Aston Martin to Make New Model

• Thread starter Crushed
  • 81 comments
The new spoiler is interesting, though I wonder if the taillights would look better if they extended further round the back to each other like the One-77's.

The aggressive front bumper looks better with a darker colour too compared with the AM310.

I believe the interior has some of the One-77's 'rounded' feel too.

Overall, I like it a lot!

(Famine got the name right a month ago!) :sly:

They changed the taillights and put a body kit on a Virage...

It's a slight improvement on what I'm accustomed to, I'll give them that.

Motor Authority says that they've got details:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1077068_aston-martin-am-310-vanquish-details-leaked

AM 310 Vanquish

For the lazy:
£190,000 ($300,000)
Engine: 6.0-liter V-12
HP: 565
Torque:457lb-ft
Transmission: ‘Touchtronic 2’ 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters.
0-60mph: 4.1 seconds
Top Speed: 183

Seems awfully expensive. When did it become necessary to have 565hp to get to 60 in 4 seconds?

A standard Corvette gets there with 440hp and a stick shift.
A Ferrari 458 will use the same power to get to 60 .6 seconds quicker.

Last edited:
Motor Authority says that they've got details:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1077068_aston-martin-am-310-vanquish-details-leaked

AM 310 Vanquish

For the lazy:
£190,000 ($300,000)
Engine: 6.0-liter V-12
HP: 565
Torque:457lb-ft
Transmission: ‘Touchtronic 2’ 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters.
0-60mph: 4.1 seconds
Top Speed: 183

Seems awfully expensive. When did it become necessary to have 565hp to get to 60 in 4 seconds?

I don't think they will sell it at that price in the US. If they did then the price is definitely not right.

It's probably quite heavy and luxurious, unlike the Corvette and 458. It's a true GT car, rather than a supercar.

Corvettes and 458s are sports cars. While they are fast, they aren't necessarily meant to be comfortable. Aston Martins on the other hand are meant to be comfortable, GT cars. You can't compare them.

Not trying to make an apples to apples comparison between the Corvette, 458 and Vanquish. They're just examples. My point is that 0-60 in 4.1s seems slow for any sporty coupe with 550+ hp. The Camaro ZL1 has similar power and gets to 60 in 4 seconds, but the ZL1 is more relaxed, made of cheaper/heavier materials, uses a stick shift, and weighs over two tons.

Not trying to make an apples to apples comparison between the Corvette, 458 and Vanquish. They're just examples. My point is that 0-60 in 4.1s seems slow for any sporty coupe with 550+ hp. The Camaro ZL1 has similar power and gets to 60 in 4 seconds, but the ZL1 is more relaxed, made of cheaper/heavier materials, uses a stick shift, and weighs over two tons.
:odd:

The Camaro has 580 bhp, so it is a bit more. Also, it is more of a sports car than the Aston, and is probably lighter, lets face it. It also may have stickier tyres. So losing one tenth to 60 is pretty decent.

:confused:

Let me boil it down. To me, 0-60 in 4.1s seems slow for such an expensive and powerful car. You can ignore the Corvette and Ferrari. They weren't the best examples.

The Camaro has 580 bhp, so it is a bit more. Also, it is more of a sports car than the Aston, and is probably lighter, lets face it. It also may have stickier tyres. So losing one tenth to 60 is pretty decent.

Fair points. I'd expect that the carbon fiber body panels on the Aston would give it the edge in weight, but it could also be offset by a computer entertainment system or something. The extra 15hp of the Camaro seems like small beans when the Aston has a paddle shift auto and the Camaro is running the slower traditional stick shift.

I guess that these preliminary estimates are too early to make a big judgment on the car's performance. So I think I'm going to withhold judgment.

Long, lazy gears in the Aston, I'm assuming.
BMW cars, at least the mid range stuff I've driven, have great gearing and for the power and weight, accelerate quicker than you'd expect.

Also, it is more of a sports car than the Aston, and is probably lighter, lets face it.
I don't think that's likely at all.

Even ignoring the joke part of that (lolololol the Camaro is so heavy), the ZL1 is heavier than the old Vanquish was, so I'm not sure how Aston could match that when this new Vanquish is supposedly entirely made of carbon fiber (and thus should weigh around what the DBS does, which currently undercuts the Camaro by almost 400 pounds; or at most what the DB9 weighs, which is still lighter albeit not as much).

The answer is most likely gearing-related, as eSZee said. Or, hell.; maybe they are just sand-bagging times to keep from overstating performance.

Last edited:
:confused:

Let me boil it down. To me, 0-60 in 4.1s seems slow for such an expensive and powerful car. You can ignore the Corvette and Ferrari. They weren't the best examples.
I understand what you're trying to say, but to say that a 4.1s 0-60 is slow means that you're still comparing it to other cars. Besides, 4.1s is faster than the old DBS. :)

4.1s to 60 is plenty fast when you're in a comfortable, luxurious, quiet cabin. It's a different market, the level of refinement between an Aston and a Camaro is completely different.

So I saw the official pics in brown and... :drool:

Interesting that they are actually reusing the Vanquish name. (Thought they will ditch the DB9 when the Virage arrived too so I dunno.)

183 mph does seem a bit low. Can't the ancient 450 hp DB9 do 186?

Maybe it's a bizarrely non-noticed typo and they meant 193, compared with the DBS's 191 mph. Also wonder if it's due to the sole 'Touchtronic' transmission as the final drive was supposedly numerically higher for the DBS's application to maintain acceleration timings. (Was the DBS's top speed redline/gearing limited too? For both auto and manual versions?)

I like the looks and everything, but 565 BHP for a 4 second 0-60 time, seems a bit excessive. I'm sure they could bring both down while lowering the price, not sure how that would affect comfort though.

aston-martin-vanquish_100393657_l.jpg

aston-martin-vanquish_100393658_l.jpg

It looks nice and all, but...

...isn't it about time Aston came up with some new ideas? Unless I'm majorly missing something it looks like a DBS with a slightly chavvy bodykit and a set of rear lights that look oddly like afterthoughts. Those rear 3/4 proportions look a bit odd too - could just be a trick of the camera but there's something not right about it.

When the original Vanquish came out, it wowed everyone. A DB9, V8 and V12 Vantages, DBS, Rapide and Virage down the line and it's starting to get a little dull. Even Porsche has more variation in their lineup.

...isn't it about time Aston came up with some new ideas? Unless I'm majorly missing something it looks like a DBS with a slightly chavvy bodykit and a set of rear lights that look oddly like afterthoughts.

👍
It looks like it got a few styling cues from the One-77.

Last edited:
I agree that Aston's are all becoming too samey in looks, jeez this thing just looks like a Virage front and a One-77 rear and the entire range looks way too similar anyway.

I get that there is a DNA and brand identity but there needs to be more clear distinction on what exactly you are paying for in terms of styling because you could just pick up a DB9 and be done with it!

aston-martin-vanquish_100393658_l.jpg

Those rear 3/4 proportions look a bit odd too - could just be a trick of the camera but there's something not right about it.

I get this impression as well. I think the gap between the spoiler bases and the top or the taillights is just a little to big. It looks a bit unnatural.

Edit: It's similar to opening a picture of someone in Photoshop and moving every facial feature below their eyebrows downwards a bit.

Or maybe I'm just strange...

Last edited:
Back