Best sounding cars in gran turismo 6

• Thread starter KraigA
  • 456 comments
Senna's Lotus after the update is brutal! Especially if you're using the "small theatre" or "large theatre" sound options, which expands the dynamic range of the sounds.

The Ford GT40 with racing exhaust is fantastic.

All cars sound better across the board concerning mic placement and propper mixing of sounds (engine,exhaust,turbo,induction, wind,tires,reverb and echo, but some cars still sound all out wrong, FXX, BMW race cars, Diablo GTR etc. but above all else, the game sounds eons better then pre update.

Interior comparison to pre update is like night and day.

I always wondered what GT would sound like with a propper mixing and realistic interior muffle, and now i do, and i am beyond impressed.

Still there is room for alot more improvement, but they are advancing quickly in the right direction.

i'm sure the new sound engineers know what they're doing. and it's starting to show.

Last edited:
Can anyone post the sounds here ? I dont have GT6 but i wanna hear the improvements. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like a big one.

I second this. I'm hearing a lot of users liking the car sound improvements. This is very impressive if true, which I would love to see some uploaded car sound clips. I'm sure there will be some uploaded clips later on, since the update arrived recently 👍

Oh man...the deep induction bellow of the stock Focus ST '06 with the 5 cylinder turbo..... just did so many laps on silverstone listening to it.....

damn good update. sounds nearly like the one that was featured on top gear.

who ever mixed these sounds knew what the hell they were doing.

Last edited:
Judging from the youtube clip. I haven't played GT6 for quite some time and moved on to other things. I didn't even install the 1.14 patch..

It's definitely a vast improvement and a step into the right direction. And, I don't want to be "that guy", but..
For my taste, the feedback in the high tones of the reverb is way too prominent. It even makes the high tones sound "hollow" with a feedback loop from "out of nowhere", just like a bad set grain/granular reverb will do.
I think it would sound even better if that feedback would be toned down and not resemble sound that shouldn't be heard at all.
I don't know if it is in the reverb at all. But I stick to it, I'm hearing something that really shouldn't be in the output that prominent at all.

Again, it IS a step into the right direction :)

So all cars got the sound update ? Damn i really wanna hear ALL of it :lol:.

They still have to tinker with how fast the gear shifting is. It's a bit annoying sometimes. So far the Subaru vision GT is my favourite, need to know how GT40 mk1 and AE86 SS version sounds like.

Judging from the youtube clip. I haven't played GT6 for quite some time and moved on to other things. I didn't even install the 1.14 patch..

It's definitely a vast improvement and a step into the right direction. And, I don't want to be "that guy", but..
For my taste, the feedback in the high tones of the reverb is way too prominent. It even makes the high tones sound "hollow" with a feedback loop from "out of nowhere", just like a bad set grain/granular reverb will do.
I think it would sound even better if that feedback would be toned down and not resemble sound that shouldn't be heard at all.
I don't know if it is in the reverb at all. But I stick to it, I'm hearing something that really shouldn't be in the output that prominent at all.

Again, it IS a step into the right direction :)
It's because it's not designed with samples in mind :)
Needless to say, that excites me somewhat!

You're getting the doubled effect of the recorded soundfield in the samples (spatial coloration inherent), plus the coloration that PD is trying to add. That added coloration is required when the sounds being used in the game won't have it inherently - i.e. when they're synthesised from scratch. ;)

Notice (when you get to it) how realistic the Subaru VGT sounds in cockpit view compared to any car using samples in the game, or even that same VGT in any other view (the other "new method" cars are all open top, so the effect is not noticeable.)

They are making the new early reflection component of the reverb pull double duty on the cabin colouration, so it's not surprising it sounds "reverby" - good ear, nonetheless! However, it is at least a true system that can be expanded, not just an EQ tweak. With more "taps" available on PS4, it'll sound much richer. It can also be made car-specific, and I've seen evidence of that data collection in an infamous picture of PD contractors recording a car...

The actual reverb unit (not audible in that video) is still the same algorithmic one as before, which is also a bit sparse, so it sounds more like an echo - the few early reflections PD have added just about contribute some richness when the game makes use of them, but again more of that on PS4.

Still no intake sound, which is going to be the real game changer; but maybe only on PS4. :)

Omg I just tried the viziv GT on SSR 5 and I can't believe what it happened... :eek: You must try this combo your ears will say thank you to me :dopey:

And whatch your replay !!!!

The new Subaru VIZIV GT Vision Gran Turismo concept sounds pretty awesome actually

Yep it's without a doubt the most memorable engine sound up to date. I wonder who gave Kaz these awesome ideas for this update.

This car proves that you can make a good VGT car without an interior.

Yep it's without a doubt the most memorable engine sound up to date. I wonder who gave Kaz these awesome ideas for this update.

This car proves that you can make a good VGT car without an interior.
It still would be nice with out, but I agree sound is what everyone experiences no matter what view they use while interior only people who use inside view will even see. I never use that view and have no idea what most interiors look like.

Wonder why didn't BMW just supply PD with some of their "Active Sound Design"
Because that's actually less sophisticated than what PD is already doing. Of course, BMW will have access to real simulations for engineering purposes, but PD would need that at some point, too. The difference is that proper audio work has different requirements from what the auto engineers need.

Last edited:
I'm really very happy with the new sound update.. Unfortunately, although the sounds are better, it's still video gamey :( and no where near pc titles! To back my argument this is a 1 minute clip with a 70s Formula in Game Stock Car. It sounds so real people think I watch live racing!

I may be the only one but I find the sound too muffled in cockpit view. I choose exterior sound for every view and I'm pleased with it. I also try the GT40 Mk. 1 with racing exhaust and man, that sounds great!

I may be the only one but I find the sound too muffled in cockpit view. I choose exterior sound for every view and I'm pleased with it. I also try the GT40 Mk. 1 with racing exhaust and man, that sounds great!
Sounds better with sports exhaust in my opinion!

Back