Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd be idly curious what the problem is with people jogging for 13 miles. It's not like the roads are closed when they're training.

A famous British TV personality treads dangerous ground in the Independent today by claiming that Monty Python was 'not very good'...

Link

Incidentally, he's not alone in his criticism... John Cleese has previously said that Python contained 'an awful lot of dross'.

Wait 'til Biggus Dickus hears of this...

A famous British TV personality treads dangerous ground in the Independent today by claiming that Monty Python was 'not very good'...

Link

Incidentally, he's not alone in his criticism... John Cleese has previously said that Python contained 'an awful lot of dross'.

Wait 'til Biggus Dickus hears of this...

Some of it was more 'filler' than others, that's definitely true if you look at the series... especially later stuff. There are also some of the world's finest moments of surrealist observational comic genius mounted in there, of course.

Still, how DARE he?! I've never heard such nonsense, British Institution, comedy legends etc. etc. !

I'm no fan on Scottish independence, but I have to say, I think this is a massive over-statement.

The nuclear weapons issue is a thorny one and there are obvious questions as to what will happen to the British army/defence capabilities if and when Scotland becomes independent... but it hardly plays into the hands of the 'forces of darkness', or even makes the world a more dangerous place... it is likely, if not certain, that there will a very long period of transition from Scotland being armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons to not having any - indeed, it may not ever happen, whether or not Scotland becomes independent. But I seriously doubt that the British Isles will be any less well defended no matter what happens - Scotland may become independent, but that doesn't mean that England and Scotland cannot continue to cooperate, just on a different legal basis.

Scottish independence is small beer compared to other, far more pressing threats to global security - religious extremism, poverty, fascism/communism, population growth/demographic change, social/economic instability, climate change, rogue states and various power struggles between would-be imperialist nations, to name but a few. Compared to any of those issues, Scottish independence doesn't even register.

It is highly ironic that seeking to acquire nuclear weapons is considered to be completely unacceptable on the basis that it is a risk to global security, and yet we're trying to get rid of the bloody things and that is considered a risk to global security as well!

Last edited:
That's an odd article, it seems to agree and disagree with itself to the extent of saying nothing.

Scotland will undoubtedly be invited to NATO and, in the rush for Iceland that would presage Defence of the Realm it's likely that Royal forces would simply overfly the Scots anyway. It's not like they'll be heavily armed or anything :D

I think Robertson's central concern is that an independent Scotland would encourage other independence and secession movements around the world. The Lord of Fear might prefer the Scots in blue warpaint and rusty chains rather than risk having a free people exercise their own free choices.

Last edited:
The Bavarian independence movement already lists Wales and Scotland as nations, or more accurately ethnic groups, that it should mould itself on.

It all depends what Scotland wants for its armed forces. And I ddon't think it knows.

Initial claims for X Euro fighters and Y frigates with Z battalions suggests that Scotland would want a rather competent armed forces. That would integrate with NATO well but to do so adds even more cost to your armed forces.

Nukes? I think ultimately we'll see a decade long or more agreement that allows the Nuclear Submarine force to remain in place post-independence and this will probably be as part of a deal that allows Scotland its "fair share" of other military equipment.

It all depends what Scotland wants for its armed forces. And I ddon't think it knows.

Initial claims for X Euro fighters and Y frigates with Z battalions suggests that Scotland would want a rather competent armed forces. That would integrate with NATO well but to do so adds even more cost to your armed forces.

Nukes? I think ultimately we'll see a decade long or more agreement that allows the Nuclear Submarine force to remain in place post-independence and this will probably be as part of a deal that allows Scotland its "fair share" of other military equipment.

The extra complication is that our forces are made up of English, Welsh, Scots and Irish regiments (or similar). The history of those regiments goes back a very long way and is something that they're very proud of. There's no way a Scottish regiment would move-to-and-serve-in England.

The extra complication is that our forces are made up of English, Welsh, Scots and Irish regiments (or similar). The history of those regiments goes back a very long way and is something that they're very proud of. There's no way a Scottish regiment would move-to-and-serve-in England.
1 and 2 Royal Welsh Battalions aren't based in Wales.

The fact is those soldiers serve the queen, and many a soldier is proud of that. How many would immediately turn to Alex Salmond I do not know.

Sheffield Half Marathon cancelled at the start due to shortage of water stations for the runners.

Runners run anyway, police try to stop them...

I'd be idly curious what the problem is with people jogging for 13 miles. It's not like the roads are closed when they're training.

They either have no space in their house to put exercise equipment or can't afford it.

...eh???

Stay classy, Daily Heil:
Blp5L4lCEAAZrMW.png

Seen it doing the rounds on FB, classic Daily Fail.

As much as it is a system open to abuse, would you really do it for such cheap products?

That's 3 days worth? Jeez, I don't buy that much in a month :D

Seriously though, it appears the Mail has a bit of a campaign against the charity that operates the food banks.

So how does this stack up... emergency food package ~£20.00 has to be paid for by a charity, whilst the government is paying benefits to families that can afford smartphone contracts, broadband and SkyTV.... the system just isn't balanced correctly, there's too many receiving money that don't need it.

Stuff like this infuriates me more about the Fail than its actual journalism.

Especially the one on the bottom. "older than her years" and "all grown up" are Daily Fail code for You may now masturbate over this girl, you dirty perverts. Go on, you know you want to.

BlVAkjYCcAA6oZY.jpg:large

I think it's good to see the language protected, it would be a shame to see another one go extinct.

And in a move that surprised absolutely no-one, a certain British newspaper with a habit for balls-ups is now predictably trying to pin the blame on video games. :rolleyes:

I hope that I never, ever give the Daily Fail a reason to do a profile on me based on my Facebook profile and what someone-who-somehow knew me said.

And I've already heard whispers of people suggesting xray scanners in schools already. ..

And in a move that surprised absolutely no-one, a certain British newspaper with a habit for balls-ups is now predictably trying to pin the blame on video games.
I just saw a report on this on the ABC, and I think you give them far too much credit - they didn't just try to blame the attack on video games in general, but rather on Crash Bandicoot specifically.

Back