ARMA III new gameplay video!

• Thread starter Gabkicks
  • 134 comments
I cant wait to play this game. Its one of the reasons I want a gaming PC. I used to play the original Op-flash and even did a mod for it as part of my Games design uni work.

I hope once I get my rig I'll be able to form a squad with some guys from here and or with my old uni friends who were part of my op-flash squad back in the day.

Altis has been released for the dev build.

Is good, took me about 2 hours to drive from side to side, performance however...

It's out! It's barely any different to what I've been playing for a while, though, but I'm not complaining. Is it bad that I spent about half an hour a couple of days ago spawning OPFOR riflemen at 1km high to see if you can be killed by falling bodies? The answer is yes, by the way.

:lol: Soo.... Is this game worth getting? I am reading very mixed reviews from awesome to broken promises.

I am seriously considering getting this. If you are running solo, how is the interaction without a group of buddies to converse with, etc? I may be the only one from "my crew" that is considering the purchase of this game while I wait for BF4 to hit.

The thing about ArmA is that a huge part of it is the community. I can't wait to see what community modders will come up with, especially as there are so many new possibilities with the improved game engine.

As for running solo, it might be better to find a clan/gaming community to join up with. It's a new game, so it's the perfect time to join a group and learn the game alongside others who are doing the same.

Yeah, there's no singleplayer campaign yet and when there is it'll probably not work very well. The game really shines in multiplayer, and playing with organised groups is just kind of mindblowing, the amount of detail, preparation and teamwork that goes in to a proper mission is quite intense. Fortunately there are people you can play with in case you don't know anyone else who has the game. I occasionally play with the Folk/Rock Paper Shotgun guys but Shack Tactical is another, more US-based group, possibly the most well-renowned group there is, but I think they take it super seriously (down to proper radio communication protocols and chain of command) whereas FARPS is more semi-serious a lot of the time. They do do serious nights though.

Well, I got it last not and went through a couple features and tried to multi-player. I really need to give some time before I decide if I'm going to shelf it or not. I do like the PC feel of this game. It's definitely not a console port and that's nice. ;) The lack of destructible world elements really surprised me, however. No broken glass? No knocking over barrels? Destructible elements are kind of a standard now, surprised me. The size and scope of this game is the largest I've played I think.

Been browsing by the workshop content, thus far I have found:

-A MGS1 remake, with most of the dialogues, sounds and level design.
-Operation Flashpoint Mission remakes.
-Wolfestein 3D, at least two versions of it.
-Payday 2 mission.
-At least 6-7 coop scuba diving missions (actually good ones).
-Tons of showcases.
-About 2-3 rally stages, in both Altis and straits.

I'm honestly ... blown by all this, I'm myself working on a mission and there are already hundreds of them, and actually most of them are decent ones. This kind of content makes you play this over and over and over again, is not like old ArmA II, is new ... you can do pretty much all you want and the workshop actually do work here.

As far as the actual BI content goes I'm pretty happy with, is more than I expected and is incredible, some new showcases are pretty mind-blowing (the one with the APC is my favourite one), and while I have played to no end Domination, I do miss some of the weekend ops, had one not long ago with the 7th Calvary and is pretty astonishing.

I'll be busy with GTA V, but this game is just amazing, is worth having a computer capable enough to play it. My only complain would be online performance, sure I can play most of the game in +30, but some servers do struggle and BI really need to work on that.

I'll be busy with GTA V, but this game is just amazing, is worth having a computer capable enough to play it. My only complain would be online performance, sure I can play most of the game in +30, but some servers do struggle and BI really need to work on that.

That's not actually the game's fault, at least not really. You could easily have a game with 50+ players and a decent number of AI doing their automatic routines and have a decent frame rate, but as soon as you start scripting you have to make sure the code is optimised nicely. That's why a large Domination game will run smoother than a large Invade & Annex game; the objectives, number if players and number of AI are basically the same, but Domination is coded better. It's also why I stay away from Wasteland; even with hardly any AI and nowhere near even 40 players it just runs like crap. Of course BI can probably mitigate this to an extent but they can't eradicate it completely, because it would still be possible for people to write even more poorly optimised code.

By the way, have you seen the 'steal the chopper' mission? That's a fun one, 600 metres has never felt like a long way in terms of Arma but it is when it's just you and an assault rifle against armed patrols, stationary machine guns and a gunship. I've made it right to the end twice but I've always been killed by the guy guarding the chopper I'm supposed to steal...

