Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

The ones with AWD + 4G63 engine should be more reliable since they're basically the same as an Evo III. Unfortunately, GT6 gave us what I believe is supposed to be the GS-T, which is FF + 4G63. It has some bad understeer, but tuned up I bet it's a decent 450 PP contender.

It's 0.009 seconds quicker than the Mazda RX-8 Type E '03 and a tenth quicker than Acura Integra Type R '01.

Just gave the 95 Eclipse a shakedown run and ran a 2:31.739 on the second lap.

No surprise about the understeer as the weight distribution is 63:37 stock. :crazy:

Just gave the 95 Eclipse a shakedown run and ran a 2:31.739 on the second lap.

No surprise about the understeer as the weight distribution is 63:37 stock. :crazy:

2:31.7 is a crazy fast time. Was that with a wheel or DS3? SH tires + no oil change? Maybe I should give it another go.

It really is an awful car to throw into a corner.

2:31.7 is a crazy fast time. Was that with a wheel or DS3? SH tires + no oil change? Maybe I should give it another go.

It really is an awful car to throw into a corner.

No oil change, SH tyres and was using a DS3 with near default settings. ;)

Honestly it's one the worst cars we've tested for COTW because you look at the coupe styling and think, this should handle good especially with more power than most FF type R Hondas, and it just doesn't.

For some context, @JackRyanWMU brought out a past COTW car, the Acura CL Type S '03 and despite being almost 200kg heavier and more powerful he said and I quote, "after driving the Eclispe the CL felt like a McLaren in comparison" and I'm inclined to agree.

He could get the car turned into the corner alot better than the Eclispe and that says something for an executive sedan, especially for having the same tyres as the Eclispe.

Stock for stock, the Eclispe is just too nose heavy and soft to drive quickly without getting annoyed with the understeer.

It's a shame really that we got the FF version and not the 4wd version as I can imagine it been a lot more fun to drive.

My verdict? Bonafide Beater. 👎

Well trying to find something nice to say has left me with this... I like the Pasadena red.

After that, there is nothing. I never thought anything would be worse than the CL, but as the COTW gets you to drive what you normally wouldn't, you get an understanding of that car.

@Lewis_Hamilton_ smoked me in every corner in an Abarth 500 to the point where it reminded of the Vette story by Buddy WasIsName...

I said before that I thought I drove this in NFS... I now apologise to that series as this car wouldn't be there, not even as a car parked on the street that you could run into. Pass the crown, this is (so far) the KING of the BEATERS!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
I've always been under the impression that this was a chick car. I wanted to like it back in the day, even had guy friends that had them all tricked out but, at the end of the day it was still a chick car. Then again, what wasn't a chick car in the 90's? RX7 comes to mind.

I've always been under the impression that this was a chick car. I wanted to like it back in the day, even had guy friends that had them all tricked out but, at the end of the day it was still a chick car. Then again, what wasn't a chick car in the 90's? RX7 comes to mind.

Anything not made in the US.

Last edited:
Spent 6 hours last night trying to install and update GT6, and failed each time. Can I just restore a system backup from my thumbdrive, or am I doomed to waste more time until it maybe installs properly? Very frustrating.

After a brief and broken hiatus, I'm up and running again, and ready to host on Tuesday. What'd I miss?

Yes, at least GT doesn't include an accurate simulation of the "breaking down on the side of the road while on the way to your date at juvenile court" aspect of this car. :P

Sounds about right. Congratulations to JackRyanWMU! What say you, sir?

This time, I'm not picking something big, brutish, and American.

I'm picking something big, brutish, and German.

Our next car of the week....

The 2008 Audi RS6 Avant!

389748.jpg

Ah, the Estate that steals your lunch money, well done! To be safe, I asked if any other car manufacturers would like to pit their estates against Audi... Volvo never called back, Mercedes was too busy separating @Lewis_Hamilton_ from Nico Rosberg, and Cadillac immediately recalled their CTS-V estate. Pansies!

The Audi is capable of sub-2:20 laps at Suzuka. Here are the cars that tied with its time of 2:19.6

Honda NSX Type R '92
RUF 3400S '00
Lotus Esprit V8 SE '98
Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG (R230) '04

It's over 5 seconds quicker than the Audi RS 6 '02 sedan!

5.0L
571 hp / 6,500 rpm
480 ft-lb / 1,500 rpm
2,025 kg
518 pp
Top speed achieved @ Suzuka: 150 mph!

It's too bad the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon isn't in GT. The regular CTS-V is 8 tenths slower than this Avant.

Last edited:
I pored and considered over a few different cars for this week's pick, but when I came across a 600 HP station wagon priced higher than the likes of the Ford GT or even the V8 model of Audi's own R8, I knew we had to try it out and see if it was a perfect combination of sportiness and practicality or simply "ambitious but rubbish."

Hmmm, how much German beer can this hold??? We might not get that answer but we will see how fast it can deliver to people thirsty for practical excitement. I remember this crazy version I built in built in GT5, let's see how Avantagious it is in GT6! Nice and interesting pick!

