Best sounding cars in gran turismo 6

• Thread starter KraigA
  • 456 comments
Surprised to see that the Red Bull Junior is popular with some - I had to turn down the volume when doing the Junior championship because its high pitch was so irritating (to me). I dislike any engine sound which is high-revving or high-pitched, which also means a lot of Ferraris are out for me.

So it's very much a personal thing, nobody is really right or wrong.

My favourites are mostly the classic muscle cars - in particular the Chevelle, the Challenger, the Cudas. Also some of the older small Japanese cars sound interesting - the old Skylines of the 60s and 70s and the Isuzus. The old '76 Golf GTI has a good rasp to it.

I've no way of telling if these are true to the real-life sounds.

the anniversary SRT Viper is music to my ears, I haven't tried to replicate 'yet' with a Stock SRT.

Same with the Shelby Daytona Coupe, it reaks of classic muscle car sound and immersion in your face, coming from a 2D monitor.

The Alfa One-77 is just so amazing between high speed shifts, anyone that favors a Veyron to this machine needs a serious MRI scan.

I had to put this in, but the Boss302 is the worst sound mated to car, in my GT5/6 history, I must say.
Alfa One-77?

Okay, let me make the question better; "Best" or "Correct" sounding cars? Because if there isn't a distinction, I can see were this thread is going... "If you adjust the sound settings, the (insert car name) sounds awesome... What kind of audio system you have...? I use headphones and it sounds better... yada, yada..." This said mostly by people who just put a racing exhaust on everything and don't know the difference between a 4 cylinder and a V12 (a.k.a the guy that works at PD sound department).

This is what I'm talking about:

No. It doesn't. Not even close. The Mclaren is completely wrong. This is the same sound sample that the Cizeta V16 has, which is one of the most exact examples in the game since GT4.

So yeah. No V12 here. Your Mclaren unfortunately sounds like it has the V16 engine of the Cizeta. Which by the way, they also use this sample for the Lamborghini Countach 25th anniversary.

Moving on. Let me answer the question.

As for which cars sound "correct?" Well, too many to mention. Example: All Vipers except the racing ones and the old GTS (NOTE: the Viper ACR needs the Sport Exhaust to sound like a Viper), Lexus LFA, BMW Z8, M5, M3 E92, and hundreds more. Cars that sound like the actual engine they have, no matter how crappy they sound. These are acceptable and I have no problems with them.

Which cars sound "good?" The Red Bull Junior, as many have noticed already.

What's funny about the cizeta sound is that it was first used for the Mitsubishi fto in gt2 :D

Yo dawg, I heard you like the Nurburgring
Xzibit_meme_7219-s510x334-157605.jpg

I got some Turtle Beach suround sound headphones for my BDAY a while ago and the X2014 Junior, Ferrari California, XKRS, Lotus 111R Race Car, and the Shelby Daytona Coupe sound amazing with them on.
I have driven the s**t out of the X2014 Jr. with the headphones on in arcade mode. It sounds amazing when you're in a group of them.

The very-low rev sounds of the Plymouth Roadster sounds... good? (I would assume most very old cars in the game will be similar)

Here's a good example, be aware when I say "Low revs" i mean very low revs. I refuse to call it a fart noise because that's what ricer cars make, this is what a very old car makes:

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Nismo R32 GT-R S-tune or the Audi R8 V10. They both sound incredibly close to their real-world counterparts.

Add a turbo setup in the R8 V10 and you have a pack of awesomeness!

I've already mentioned it in this same thread from GT5, but the Fiat Coupe has one of the best, most faithfully reproduced engine sounds - I refuse to call it "noise".
Oh, that 5-cylinder... sounds great through the whole rev range!

It's maybe not the "best sounding", but I was recently surprised that the 320i Touring Car actually sounds like a 6 cylinder. I don't know why, I just expected it would sound like a 4 cylinder. :dopey:

"It sounds about passable" - high praise indeed! Still missing that all important intake sound, though.

I've already mentioned it in this same thread from GT5, but the Fiat Coupe has one of the best, most faithfully reproduced engine sounds - I refuse to call it "noise".
Oh, that 5-cylinder... sounds great through the whole rev range!