And Pako: yeah, it's a rough diamond for sure, but if you give it a chance and like the hardcore tactical gameplay I'm sure you'll find a reason to stick with it. It's odd that there are over 30 different ways to stand (not including weapon raised/lowered), yet there are no enter/exit vehicle animations at all. No destruction to speak of either but there is an extremely detailed ballistic penetration system. Swings and roundabouts, really; it's unforgivably barebones in a lot of basic areas, but it has detail in spades where it really counts. For me that's enough to overlook things like the fact that I keep getting stuck in rocks.

And Pako: yeah, it's a rough diamond for sure, but if you give it a chance and like the hardcore tactical gameplay I'm sure you'll find a reason to stick with it. It's odd that there are over 30 different ways to stand (not including weapon raised/lowered), yet there are no enter/exit vehicle animations at all. No destruction to speak of either but there is an extremely detailed ballistic penetration system. Swings and roundabouts, really; it's unforgivably barebones in a lot of basic areas, but it has detail in spades where it really counts. For me that's enough to overlook things like the fact that I keep getting stuck in rocks.

That pretty much sums it up. Just working through some of the showcases to get familiar with the system. The learning curve is pretty steep if you aren't familiar with the series. I blew up my first helicopter. What was so rewarding about it was I had to wait until it got dark so I could put my night goggles on to infiltrate a base so I could get the rock launcher that would eventually take down that helicopter. I must say, it was a very satisfying kill. 👍

I'm hoping for some better driver support in the near future. Both cards barely hit 45% usage.

Here's a couple screen shots I took tonight:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197962283756/screenshots/?appid=107410

That's not actually the game's fault, at least not really. You could easily have a game with 50+ players and a decent number of AI doing their automatic routines and have a decent frame rate, but as soon as you start scripting you have to make sure the code is optimised nicely. That's why a large Domination game will run smoother than a large Invade & Annex game; the objectives, number if players and number of AI are basically the same, but Domination is coded better. It's also why I stay away from Wasteland; even with hardly any AI and nowhere near even 40 players it just runs like crap. Of course BI can probably mitigate this to an extent but they can't eradicate it completely, because it would still be possible for people to write even more poorly optimised code.
Well that's true, is just that the best performance servers often do not have the best plays due to stupid people playing, either hackers or trolls, or people just playing solo spoils the experience.

That said, server do and should less code, Annex is great but they pack it with so much stuff that makes it unplayable no matter how low you get game and that's a server side thing, so they should put more efort into coding the thing before settings up the servers.

By the way, have you seen the 'steal the chopper' mission? That's a fun one, 600 metres has never felt like a long way in terms of Arma but it is when it's just you and an assault rifle against armed patrols, stationary machine guns and a gunship. I've made it right to the end twice but I've always been killed by the guy guarding the chopper I'm supposed to steal...

I did and I couldn't do it, I'm halfway there and I always get overrun by the AI, is a good one but I gave up after my fifth try. There is one similar to that called "Operation Ghosthawk down", is a fun one because you have to make it out alive of several situations and deal with "steal the chopper" segment latter, I could organize my strategy better on that and I actually completed it, there approach and how you plan your strike play a mayor role and I do find it pretty engaging(walking on that mission is a bitch though).

Helicopters are no simple task to fly are they? Wow. I even broke out my joystick. It helps, and love the simple support for it but it still makes flying them really difficult. Will have to spend some more time with it tomorrow.

I played some BF3 this even after a long ARMA session and wow, what a difference. BF3 never felt so much like an arcade, like Call of Duty. It was unreal and found myself missing ARMA during some of the campaigns.....and that's even with no destruction in ARMA. :D

Pako you may want to watch Dslyecxi's basic Helo vid.

This game is the main reason I want to get back to PC gaming. As I've said before I played Op-Flash and had a squad for that game.

I prefer to play games like this with real tactical merits. I've never been a fan of gun, run, jump & gun gameplay. I prefer to plan a strategy have a competent squad who call there targets etc.

I remember helos being difficult in Op-Flash so it's no surprise they are tricky in this game too. Some people are using peddles and TrackIR to help with their flying.

I find choppers are easier to fly with a mouse than a stick, but way more fun with the stick than the mouse. Also it helps having that many more buttons at your fingertips, having to press enter for target lock, for instance, or having to use the dire mouse wheel menu for things like auto-hover, gear and flaps (for jets, of course) while flying can get a bit much. Also I never remember if it's Q, X or G for countermeasures because of DCS World, BF3 and Arma 3 so I just have it mapped to a button on the throttle of my X52.

