AWD drifting

United States
United States
talon97turbo
So just was told I was S T U P I D for drifting the R33 and was a big deal for some reason.. Its the only AWD car that I drift and its set to 10:90 with 500hp and it is pretty amazing.. Honestly I don't feel the difference between the R32 GTs-T and the R33 GTR drifting. But the R33 is my dream car. I'm against AWD drifting in real life but this is a game.. And it has no GTS-T R33. Anyone els have problems on lobby's like this?

Swagger897
I used to drift with an R8 in GT5.. Apparently it was cheating, so I kept doing it and others in the lobby consistently tried to beat an AWD car but failed..
Well in real life you cant put a AWD or even MR car up against a D1 car. MR are way to heavy in the rear end and not balanced to drift and AWD you can only keep a skid if its a sharp skid. But if it works on a game then who cares.. Lol

Not to say that you're wrong for doing what you enjoy so long as it doesn't negatively impact those around you--you should absolutely do that--but I thought it pertinent to state that setting the center diff to 10% front (it's the lowest it can go, I know) does not a RWD car make. There are tuning cures when it comes to engine mass position (as in MR and RR cars) but an engaged front diff actually pulls the car out of a slide in a J shape when viewed from above in contrast to the C curve of a RWD slide. If you're drifting all by your lonesome, this is no big deal. But people get set in their ways and try to move on (which means tandem drifting in this instance), and problems can arise from this seemingly little difference.
Suppose you're following a RWD car--it's on you to match speed as well as angle and, in all likelyhood you're unable to do so--either you end up slowing down and losing all slip or you're so engrossed in the task at hand that you don't realize you're actually pushing the car in front of you.
Okay so that didn't work so well. Let's try leading that same RWD car--it's on them to match your speed and angle, but the exponentially greater linear grip at your disposal means you either just plain walk away or, in an attempt to keep things interesting, you slow your exit so that they can keep up but you catch grip and pull out of the slide.
So please, do what you find fun, but try to understand the other side and be alert to these potential issues. Oh and those saying you're cheating simply because of vehicle choice are tactless and are best ignored.

@SuzukaStar that may well be the case, but do you think you're in the majority in being able to do so or perhaps among a select few who didn't just see Tokyo Drift or a Ken Block video and want to emulate things done therein?

I can't (and don't like) drifting, but I can easily hold slides on various AWD cars, like the R33 specifically. And that with only 330HP. With the right setting you can't really tell if the front wheels are working or not.

I may need to grab an R33 then. Not because I feel the need to try drifting AWD so much as to see where others are coming from. That and the only normal GT-R I have (GTAcademy GT3 prize car and final GWFOS prize car are difficult to call normal) is the '07 tuned to factory specs as provided by @Ridox2JZGTE. ;)

You make a good point @TexRex about the tandem. But i havent really had a problem with tandem.. I can mach an angle and not ram an car infront of me. Its all about the balance of throttle. But I went out in the 89 GTS-t and it feels the same.. Just not as much power lol but the R33 seams to be better to control even in a dead slide. With no throttle. But with the throttle it is about the same as the GTS-t

I drift Bugatti Veyrons and no one seems to give me 🤬 for it. :confused:

Well, there was that one time... but except for that one occasion, I can't recall any other time where people were freaking out.

I had a guy in a 350z keep hitting me. He even stopped at a turn and pulled out in front of me when I was drifting. And I asked why and that's when it all started. Lol most people were defending me though. Only two were strongly complaining lol.

Let's not forget there's a decent split of 4wd's and rwd's at Gatebil. The Audi's anyone?

gatebil_fre_04.jpg

DSC07234.jpg

I like 4WD but most of the people that I seen drift them be trying to do 90 degree or reverse drifting. If people wasn't doing that then I'll allow it lol.

Its drifting, its just not the "sport drifting". Its hard to keep a low angle drift in a long bend in a AWD car, in real life anyways.. But RWD is dinner in real life also lol

So just was told I was S T U P I D for drifting the R33 and was a big deal for some reason.. Its the only AWD car that I drift and its set to 10:90 with 500hp and it is pretty amazing.. Honestly I don't feel the difference between the R32 GTs-T and the R33 GTR drifting. But the R33 is my dream car. I'm against AWD drifting in real life but this is a game.. And it has no GTS-T R33. Anyone els have problems on lobby's like this?
Who cares? Join another lobby...

I've got a RWD converted R32/R33 for extra maaad skidz. (Friend made them with his CFW)

The AWD was holding me back from linking those corners properly.

Some would argue, that being sideways and making smoke is not the same as drifting.

Kind of like walking on your tip toes on a frozen lake is not figure skating...

Do what you want, as long as you're not making a mess of other peoples fun.

If the room allows 4WD they have no right to complain, it's up to the owner to restrict it.

On that note, don't moan if somebody doesn't want to "unlock" 4WD for you, it's their room.

Back