long.

Must be something in the grip or just friction sliding the wheel in your hands, I've never even gotten a sore spot from it even when driving from 8am till after midnight.

Good for you then, glad you got man hands. :P

I wear latex gloves with the thumbs and middle fingers superglued to the analog sticks and triggers respectively. No slipping.

Using gloves has certainly crossed my mind :D I'm using driving force pro and after my hands get sweaty I have to grip the wheel really hard to avoid slipping. I've been playing almost daily for a year now and there's numb spots on my hands, mainly in my fingers, I mean one finger tip is pressing some spot behind the wheel the it has become numb :D I mean WTF :lol: And also there's a lot of places where the skin is getting thicker. Also my hands are covered with black stuff after session, so using cloves probably wouldn't be as stupid idea as it could first seem like.

And I read some discussion about using shoes while playing, haven't you guys seen what type of shoes racing drivers use, looks more like a sock than shoe to me, and the reason is really obvious, better feel!! I mean I use only my big toes for brake and throttle, of course it's takes some practice but I can't see why toes couldn't be as sensitive as fingers, people just don't use them in that manner and that's why pedals feel "loose" at first, but the fact is that my pedals have all the resistance I could ever need, and they're fully stock, just gets some time to get used to. But yeah, I usually wear quite heavy working shoe when I drive in real life (because of my work) and the difference is drastic when occasionally use my casual shoes, I mean feels like someone have changed the pedals altogether and the shoe being softer it actually seems like I have to use more pressure on the pedals :odd: though I guess it just feels like it...

@GTP_CargoRatt you maybe could tell me is it normal that joints in my fingers have been little bit sore for something like a half a year now? Not that they hurt that much, I just "feel" them in rather interesting way, and my hand today seems to prefer staying in fist :lol: I mean is there anything I can do? I'm already eating magnesium since it's suppose to ease muscle pains, but those joints are bit worrying. I mean you must have such extensive experience over this issue that I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
No, but after 35 years of working with my hands I have to keep the settings lower than I would prefer. If not, I am sure my hands would start aching too much to play long before I got blisters...it's 🤬 getting old :(

I quit using my DFGT with 5 because of the crappy brakes. That "sponge" mod you mentioned. Do you just wedge a chunk of sponge in there to increase resistance? My bungee mod was worse than stock.

No gloves. I have seen a funny YouTube video of some guy playing gt5 with a full face helmet on.:lol:
The pedals on the DFGT are exceptionally bad. Even stuffing a sponge behind it doesn't help much after a while. I can't wait for my G27.

The pedals on the DFGT are exceptionally bad. Even stuffing a sponge behind it doesn't help much after a while. I can't wait for my G27.
While I don't have any experience using another steering wheel, I personally think my Logitech DFGT is a decent wheel. The force feedback is good and strong and while I can tell it isn't quite as smooth as a "good" wheel must be, it really delivers nice performance, especially for it's price!

Unfortunately, the pedals with the DFGT are crap. Again, I haven't ever used a different set of pedals, but I can say that the DFGT pedals are junk. I haven't been able to track down a piece of foam to try the "foam trick" yet, and maybe that will make the brake pedal a little bit better. It's unfortunate that the pedals are so bad because I think the wheel is quite decent.

No gloves for me, no helmet, no sun glasses, no shoes, to cumbersome, just a pair of boxers to make sure no skid marks on the seat :P

Keeping the Skid Marks on the Track is the way to go man. lol gave me my belly rumble of the day.

Back