In Mr. 'however you spell his nickname' Gluck's chopper video he mentions that he himself uses a keyboard and mouse, and while I did almost exclusively in Arma 2, I've taken the time to sort out a mapping for my X52 (which still needs work) and prefer it for the immersion. I do need a TrackIR though... It's on the shopping list, right under the 3x U2312HMs, Haswell i7 and Haswell motherboard! I'm also thinking I might get a Leo Bodnar standalone G27 pedal cable so I can have the rudder pedals mapped to those instead of stick twist.

@neema_t I've heard rudder pedals really help allot, you can eve map them to do a sideways lean when on foot.

@neema_t I've heard rudder pedals really help allot, you can eve map them to do a sideways lean when on foot.

I don't mind using Q and E to lean, though mapping them to the half-step stances would be pretty great, very useful for those quick pop-out shots in urban combat. As for use as a rudder, that's another reason I didn't much like the keyboard for flying, I'd always press the wrong rudder key and turn the wrong way... Kind of annoying. I wouldn't've thought of that though, thanks for the tip. Middle pedal could be mapped to zoom view, maybe, if I remember rightly the right mouse button only zooms for as long as its held but it also holds your breath to steady a shot. Separating the two should give you a closer look at your target but also stop you from running out of breath before you fire.

Have any of you flown the OPFOR gunship? That thing is ugly but tough as hell. I'm guessing it's modelled on the Hind, given its brick-like dynamics, but it can take a pretty hefty beating. I can't decide whether I love it or hate it, it seems like if you even think about feathering the collective it'll start plummeting out of the sky and it's a real pig to fly low and fast, but in a perverse way I kind of like that! Similar to why I like GP Legends; you're probably going to crash either way so you might as well put on a good show, right?

Thanks for the video link. I actually came across that one last night (I was searching for help). :lol: In all honesty, lack of visual information is killing me, literally. I can fly the chopper, but with only having the gauges as input for much of the time, it's hard to see what corrective action is needed. I might as well close my eyes when landing. Getting used to the gauges and what they are telling me will help greatly. I see mention of the TrackIR, and if this releases my visual point of view, letting me look around, it may be worth it's weight in gold. I was up way too late last night practicing. I managed to land a few times but again, lack of visual input was murder. I was fine flying around and had lots of fun banking, stopping, hovering, etc, but still have issues with getting the gun to line up with a target while maintaining flight integrity. :) Again, hopped back into BF3 into one of their choppers and WOW, it was almost comical how easy and arcade like it was. :lol:

If you think flying in Arma is hard, try the Huey in DCS World! Better yet, in Black Shark 2 if you pitch or roll too hard the coaxial rotors hit one another and then you start to fall pretty fast, which can be tricky. But yeah, TrackIR basically means you can look using head movements so you don't have to hold alt (or tap it twice) to use mouse look, which can be quite useful, just not when you're actually trying to fly. You could also use auto hover mode and then just adjust the collective to land. I'm not sure about the other choppers but the OPFOR gunship does have a vertical speed indicator in the bottom right of the HUD, that helps a lot while landing. You'll get used to it though, it took me quite a few hours in Arma 2 to get the hang of it.

Most of the guys I follow on Twitch and YouTube swear by TrackIR and its on my rig list.

I will definitely have to check it out. I've seen them for years, most noted in racing sims, but this application would be awesome! :D

I have thought about picking up Arma III. Everything looks really good, but I am not sure I want to add another game to those that I likely will not have time to play.

Had a great session doing a coop Sniper 1.04v mission last night. The more I play this game, the more I am amazed at the scope and detail that is in it. I am hoping for better driver support soon. With my system I am averaging 40 FPS but in looking at my resources being used, my GPU's are only hitting 26% use, CPU is at 35%, and Ram is at 3.1gb out of 8. Basically, this game is greatly under utilizing the hardware that's available to it.

I have thought about picking up Arma III. Everything looks really good, but I am not sure I want to add another game to those that I likely will not have time to play.

The best thing about it is there are no unlockables, so you don't have to invest any time in that sense... Learning how to play is a different story I guess, though. Good 40+ slot servers populated with competent players blow BF3 out of the water, but bad ones are boring 'spawn, get in chopper, leave chopper, die, respawn, repeat' slogs where nothing gets done, so it varies a lot in that respect.

I probably need to build a new PC first. I have been wanting to start accumulating parts, but not really sure where to begin.

"Episode I" of campaign is out:

I'll check it out later, they just bad timed with BF4 and I have my hands busy with it at the moment.

Latest Posts

Back