Yes! This. The Fiat coupé followed by the Volvo S60. The 5 cylinder sound is so good in the coupé that they should have used it for the Audi Quatros... Because they sound nothing like 5 cylinders :(

Interesting topic here :). After being a long time forza fan, forza 4 for me had the widest and brightest range of accurate a delightful engine audio i've ever heard in a game, it was bliss, from v8's to old to new and race cars, the sound quality was epic...although, some "extra" attention was always done for the DLC cars hence why i bought most of the packs. Having only recently gotten a PS3, my experience with GT has been limited to 1-4 and a bit of 5 on a friends.

Project cars is another, wow. the Mclaren F1 is virtually 100% accurate, amazing.

However onto GT6, my my, there is a lot of BAD. Period. However, look hard enough and you DO find some gems, i've been doing this steadily as i've only just got it, the few I have found so far that hit the mark for me personally:

- MK1 golf '77 sounds pretty decent with stock exhaust, has that nice feel to its sound to its retro-ness
- VW camper van! I was pleasantly surprised to hear this sounded great stock exhaust! Loving it, fun with nitro lol.
- Renault Clio Sport 2.0 C16 02 (stock exhaust so far), you maybe thinking 'lul wut?' and yeah you'd be right BUTTT, it actually sounds pretty damn accurate, I only have the 1.2L 04 non-sport edition, and i've got to say, I just went and started it up and revved it a bit and did the same in game and around 4000rpm specifically, it's right on, admitadly it's "cleaner" with less "grrrummmmm" so to speak, but as far as accurate and good sounding, this was certainly a little gem to hear my own (almost) car sounding about 95% right.
- SRT Challenger '08 (stock exhaust), this was another "whats that decent sound i can hear?" kinda car, it has a lovely low and middle range RPM rumple and sounds decent high rpm too, i was overtaking one in single player race when i first got it and the roll off/swoop of the exhaust splutter really made me go hmmm nice. Another gem in my eyes, not quite as grunty as forza's by a long shot but a solid 85% from me
- 04/06 C5/C6 Corvette Z06's are another pair, when stock so far, that have a decent gurdle and rpm range through to be sounding nice, certainly a welcome treat, again not enough weight overall but a decent, enjoyable sound none the less

That's all so far apart from the ones previously mentioned here, I'll keep going to see what else i find :). Enjoying it so far.

Looks like I'll be buying a Fiat Coupé Turbo in the game soon, then. I thought it and the S60 had a weird exhaust sound in GT5, though. Overly lumpy, I thought; that particular exhaust sample set was also used on the Callaway C12 in GT5.

But the HSV isn't an F1 car so the sound isn't accurate? :dunce:

It's not accurate because they're "placeholders"; the interior sound, for example, is dominated by the "engine" sample, which is fine, but it's stolen from Tourist Trophy...

However, the exhaust configuration on the real HSV-010 means that, at 9000 rpm, it sounds like an F1 engine (or any other flat-plane V8 with the same exhaust configuration as an F1 car, or conceivably, the equivalent inline four) at 18000 rpm. The same thing applies to the late Georg Plasa's Judd "134", and GP2 cars, among others. The intake sound on all those examples still sounds "normal", so it gives them a unique and more guttural flavour over an F1 car. GT doesn't have intake sounds, though (there's a bit in the motorcycle "engine" sample for the HSV-010, which is why people like it).

For fun, the concept taken to the extreme yields this 16 cylinder, 10 000 rpm ish monstrosity! F1 car at 40 000 rpm, anyone?

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Nismo R32 GT-R S-tune or the Audi R8 V10. They both sound incredibly close to their real-world counterparts.

I'm sorry but the R8 V10 sounds nothing like the real car ..... the real car will leave the hair on the back of your neck standing from the sound alone. In GT6 it makes me want to cry:scared:

Have a listen to this and let me know if you still think they sound the same:lol:

I'm sorry but the R8 V10 sounds nothing like the real car ..... the real car will leave the hair on the back of your neck standing from the sound alone. In GT6 it makes me want to cry:scared:

Have a listen to this and let me know if you still think they sound the same:lol:

It indeed does sound like that, just not as aggressive.

Once again, the lack of intake sound really stunts GT's overall fidelity. The intake sound on the R8 V10, prominent in that video around the 26 second mark, is missing in the game.

Intakes are lumpy, meaty, aggressive and provide the grunt and funk-face inducing exhilaration for many cars, NA or otherwise.

Forza, for instance, really heavily mixes the intake sound into its overall scheme, as it responds well to the distortion effects and gives the sounds real "meat". FM2 did it without distortion, of course, and was all the better for it, in my humble opinion.

Back