Automation-Car Company Tycoon

• Thread starter alex10798
  • 391 comments
alex10798
I discovered this recently, and I think it's really cool AWESOME.

Basically, You run a car company (duh) and make engines, gearboxes, platforms, car bodies, etc., then put it on the market and hope it sells.

It's still in development, and some beta testing is going on.

Here's a recent video, showing the devs making a CRX 1980's hatch.

And here's the mandatory website:

http://automationgame.com/

Sounds awesome, sounds like they will make it easy to mod as well.

Here is some more info from their site.
Automation is a Car Company Tycoon game.

Within Automation you will take the reigns of a car company and manage it by yourself, with or against up to 15 friends. Starting post WWII, the world is rebuilding and they want cars. It will be your job to run a successful car company, striving towards a variety of different goals. To win you will have to design cars to meet various market demands and needs. Produce a large, powerful sedan for the americas, small hatchbacks for the europeans or hypercars for the super rich. This is just a small selection of what you will be able to produce. Challenge yourself to successfully manage your company through various oil crises, changing consumer demands and ever stricter regulations. Run your company how you want to, start a budget car manufacturer, a quality luxury marque, Europe's best supercar manufacturer or anything in between.

Automation aims to be as technically accurate as possible, the engines you will be able to design have simulated torque and power curves, emissions, fuel economy values and more. You will be able to see the components you choose come together and watch your engine start up and run for the first time. You will be able to design a anything from a small efficient supercharged 3 cylinder to a huge, rumbling thirsty V12.

You will be able to design cars by choosing different chassis types, sizes, suspension configurations and engine positions with the ability to tweak the setup to your requirements. Car bodies can be sculpted into all manner of designs, then finished with a selection of headlights, mirrors and other trim pieces.

Whilst it will be quite a complicated and technically focused game, clear explanations and prebuilt designs will assist new players to both learn about cars and the game.

We are a new startup company, and as such until we can acquire funding we still need to work around our day jobs, however we still manage close to full time hours in our free time and aim to release before the end of 2011

Feel free to contact us with any feedback, and suggestions on what you would like to see out of the finished product.

So I assume this is similar to rollercoaster tycoon? That's pretty cool, as long as we get to see our cars perform like how you can ride the coasters in RCT3

Roush_fan_99
So I assume this is similar to rollercoaster tycoon? That's pretty cool, as long as we get to see our cars perform like how you can ride the coasters in RCT3

Yea I was thinking the same, I hope we can test drive them ourselves though to perfect the cars handling.
The game, as it says on their site, says hard to learn but easy to use. Sounds and looks pretty fun.

Looks brilliant.
Now how many of you will resist the urge to create the fastest thing you can.

haitch40
I will just try to make a street legal adaptation of the X2010. :D

You would have to either ditch the fans or create some sort of thing to keep the rocks from shooting out of it...... Unless that was thought of already. I could so see a rock shooting out the back at another car at considerable speed

So I will have to generate ground effect the old fashioned way with skirts.
Edit I have also registered for the beta.

Last edited:
haitch40
So I will have to generate ground effect the old fashioned way with skirts.
Edit I have also registered for the beta.

As far as I know, ground effect is for planes, downforce is for cars and work exactly opposite of each other.... but yes

Ground effect is what Adrian Newey did his thesis on at uni. Basics of it is you want to remove as much air from under the car as possible.

Anyway the thing you have to take your hat off to these guys for is its a 2 man team and all of them create the game in their spare time as they all have full time jobs as well.

Last edited:
Ground effect is what Adrian Newey did his thesis on at uni. Basics of it is you want to remove as much air from under the car as possible.

Anyway the thing you have to take your hat off to these guys for is its a 3 man team and all of them create the game in their spare time as they all have full time jobs as well.

Hmm...
*at work*
Boss: What are you doing?
Dev 1: Just checking on my companies earnings...err...I mean our companies earnings.

I'll have to check it out. Might teach me a few things since I'm a noob at engines compared to the old guys :P.

This game looks like it could be quite good. I like the way you start post-war, and go all the way to the present day.

Hmm...
*at work*
Boss: What are you doing?
Dev 1: Just checking on my companies earnings...err...I mean our companies earnings.

I'll have to check it out. Might teach me a few things since I'm a noob at engines compared to the old guys :P.

Well the programmer is a programming teacher so its more like.
Class do this for me and I will give you straight A's
One of them is in technical support so hopefully they will understand any complaints we have if any but I have a good feeling about this team so I dont think there will be.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm one of the developers of this project

We've started preorders to support development

Go to Project: Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game | RocketHub if you wish to preorder.

Not only to you get the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting us to get Automation done better and faster, you also save $10 off the final price and get access to extra content when the demo comes out
(When we release the demo it will be limited to Inline 4 hatchbacks, but those of you who've preordered will get access to everything as we finish it)

Please spread the word about this to anyone you know who might like it, if this does well Automation could be done a lot quicker and to a higher standard :)

Back