Are all Performance Points created equal? *UPDATE: cars + HP:KG ratio*

• Thread starter bys
  • 37 comments
That's what I thought, but one of the posts just above mine was indicating tires did.
Not mine, you must have misread.

Sticky tires will change the PP level of which aero becomes more effective.
Not to be mistaken with "tires will change the PP level". 👍

Rear aero increases acceleration grip on any rwd car, aero will increase acceleration even from a dead stop, so sticky tires like RS will mean you can't benefit from rear aero the way you can with harder compound tires.

On harder/less grip tires, rear aero can be the difference between feathering throttle and full throttle with no slip. The same applies to front downforce on front wheel drive.

If you want, I can run stock premium cars along trial mountain (best test circuit in my opinion because it has elevation, curves, straights, and most importantly short) all with racing soft tires and share lap times, maybe run a regression between performance points and lap time or performance points and power to weight ratio, etc. Other variables that I think could be used: wheelbase, peak horsepower to peak torque ratio (a measure of power-band efficiency), torque to weight ratio, cost in credits. I am guessing a multivariate model would be best.

Hey I think that's a good idea. But I think there are too many changing variables - driver, car, tires, tunes and track! Although it would be interesting to compare the results . If the regression curve you get is similar to mine, then we can rest assured those curves are a good prediction of performance.

Or if you are interested you could look into HP vs aero... say you have 50 PP 'to spend', do you increase HP or aero? Setting up the experiment is a little tricky though...

What makes 550pp so popular is because it's the border between Aero and HP. Neither really has the advantage over the other and most of the time it depends on driver style. In terms of street cars 4wd cars don't dominate like they might at 600pp. At 550pp there is something for everyone and every style of driving.

My formula for pp races goes something like this

lower than 550pp more hp + more weight

higher than 550pp more aero + less weight

Last edited:
What makes 550pp so popular is because it's the border between Aero and HP. Neither really has the advantage over the other and most of the time it depends on driver style. In terms of street cars 4wd cars don't dominate like they might at 600pp. At 550pp there is something for everyone and every style of driving.

My formula for pp races goes something like this

lower than 550pp more hp + more weight

higher than 550pp more aero + less weight
You always want as close to 900-1100kg for weight as possible, the closer the better. Go below 900kg, and you start getting penalized by the PP system to much, go above 1100kg and you get penalized for to much power.
Not a 100% thing, but probably 90% of the time, this is the range that works best, on any PP I've ever tested.

Aero vs. HP is 100% of the time dependent on traction, PP level, track, and driver preference.

It's funny too that the in-game manual description for PP calls out weight, hp, aero and TIRES. Yet tires didn't make it into the PP calculation.
They may be using an estimate for tire contact patch, ie a race car with fat donuts would get a bigger lift in PP than a little JDM hatchback on skinny rubber. Whether it is RS or CS is not factored in.

I have a very good example:
Buy a Saleen S7 and a Ford GT, they are very similar (no downforce, MR drivetrain, weighs about the same, and got about equal engine power, even the engine curve is similar!)

Now set them to the exaxt same performance point level and you'll se that the Saleen is both more powerful and weighs less, and is in fact a better track car from the start (atleast IRL). make setup changes to make them as good as possible and test them out.

Being both more powerful and lighter you'ld think the Saleen is faster? WRONG! the Ford GT is over a second faster per lap given any short circuit, over 2 seconds on the long ones and a whopping 8 seconds faster on the ring!

Back