Budget Car Challenge

• Thread starter Airrider
  • 1,553 comments
I should be submitting my car tomorrow, if all goes to plan. I've got a couple picked out, I just hope they can be competitive!

I avoided RWD to try and make the comfort hards slightly easier :lol:

The two cars I have are FWD and 4WD. I've not driven them both, just hope the understeer isn't catastrophic as I imagine! :P

watch, VTiRoj will probably bring a '79 civic with all his suspension doodads (doodads?) and leave my tire roaster in the dust!

:lol::lol::lol:

While it is entirely possible for me to afford a '79 Civic and a fully custom suspension kit with change left over, I don't think that's the best path to take. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

While it is entirely possible for me to afford a '79 Civic and a fully custom suspension kit with change left over, I don't think that's the best path to take. :lol:

I was going to do something crazy like a midget II or gl240 estate, but I'm a little new to be the class clown, and I don't want to waste Airriders time and effort. I have to say I am surprised at what my choice turned out to be, it was at the bottom of my list of 6-8 cars. great times!

I was going to do something crazy like a midget II or gl240 estate, but I'm a little new to be the class clown, and I don't want to waste Airriders time and effort. I have to say I am surprised at what my choice turned out to be, it was at the bottom of my list of 6-8 cars. great times!

From reading through the thread, Airrider used to do the competition too entering an oddball car like a Copen or whatever, so you wouldn't be as "class clown" by picking a Midget or a 240GL as you might think, might even earn you some bonus points :P

Quick question, from reading through the thread I got the impression it was much more lively during competitions than it has been for this month, is that the case or just me imagining things?

Have a question here in the interest of fair play. I've heard that the tickets for engine rebuild totally restore a car to like 0/0 condition so a high mileage car that you buy for cheap because of that mileage won't have the permanent power loss that you also get. Is this true? If so are the tickets off limits since not everyone has them and they would in effect be a circumvention of the rules?

Have a question here in the interest of fair play. I've heard that the tickets for engine rebuild totally restore a car to like 0/0 condition so a high mileage car that you buy for cheap because of that mileage won't have the permanent power loss that you also get. Is this true? If so are the tickets off limits since not everyone has them and they would in effect be a circumvention of the rules?

Engine Rebuilds don't count towards the budget anyway.

TopGearFTW
Quick question, from reading through the thread I got the impression it was much more lively during competitions than it has been for this month, is that the case or just me imagining things?

Some months tend to be more lively than others. This one will probably pick up once the competition gets going.

The understeer in the car i thought I'd decided on is awful on comfort hards :lol:
I may need to rethink things here...

mjm_98
How would I join ( I know I'm too late for this one but looking at April )

I'm not sure as you're too late to join this month!
I can't speak on Airriders behalf, but I know I've not submitted my car choice yet. And there's probably others that haven't either :)

McRoflSandwich
I'm not sure as you're too late to join this month!
I can't speak on Airriders behalf, but I know I've not submitted my car choice yet. And there's probably others that haven't either :)

Sorry I didn't quite get your post

Another quick question. After I submitted my car setup, i actually tested the car (why I didn't do this prior I don't know) and want to swap out one of my purchases for something else. Should I E-Mail Airrider the entire thing again, or just send one saying "Hey, I'm swapping this for this, kthx." :P:P

EDIT: ^ ^ He's saying it's not too late for you to enter for this months contest, just E-Mail Airrider with your car and setup (listing the costs, it must not exceed 30k) and you're in.

TopGearFTW
Another quick question. After I submitted my car setup, i actually tested the car (why I didn't do this prior I don't know) and want to swap out one of my purchases for something else. Should I E-Mail Airrider the entire thing again, or just send one saying "Hey, I'm swapping this for this, kthx." :P:P

EDIT: ^ ^ He's saying it's not too late for you to enter for this months contest, just E-Mail Airrider with your car and setup (listing the costs, it must not exceed 30k) and you're in.

Yeah that is what I meant haha. Sorry if that didn't read right, I'm tired :P

I think I'd email him again with all your parts and just tell him which one you've swapped :)

Ok sorry if I missed something but are the following "free"
Wheel change/paint
Body paint
Oil change on new cars
Tyres (what levels)

mjm_98
Ok sorry if I missed something but are the following "free"
Wheel change/paint
Body paint
Oil change on new cars
Tyres (what levels)

Yeah they're all free this month. But one of the restrictions for this season is that you have to be running comfort hard tyres. But they're free also.

You can also do the engine/chassis rebuild for free this season too.

Engine Rebuilds don't count towards the budget anyway.
The issue is that after a certain amount of mileage a car is not returned to full power even with an engine rebuild. That is part of the reason for reduced price on higher mileage cars. If I pay say Cr28,000 for a car with 80,000km a regular rebuild won't get it back to full power. That car probably cost Cr40,000+ as a 0/0 car. If the tickets get you back to the full 0/0 power of the car then I've in effect bought a car that costs more than the budget allows for.

Yeah they're all free this month. But one of the restrictions for this season is that you have to be running comfort hard tyres. But they're free also.

You can also do the engine/chassis rebuild for free this season too.

Hmm, I read the rules as the standard tyres if you don't buy your own set is Comfort Hards, but you can still buy a Sports set or whatever, but you have to take it out of the budget. Is that wrong and Comfort Hards are compulsory?

Basically anything from GT Auto is free EXCEPT aero (or Racing Mods I guess, but they are wayyyy over budget anyway)

Don't triple post, just edit your first post. Yes the aids are the same. I would imagine standards will be more common as they are cheaper.

TopGearFTW
Hmm, I read the rules as the standard tyres if you don't buy your own set is Comfort Hards, but you can still buy a Sports set or whatever, but you have to take it out of the budget. Is that wrong and Comfort Hards are compulsory?

Hmm... I interpreted it as though comfort hards were compulsory this time and we couldn't change the tyres :dunce:

Also you mentioned racing modifications, are premiums allowed this round? Or have they always been allowed and I somehow convinced myself that they're not? :lol:

Still waiting on an answer for this, please. :P

mjm_98, aero parts are allowed as long as they fit into the budget. 👍

Okay emailed Airrider my entry...hope I got it right and that it isn't to late.:nervous:

Wasn't the car I originally thought about entering but was to good a deal to pass up...maybe:drool:

Next chance I have to enter is tomorrow evening, so I'll wait another month for the debut you ALL anticipated (I did hear that sigh!) but hopefully I'll be off SSX by April...

Back