Best sounding car

• Thread starter whatbrown
  • 744 comments
LF-A ftw! Normally I would go with the Zonda since it sounded godly in NFS: Shift but the GT5 version is insanely quiet apart from the loud backfire on downshift.

1. Ferrari F40! I simply refuse to install a new gearbox because that loud pitched gear whine will pollute the sound and delay my eargasm. Twin turbo V8 at 9-10k RPM :drool: It's important to pull it all the way up to the limiter. Add some rev bouncing and I'm ready to go.

2. Very close and well deserved second place is McLaren F1 with all upgrades (I don't remember the stock sound). Like someone else said, it really doesn't sound like a petrol engine. It sounds like a choire of lost souls being tormented in the abyss.

3. Camaro '69 Z28 RM sounds like testosterone.

4. Pagani Zonda R doesn't need any explanation.

5. Fifth place goes to all the cars relying heavily on turbochargers. I love how clearly you can hear the turbocharger(s) sucking in massive volumes of air when you're really pushing it. The Veyron is a good example. Any other with a stage 3 turbo should have the same thing.

Honorable mention goes to the Merc SLS AMG. Nice muffled grunt. But I only have about 70 cars so far and have driven maybe 20 of them so more to come I guess.

Last edited:
787B - eargasm. Wonder if the Zonda R's sound is dampened in GT5. According to Jeremy Clarkson, even Norwegians heard it when he tested it at the track. Well, we didn't, but he continues writing about how loud it is. But the sound is magnificent when you turn the sound up. = )

Hope Zonda F will come soon, which also has a beautiful sound! Not completely like the Zonda R, but a bit more grumbling.

Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 SV with a full race setup...

Absolute best sounding car I've ever heard in Gran Turismo....
And yes, I've got the ACR... (Close second)

Viper SRT10 and ACR(with sports exhaust, to fix it and make it sound like a Viper), Gallardo, M5, R8 5.2, LF-A. The C63, SLS and 599, all with no exhaust upgrades sound good also.

I really wish I had a good sound system. The cars all sound good, but I bet they sound GREAT with a proper setup.

I haven't heard a 787B yet, but now I'm excited. I like the way my 458 Italia sounds.

Not so thrilled with my Zonda R, but maybe I killed it by putting the turbo on it. It is too whiny with no throat. Is that how it really sounds? Why does an engine putting out 950 HP sound like a vacuum?

87 Mugen Motul Civic

LF-A with racing exhaust sounds amazing, the R8 Chrome has a sweet sound as well. I went on a spending spree and got it along with the Tuner IS-f. When I put the racing pipes on the LF-A, it really got my attention, I wasn't even going to get the car at first, but it is pretty nice.

The Peugeot 905 Race Car sounds sort of like a RC212V MotoGP bike on my TV. But it could just be because my TV has really terrible speakers :dopey:

I really wish I had a good sound system. The cars all sound good, but I bet they sound GREAT with a proper setup.

I haven't heard a 787B yet, but now I'm excited. I like the way my 458 Italia sounds.

Not so thrilled with my Zonda R, but maybe I killed it by putting the turbo on it. It is too whiny with no throat. Is that how it really sounds? Why does an engine putting out 950 HP sound like a vacuum?

I've got to admit I'm loving the sounds coming through my lossless surround set-up. It's marvellously wonderful at times

The racing exhaust adds too much distortion for my taste in many (but not all) cars - and not the wonderfully savage, mechanical grunt that engine sounds lack in many racing games (including GT5), just distortion. NFS Shift suffered from a similar issue - just dialed up even more.
And I probably can't blame my audio system - while it's not surround, it is €300+ Sennheiser headphones with a dedicated headphone amp and an external DAC between PS3 and amp.

I think my current favourites in GT5 are - with stock or sport exhaust - Ferrari F40, Maserati Gran Turismo S, Mercedes C63 AMG, Audi R8 4.2, Lexus LFA, Alfa 8c and Ferrari California.
Among the ones that do sound pretty great with race exhaust are the Audi R8 5.2, Zonda R (although this one certainly lacks a bit of the extremely savage noise of the real life car), the LP670-4 and my newly race modded TVR Tuscan Speed 6.

But I've still only driven a fraction of the cars in the game (and I'm sure I've also forgotten at least a few that I ought to have put on this list), so I'm sure I'll find many more I love to listen to - and even more that disappoint.

Just won the 66 cobra w/ a race exhaust it just sounds beastly. The 62 special sounds exactly like my 88 supra with the race exhaust, honestly it sounds like a 4banger.

I'm really loving my Ford GT (premium) with race exhaust and my Lexus IS-F racing concept. They both have very nice V8 manliness coming from the tailpipes.

I see many of you have chosen the Viper ACR. With my setup that car barely makes a sound. A Suzuki Swift is louder than the Viper. Is this only me or do you guys share the problem?

Back