Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,479 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would make sense if the questions were on things like "What's the national speed limit?", "What's the legal age of *something*?". As it is, it's just silly.

In fact, forget that, recreate the quiz, but fill it full of QI questions. "How many wives did Henry VIII have? Six you say? Sorry, try again next year."

Depends, does the Battle of Bosworth Field count? Was a battle of the War of the Roses, which was A Civil War, but it wasnt THE Civil War :P

That name change is gonna confuse me for such a long time >__>

Depends, does the Battle of Bosworth Field count? Was a battle of the War of the Roses, which was A Civil War, but it wasnt THE Civil War :P

That name change is gonna confuse me for such a long time >__>

The civil war is commonly, but as you point out, not ubiquitously held to be the War Of The Three Crowns.

Basically, Charles vs. Cromwell. Name battles without peeking.

I was just being awkward, I know you're simply saying the test is stupid. I thought I knew one or two, but after looking it up turns out I don't know any, and there are about 50 of them :P

Battle of *town/city* seems to be the way to go though.

Its shameful. I've studied history since I started school, even took it at A-Level, and I can't name a battle of our own Civil War. I don't think we even studied it to any great length, the 1066 conquest was much more popular it seems.

If you grew up anywhere in the Midlands or Yorkshire, you should know at least five Civil War battles.

Their sites are everywhere if you grew up there. Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire particularly.

I know of Worcester, which was one of the most decisive battles, and there were two separate battles in and around Chester, which began the war as a Royalist fort but fell to the Parliamentarians.

But the only things they teach you in Chester are Roman and Welsh border stuff. There are few references to the Civil War.

If you grew up anywhere in the Midlands or Yorkshire, you should know at least five Civil War battles.

Their sites are everywhere if you grew up there. Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire particularly.

I've lived in Yorkshire my entire life. The only thing I can even think of are the sieges of Sandal Castle, because we visited it one year as part of GCSE history.

I can do Marston Moor, Winceby, Naseby, Adwalton Moor, Seacroft Moor, Burton Bridge and... err... Gainsborough. Naseby's the biggest one on there - a bit of a Civil War turning point - and coincidentally the only one not in the Midlands or Yorkshire... it's in Northants.

Clearly either my school's history classes weren't very good, I didn't pay attention enough, or I don't do enough recreational history :P

I was born much nearer the Civil War than you, chronologically. :D

I think some civil war stuff happened in Wiltshire, so I'm gonna give it a go. Battle of Salisbury? Stonehenge? Swindon? :P

There was a battle in Newbury, 7 miles from me. I've been to Highclere castle many times in fact.

There was a battle in Newbury, 7 miles from me. I've been to Highclere castle many times in fact.

The only battle at Newbury was when Swampy and the tree huggers, tried to stop the A34 Newbury bypass.

I can name precisely zero battles of the Civil war. I cannot be British.

Give it a few years daan and you'll have a non-British passport by the looks of things.

Which brings us to it. Scottish independece. What are the thoughts?

I don't see why they would want it really, other than national pride of course. Forgive me for probably making an idiot of myself but I don't think Scotland really has enough... stuff, for want of a better word, to be able to make it as a sovereign nation. What would their economy be based on?

I don't see why they would want it really, other than national pride of course. Forgive me for probably making an idiot of myself but I don't think Scotland really has enough... stuff, for want of a better word, to be able to make it as a sovereign nation. What would their economy be based on?

The oil that Westminster claims for itself. And tourism. Those are the arguments in favour of it.

I'm not against it per say, that's entirely for the Scottish people to decide and I won't be offended either way but I feel that it will be a logistical nightmare to sort out. Would Scotland become totally independent? What about the EU? NATO? The UN? Would it keep the Queen as Head of State and function like Canada and Australia within the Commonwealth? Passport control, embassies, roads, rail, airspace, currency, nuclear armmament and so many things I can't immediately think of.

I agree, I'm not really bothered either way, the only way it'll affect me is that the UK will stop winning medals in Curling at the Winter Olympics :P :P

I was just thinking that it wouldn't really be worth the time and effort, unless they keep most of the things the way they are now anyway (some of the stuff you brought up, like currencies, relationships with UN, etc.)

The fact that pretty much everything infastructure-wise is based in England anyway. Or at least, I think they are, does Scotland have its own rail authority and whatnot? Would mean it would cost an absolute fortune, in a time where no Government can really afford to do anything.

Railways are privatised and franchised. Scotland manages its own railways, but English firms use some of the lines on InterCity routes. Railways are a whole separate issue. But yeah, they are one of many logistical hurdles to overcome, should Scotland break away.

It's the fact that 'most things' are based in England which is the problem. The Scots feel disenfranchised and unrepresented, I think. As do we Welsh, but we're far less likely to want a referendum on independence.

Latest Posts

Back