Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

That sums up how I felt on the straights and what happened to me everytime I turned the wheel on an inside kerb, or worse it would happen on an uneven corner. Car gets a beater status from me.

I know it's only a small kei car, but look at all the stickers it has! They should be adding 5hp each, but they don't, they're all a lie. The stock tyres were way too sticky for such a slow car, and with it's boxy shape and light weight, meant that a spectator passing wind in the grandstands was enough force to flip it over. I'd rather that 10k was split between CS tyres and the biggest turbo you can fit in that motorcycle sized engine. Honestly, the Piazza feels like a Ferrari in comparison. Then we saw Jack and Baron take a detuned 1960's Alfa Romeo and VW Lupo respectively, which were quick enough to take a pitstop and still blow past the Click later in the same lap.

Low PP, FF cars tend to be some of my favourites to race in especially if you need to try and maximise momentum and can get a little two wheel action, but this gutless car was just too slow and topsy-turvy. Several times I was at the corner exit on 4 wheels when suddenly it just flipped on to it's side and the weird, BS online rollover physics kicked in.

Really does not deserve a "Type-R" on the name. Instead, I shall give it the pet name Click type R-tard.

Wish I was able to join last night. I came in about midway through the first of three laps at 24h Nurburgring then decided to back out and do some offline racing while I waited. When I came back to what I thought was perfect timing I got disconnected, twice. I gave up.

Where's the Click-R so I can change channels?!?!

This week, we take the Hyundai Click Type-R '04 out for a rip...

j1LnMpo.jpg

Made for the "Click Speed Festival", this little Cup Car has matching 103 hp and torque numbers to help get the 950kg "race" car around the track. Boasting a whopping 337pp, it is easily the least expensive of the Tuned offerings GT6 puts out to market. And by Tuned I mean the tires, which are almost as expensive to buy separately...

vXJfw2d.jpg

To be honest, this is another car that confuses me. I love the way it handles for a FF car! It doesn't act like one at all. You can take corners on a majority of tracks flat out. To me, this is the Korean version of the original Mini Cooper. It's a go cart that can handle more than one person. Fun to find out what its capabilities are. The car is just as fearless as the driver dares to be around corners at speeds where other cars would be in the ditch.

Getting the car up to speed is another story however... powered by a specially trained team of hamsters who take turns running inside the ball when the one hamster running gets tired is pretty well how it feels. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers said it best: The waiting is the hardest part! You get faster acceleration from an 8 year old kid pushing a 200lb man in a shopping cart uphill. Satisfaction finally comes when you get to a downhill section!

One of the added bonuses of the car is that it levels out the playing field. Anyone can be an alien in this car if you are fearless and can manage to keep the momentum going. Braking is a bad idea as you see immediate results... the other Clicks pulling away. The handling makes it a Sleeper, no doubt about it. The power and acceleration makes it a Beater.

qARX7eO.jpg

Just for fun, I de-tuned a VW Lupo GTI for the race at Sierra. Bringing it down to matching PP numbers, the stats were almost equal on paper. The former COTW Lupo had 102hp but was 25kg heavier. Ok, not bad I said... so I gave it a go. That race I started in 5th spot on the grid, and after some sloppy passing on my part, I took the lead. By the end of the first lap I had about a 15 second lead on GreenBrains, Vic and Lewis. These guys are fast in anything they drive. So just for fun and my insane curiosity, I took a pit stop. By the time I got out of pit lane, I was behind by about 20 seconds.

Well after a brief off track experience on lap 2 I was finally catching up to the 3 bandito's on lap 3. I would have passed them all too, if it wasn't for my very FATAL accident into a guardrail! Please play "Auf Weidersehen" by Anthrax in my memory... As for my verdict, this car "Getz" a tie, it's a Beater of a Sleeper in its stock form.

Cheers

@Lewis_Hamilton_ , believe it or not I didn't have to detune the Giula all that much, just one PP above the an oil changed Click right out of the dealership. Even with the very mild HP decrease, I definitely had a big top speed advantage on the long straights. That said, I do have to concede the Polo was the best car on Sierra that race, I was surprised how quickly I got ran back down by it after Baron's pit stop.

Getz to the Chopper!!

Another day, another case of stories to get written up.

One was on how Ford dropped the mic in Detroit and the other was on how to not choke in a major league game. :sly:

Of course like the best laid plans, someone always throws a spanner in the works, only this time I'm glad he did.

The phone rang and as expected it was Mack,
M: Want to go racing? Mack as usual cutting straight to the point.
V: Haven't we talked about this? I reminded him, We both know how this ends. :cool:
M: It's a little different this time, I got hold of some dirt cheap spec racers.
V: Spec racers? Like Miatas?
M: Nope, Hyundai Click(Getz) Type R's.

Upon hearing this, I almost hung up on him. :lol:
V: You're joking? :odd:
M: Nope, fresh tyres and all the safety gubbins installed.
V: Well at least they aren't death traps I suppose.
V: I take it the rest of the guys will be there too?
M: Naturally.
V: Ok, I'll be there.
M: great, but please for the love of all that's sacred, no automotive puns.
V: Okay, Okay, I'll Getz there as soon as I can. :P
M: Son of a - :mad:

One flight and a road trip later...

So there I was, strapped into a car with around 100hp in front of me and sticky tyres below me.

'Momentum' that word was hard wired into my brain, because this car wasn't powerful we had to keep our speed up by being smooth and brave through the turns.

