"Cannot Connect to Server" Problem--Solved

• Thread starter frezik
  • 33 comments
hardburn
tl;dr version--input your ISP's DNS servers manually into network settings.

I bought the game on launch day. Ever since then, if my networking cable is plugged in, the game would hang at the opening screen, then come back a few minutes later saying it couldn't connect to the server. It did it again when entering the main menu. I can sign in to PSN, update to 1.03, and play other games online (just not GT5).

This seems to be a consistent problem with some portion of the playerbase, and there is no word on the issue from Sony/Polyphony. My temporary fix was to disconnect my ethernet cable so that it times out right away. Of course, you can't play online then or share cars.

The problem is definitely not server overload, as some threads have assumed. It happens too consistently for it to be server lag. The problem is the local network and how the game is implemented. It also doesn't appear to be a port forwarding/DMZ issue.

What I found was that my router (a Linksys WNR3500 running DD-WRT firmware) was giving itself as the main DNS server. Either something is broken with the way I configured DNS on the router (though I haven't had any DNS problems elsewhere), or GT5 doesn't like a local DNS server for some reason.

Interestingly, even though my router was giving itself as the primary DNS, it was sending my ISP's DNS servers as secondary. If the primary DNS doesn't work, it ought to automatically fall back to the secondaries.

Solution: go to network settings, and go through the network setup in custom mode. Let the machine pick up everything else automatically (like you probably do now), but override the DNS settings manually (you should be able to get this info out of your current router config, or ask your ISP).

With my router's IP out of the DNS list, I was able to start the game and get the "Online Agreement" popup at the start and move through the menu normally.

So there you have it. Thanks go out to Google, which let me track down forum threads in many different places before I was able to find something that worked. No thanks to Sony and Polyphony, who seem to be completely mum on this issue.

Frezik, thank you very much for this incredibly helpful, yet simple fix.

I was quite annoyed with the 'A connection to the server could not be established' message that I was ready to shell out money for a new router. I toyed with my current router opening "PS Network" ports, switching from 'n' to 'g', DMZ settings, and whatnot for a couple hours.

Luckily I came across this thread and the fix took a minute. 👍👍

ive found the DNS codes what do i do with them ?

Since you have the DNS codes in hand and assuming you're in Network Connections Custom Mode, select Automatic/Default settings for the inputs until you reach DNS settings. Once you reach DNS settings, select Manual and input your ISP's DNS code into the Primary while leaving the Secondary blank.

I am having the same problem 'conection to server can not be established' I understand how to change the DNS code, but where do I get the code from?

Last edited by a moderator:
I created a login just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have been trying to play with the "Could not establish a connection with the server" error for over a week to no avail.

Then, I came here and looked up my DNS from my router settings, and followed these instructions, and it's fixed!

Thanks again!!

I am having the same problem 'conection to server can not be established' I understand how to change the DNS code, but where do I get the code from?

Roza, you can find these in your router settings. Google search your router's name and there will be a lot of sites with how to connect to your router using your browser. Then, usually the DNS info is in your router settings under "Status" or something. You can PM me if you need more help.

I tried this too, thank you frezik but... doesn't work... since the first day that I can't connect... always getting the same message "Cannot Connect to Server"...

Now I don't even can play in the Signature Event...

I tried this too, thank you frezik but... doesn't work... since the first day that I can't connect... always getting the same message "Cannot Connect to Server"...

Now I don't even can play in the Signature Event...
I had the same problem as you before. If you are on a router, do a hard reset on it (press the small button on the router). Then go to your PS3 network settings and configure the internet connection with Auto setup. Happy gaming.

Well i'm glad some people got this working, and thanks for posting a solution!

I did everything on here and when I test the connection it works fine but it just won't sign into ps network now :( what am I doing wrong

it says its most likely a dns error but I put the correct dns code on there...i'm pretty sure lol

Edit:

ok ps network works now...but i still have the same problem with gt5 not connecting :( I just hope I get a decent chance to do gt academy

EDIT2: ok so this is what happens...signs into ps network...open the game..server doesn't connect and signs me off of ps network...even if I close the game and try signing back into the network it won't until I restart the ps3

HERES HOW I GOT IT TO WORK! reset ps3 and RESET ROUTER!! ..after doing the instructions in the first post of course... worked perfectly thanks for this thread! it was starting to get frustrating

Last edited:
After more than one month trying... Finally I got it!!! After reset all the router and PS3 settings, do all from the beginning it works!:)

Thank you guys for all the help!👍👍👍

I created a login just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have been trying to play with the "Could not establish a connection with the server" error for over a week to no avail.

Then, I came here and looked up my DNS from my router settings, and followed these instructions, and it's fixed!

Thanks again!!

Ha! You're not alone...I just did the same!! The only difference with my solution was that I had to use the secondary DNS because the primary wouldn't connect for some reason. BUT, if it had not been for this thread, I would've been completely oblivious!! THANKS!!!

I have a problem, I don't know if its similar (although I'm guessing it is,) where after 1.5 to 2 minutes a error message pops up saying GT5 can't connect to the network with an ID: 531. I'll try this to see if it fixes the problem.

With my router's IP out of the DNS list, I was able to start the game and get the "Online Agreement" popup at the start and move through the menu normally.

Could you specify as to what do you mean by Router's IP out of DNS list?

Are you referring to the Internet IP or something else? I'm getting this DNS error & put in the DNS entries which I found in my IPCONFIG!

Still no success! Kindly let me know as to where I'm going wrong as IP address has been obtained but the DNS error is in my way!

Try the public DNS servers. Google's DNS server is 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. OpenDNS's server is 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220.

I think my ISP-supplied wireless gateway's DNS server is on the fritz.

I am having the same problem

I used to be able to connect but lately the GT5 just hangs at GT5 logo screen for good 2 minutes then it tells me cannot connect to server

frustrating the hell out of me

Anyone else think it's weird that there are a lot of posts in this thread by users that have only 1 or 2 posts?

I thought at first it was just people signing up to ask this question but it does seem strange the amount of them. I certainly did not quote people on my first posts but that might of just been me...
none of the low posters have said anything since this. It is a weird one :)

Thank you sooo much! This worked perfectly.

Have been banging my head on this one for some time, it's great to be able to use the game as designed!

Thanks very much. I too had this problem. At first I tried changing the DNS servers to my router ones although that still didn't work, althoguh then I tried changing it to the OpenDNS servers given here and that worked.

Now that GT5 sees me as online, how do I actually play multiplayer, I couldn't find the option :P :ill:

Would just like to say thank you so much, been having this same problem for ages now.
I manually set my primary DNS to what it was when I configured the internet automatically, and left the secondary DNS blank.

I had friends having this online connection problems too. I'm from Malaysia and live here too. I tried this method, changing some settings manually. Of course i'm not a computer guy. A friend of my, gave me some DNS number which is similar to the method mention by the OP.
It works.. and smiley face are seen immediately.

I trust this method and it really works.

Thanks a lot.

I tried everything I got my dns server numbers and I went to DNS settings, manual and put in the numbers and left the secondary cleared and still the same problem can anyone help me?:guilty:

ooGamer
I tried everything I got my dns server numbers and I went to DNS settings, manual and put in the numbers and left the secondary cleared and still the same problem can anyone help me?:guilty:

What's the problem you are facing? Can you define it here so maybe I can help you. I will try my best to help

Back