Cheers
Oh ho, I saw what you did there. ;)

I hAvant driven my RS6 for a while and might just get back in it and let those 1000+ ponies run free at SSRX. :P

The 08' RS6 Avant (also known as the Trollwagen to me.) is what happens when you look at a V10 S6 and think, it's good, but could do with more boost.

So on go two turbos and say hello to a 572hp Estate (or Saloon) which could take the fight to its rivals of the time.

The only thing worrying things about this car is it weighs 2 tons, has Quattro 4wd and it's coming from a manufacturer with a history of putting the engine well over the front axle.

And we're gonna be going flat out around a track with them. :scared:

Can't be bad as the Eclipse though. :P:lol:

I may have to jump back in mine and drive it some. I remember it as a bit of an understeering pig in GT5. An obligatory Top Gear drag race with the M5 will have to happen as well. My verdict will come later.

Despite my earlier concerns about the understeer the car handled very well come raceday.

Would I say it's worth 160k? It depends on what you do with the RS6, if you leave it stock then not really as it's more expensive than most high performance sports and supercars and obviously slower.

If on the other hand you want the fastest estate in the game with potential for over 1000hp built up, then look no further.

Judging on its stock performance however I have to call it a beater but only just.

The price as they would say is not right.

I too was surprised at the stock handling but for the hefty investment one would expect a good deal of performance. 2 tonnes of fun? Ya it is surprisingly agile for a vehicle of this size and weight especially if you've never driven one. Twin turbo V10 got my attention in GT5, but the novelty wears off. Here in GT6 was my first racing experience with it stock and although I wouldn't call it a beater, it's no sleeper unless the back seats are down and you're out camping...

Cheers

I was surprised as well with it, but more so how much it understeered. It drives like all 2 tonnes of it is over the front axle. Stock, its quite unruly under braking. I couldnt trail brake it for anything. A supercar killer, it is not. Once you take out the 500kgs of camping gear, the thing seems to come alive. A Sports ECU, 500kg diet, and center diff took the tank from 8'05s to 7'29s at the Nordschliefe. It also looks really good when slammed with Volk CE28s on it. Power just cant overcome the weight in the corners. By the way, it will top out at 220mph STOCK! In stock form, its a beater. It just doesnt live up to the "supercar-killer" hype. The M5 is miles better, unfortunately.

A short three way review!

I took the RS6 with CS tires, to the latest seasonal intermediate event at Trial Mountain. This is not a track day car. I guess it is more of an autobahn cruiser. It understeers a lot.

Because of it´s 2025 kg weight you have to brake considerable earlier than the 1855 kg "lightweight" M5.
My best times was low 1:44`s with the RS6, and had to concentrate to make those times. With the M5, I did about 2 seconds better lap times with much more ease.

To get the third contender in, I bought an E55 AMG and lapped it around also. This weighs 1910 kg and it has 468 hp. So it is quiet down on power than the two others. It felt as heavy as the RS6, and was 3 seconds slower pr lap than the RS6 and 5 seconds slower than the M5. But it´s more fun to drive around a track than the RS6 due to the FR lay out.

To conclude:
The M5 is the best car of the three and is much more fun to drive. The RS6 is fast in a straight line, understeer as a pig, but looks better than the other two. (always had a soft spot for Audi Avants). The E55 AMG is heavy and slow, but has a fun factor of drifting it around the track.

None of these car can be called a beater, it sort of feels wrong. And none of them can be called a sleeper either. So I won't label any of them. Sorry

Sorry about the late notice, but last week's winner couldn't be bothered to check their Private Messages.

I know I'm two weeks late with this, but I have a suggestion for the next CotW. I'm proposing the Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 '04. We haven't done an Alfa yet and also I think it is one of the prettiest cars in the game, even as a standard model. It's like what Jeremy Clarkson says, "You can't be a true petrolhead unless you have owned an Alfa."

Just a thought,
James (lilcat89)

Beats what I had in mind.

Congratulations acascianelli!

You missed the deadline, so we're going with the '04 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24V!

display.php

OMG! I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I think we've found a FF that I actually like! It's absolutely heaven to drive, perfect in every way! Even the wheels don't need to be touched!

Just remember, if you don't get it in red, the baby Jesus hates you, and the Pope has your excommunication ready.

Heathens.

Sick time, brah!

Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24V '04
3.2L
227 hp / 6,200 rpm
219 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
1,347 kg (2,970 lbs)
423 pp
71 hp/L
13.1 lbs/hp

Truthfully, I'd rather drive the

Audi A3 3.2 Quattro '03

3.2L
245 hp / 6,500 rpm
236 ft-lb / 2,500 rpm (compare this with the Alfa's 5,000 rpm!)
1,495 kg (3,296 lbs)
424 pp
77 hp/L
13.45 lbs/hp

The Audi is a few tenths slower overall but has a nice big hatchback and 4WD. If you want something faster, try the Audi TT 3.2 '07 because the last time I tested the TT '03 it was quite a bit slower than the A3.

Back