Wreckfest - General Discussion

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 1,601 comments
Umm think I am missing something here, I signed up for the newsletter, confirmed the subscription via the email I received which gave me the option to proceed to the site, but where is the first tech demo? Should I receive another email with a link?

EDIT: Tried it a second time and the link appeared below where I signed up, on the site itself. Pretty sure it didn't the first time!

Last edited:
Nicely done video, Fyshokid.

Game looks a lot of fun but not sure I should buy it yet. Would be nice to play it complete like I did with Destruction Derby on the PS1.

Very cool story how the game has come about too.

Last edited:
I just got NCG today, paid for entirely with trading card 'money', and it is just the best thing. Easily my GOTY for whatever year it releases in. The driving physics are as good as you'll get outside of a proper sim, I was worried they'd be a bit too arcadey but I think it's spot on. I have yet to find anything I could or would criticise, actually.

This game looks really fun and like I might be able to get some non racing game fans to play it with me. I've got a few questions though.

Can you race with friends?
Does it support a steering wheel?
How customizable are the races ?

Right now it is in a really early beta state and there is no online or split screen. Bugbear Games intends to include multi and maybe split screen (they started a poll)

It supports a steering wheel and a gamepad as well as KB/Mouse

You can choose the car (there are are only 3 now) and they are somewhat customizable with options for engine, type of suspension and some other things, the type of race (dirt course, tarmac course, figure 8 or demo derby), laps and number of AI. It's all in a very early state right now.

Thee is not much content in the game yet. What they do have is very good quality.

Downloaded the latest version yesterday to just do a quick race to see how it's coming along. Then three hours later.....
I hooked up my 360 pad and the handling seems pretty good, and seeing 50 loose tires fly through the air all at once so fluidly while there are 15 odd cars on screen already is really cool to see.

Has anyone managed to get more exotic wheels working with this game?

The game sees and names my ECCI 7000 wheel and CST pedals, but I cannot get them to function properly. Without them connected the keyboard controls work normally, but when wheel and pedals are connected even the keyboard gets all messed up and the keys: work/half-work/don't work. I've tried all sorts of re-mapping, but no luck. For what it's worth the wheel registers as a generic: Immersion Touchsense Steering Wheel (USB HID), while the pedals are named more precisely as: CST Performance Pedals.

Is it me, or (current state of) the game?

Update and update.

I had already sorted my controller issues.

There is new update available for download and I'm loving the results. New force feedback and handling being the stars of the show. Would be nice to get some adding their voices on the BugBear forum, as most people seem to be whining that the cars are now uncontrollable...... with a keyboard!! Hopefully the devs will avoid dumbing this game down for the lowest common denominator.

Next Car Game gameplay belonging to July update. The video is a race of three laps with the American Muscle car at the Tarmac circuit with 24 cars at evening.

Aaaargh! It happened.

Sadly, shortly after releasing patch 5, which had fantastic potential, a hotfix has been released that very much dumbs the driving model down.

Aaaargh! It happened.

Sadly, shortly after releasing patch 5, which had fantastic potential, a hotfix has been released that very much dumbs the driving model down.
What do you mean?

How?

I'm curious.

What do you mean?

How?

I'm curious.

Allay your curiosity. The whole engine has had an overhaul in recent updates, this means that the driving dynamics have changed slightly. It's almost like a blank canvas for them when they did the overhaul so it feels different now to how it did and no doubt different to how it will feel when released.

Ah, ok!

Only thing I have to do is buy this game when it's released and see for myself. :d

This game is loads of fun and has tons of potential, its just very limited on content right now. Once they get the content in there, some more game play modes and a bit more polish, its going to be a homerun. Bugbear really has a solid product on their hands with this one..

What do you mean?

How?

I'm curious.
Allay your curiosity. The whole engine has had an overhaul in recent updates, this means that the driving dynamics have changed slightly. It's almost like a blank canvas for them when they did the overhaul so it feels different now to how it did and no doubt different to how it will feel when released.
The dismay for me is much about the lowest common denominator community demands being serviced over pushing through challenging infrastructure changes, for the greater good.

Basically, we got a new engine that was not perfect but had a great deal more substance and richness to it. Immediately their was a barrage of complaints from people struggling to control their virtual vehicles with..... yep..... a freakin' keyboard, of all things. A few days on and the devs dumbed the handling down to levels if anything below patch #4. Even with all assists off, there's pretty much no chance of losing control of the car now. It has a very "on rails" feel to it.

The dismay for me is much about the lowest common denominator community demands being serviced over pushing through challenging infrastructure changes, for the greater good.

Basically, we got a new engine that was not perfect but had a great deal more substance and richness to it. Immediately their was a barrage of complaints from people struggling to control their virtual vehicles with..... yep..... a freakin' keyboard, of all things. A few days on and the devs dumbed the handling down to levels if anything below patch #4. Even with all assists off, there's pretty much no chance of losing control of the car now. It has a very "on rails" feel to it.
So it's pretty much pure arcade, handling wise.

In that case, I'm not that interested anymore.

Right now? Yes, but keep an eye out because there's great potential. I'm glad that I had a little peek at what might be possible. It depends on which way the devs ultimately choose to go. I've already seen more sim in it than some self-proclaimed sim coders have managed, to be honest. So, they're able, let's hope they're also willing.

I'll have a blast either way, but I really would like to see the game go in a debauchery for connoisseurs direction. ie. Mayhemic racing with simulation sensibilities.

Of course it's arcade handling- this is not and will not be a sim. It's meant to be a fun arcade game that is completely over-the-top.

Firsly, I don't know why you were expecting this to be a sim anyway.

Secondly, @LeMansAid this game isn't even remotely close to finished, they have "dumbed down" the physics for keyboard and pad users because they had to go some steps backwards after revamping the engine. It's ridiculous to judge it's direction given that it has just had a major overhaul.

Of course it's arcade handling- this is not and will not be a sim. It's meant to be a fun arcade game that is completely over-the-top.

There is a huge difference between pure arcade handling and simcade handling! I read on the internet that it had a more challeging handling physics aka not pure arcade but more simcade.

Firsly, I don't know why you were expecting this to be a sim anyway.
I never said that I was expecting a sim! Ofcourse this is not a sim or hardcore sim or whatever. I’m just not interested in a pure arcade handling physics.
My apologies that I expect more of a game than just pure arcade handling. ;)

Secondly, @LeMansAid this game isn't even remotely close to finished, they have "dumbed down" the physics for keyboard and pad users because they had to go some steps backwards after revamping the engine. It's ridiculous to judge it's direction given that it has just had a major overhaul.
I didn’t know that the physics could change for the better >> less arcade and more simcade handling.

Don’t forget what LeMansAid said.

*snip*

Apparently the handling was better before this patch. Now it sounds more like a pure arcade physics.
I was merely basing my comments on what LeMansAid said.

Right now? Yes, but keep an eye out because there's great potential. I'm glad that I had a little peek at what might be possible. It depends on which way the devs ultimately choose to go. I've already seen more sim in it than some self-proclaimed sim coders have managed, to be honest. So, they're able, let's hope they're also willing.

I'll have a blast either way, but I really would like to see the game go in a debauchery for connoisseurs direction. ie. Mayhemic racing with simulation sensibilities.
Me too!

Back