I noticed in practice that the car had the grip but I couldn't get the car to properly rotate and fully exploit it, so I took a gamble.

I found a set of SH tyres and put them on at the back to help bring the back around more and as it would turn out they made the car a surprising package and great fun to drive.

The engine was pretty much worthless but as per the rules, no engine upgrades or gearbox upgrades were allowed, but they were pretty much the same as the road car so I didn't expect much.

So after a few mini enduro races where for 99% of the time we were on full throttle, I had a moment to think why this car had got under my skin and made me like it, then it hit me, It was the old saying, "slow car driven fast is more fun than fast car driven slow".

To me it's a sleeper, not in what it looks like, but in what it gives you.

For 10k, you have a race car and a blank canvas to turn it into a menace against the more established sports cars. Bargains don't get much better than that. :D

Verdict? Sleeper. ;)👍

This week allowed me to find a true gem of a car. Impeccable Handling. Driving Prowess, Understated Performance, Beautiful Lines, Artful Styl.....wait, what's that?

Oh, I can't go on about the Alfa? I have to review the Click? Fine, if you insist.

The Click, it's one of those cars that doesn't do anything fundamentally wrong, I must acknowledge that. With its sticky rubber, low weight, and very low power, it certainly handles well enough. But that said, it doesn't strike me as particularly noteworthy or special. The small engine may compliment the low weight, but without a turbo to aid it the car just has no oomph to it whatsoever. As for the styling....what styling? It's literally just a box with headlights up front and taillights stuck on the back.

Now, none of my quibbles would necessarily be deal-breakers normally if a car has decent enough handling, which this does. But honestly, this car's biggest problem is that its performance threshold is so low, that the Honda Fit you're forced to buy out of the gate in GT6 is clearly a better option, especially if you upgrade the tires on that car. So why would you buy a car that's a severe downgrade in performance, yet looks like it was styled by Maytag? Sure, you could pour 20k into it to bring up to speed...but then why not just buy a Civic, Miata, or Silvia with that money? It's utterly pointless. And that's why I have to rate it a Beater.

Despite being my choice of the week, I might not have input available for it before week's-end.

Been very busy this week, and what little time I find has gone towards investigating rfactor :D

But I share many thoughts as posted above, not the worst stock because of that cornering, but surprising once tinkered with & rather fun.

Feels underpowered, amirite? It's light on it's feet, so it's good for entry-level racing, but you want fun? Give it about 150hp and it starts to open up a lot more.

To be fair to the machine it does corner quite daringly and after a bit of a boost in power I went back to the City Trials and thrashed Vitale (who appeared this time in a green NSX - which didn't seem as powerful as his white one.)
This week's session was a blast, though, in terms of lolz - the COTW gang are a bunch of comedians. The reviews in here back that up. :lol:

^ Language Warning.

And yeah. Exactly. That's why I hate missing a session. Hanging out, with you guys, rock.
You are the only Online bunch I've raced with that race like gentlemen. (Albeit with that slight undercurrent of gangsterism :lol: )

That's what keeps me coming back too... and the fact that everyone gives hints, tips and support is an added bonus. I've learned quite a bit, and thought I was quick before but realised that there is always room to improve. Thanks to the COTW crew, I have improved and looking to further that improvement. The fact we add humour just makes it more interesting to say the least! :lol:

Cheers

That's what keeps me coming back too... and the fact that everyone gives hints, tips and support is an added bonus. I've learned quite a bit, and thought I was quick before but realised that there is always room to improve. Thanks to the COTW crew, I have improved and looking to further that improvement. The fact we add humour just makes it more interesting to say the least! :lol:

Cheers

Definitely. While I was Online quite a bit at the beginning of GT6 I was dismayed at the quality of Players. I did find good players to hang with on occasion but it was hit or miss - the philosophy extended was more about winning than enjoying the driving or actual flank-to-flank racing.
With COTW there is an understanding among the Players that good camaraderie is an important part of the get-together, that give-and-take is vital to friendship, and that we're there to test the car as well as help each other with our personal skills.
It's the one series that I have consistently attended - whenever time permitted.

We are gentleman, but with a slightly dark sense of humour. :D

I too found good players in the early days of GT6 but for every fast and clean driver I raced there were plenty of others who would ( may want to grab a drink for this. :P), drive dirty, talk smack and couldn't back it up, talk smack and then ask their friend ( who would be host :ouch:) to boot anyone who responded, Be biased as a host and giving friends extra lenience, be kamikaze drivers, be whiny squeakers, be rascist using outdated stereotypes, be entitled pains in the neck and finally, leave their mics on and it sounding like a domestic dispute. :scared:

It's quite safe to say that I had to get away from all that. :lol:

COTW allowed me to drive fast, help others and above all else, have a damn good time doing it. 👍

I still race in public lobby's every now and then, I just basically go full sarcastic when idiocy comes around. :sly:

And to think my first COTW contribution was a pic of my Buick GNX getting hang time at the Ring. :cool:

I just can't drive these FF things. I'm breaking for turns too much because everybody flies past me, or slams into my bumper. I need a high cliff to throw this thing off of.

Congratulations RobboGTAddict!

You've been selected to choose next week's car!

lotus-esprit-pretty-woman.jpg

It's the 1998 Lotus Esprit V8 GT!!!!

I bet that thing corners like it's on rails. Rails of cocaine.

Just a reminder, this week's races will likely be on Wednesday, if there's an update.

Back