Car drawings

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 3,547 comments
Lotus concept.png

Glossy black, metallic gold, deep lacquer red, nice. The current Lotus livery is ok, but not special. Again... not retro.

I'm nowhere near done. This will probably be one of my best illustration if I take the time. I used the car body for reference. Everything else is just estimation. I'm having problems getting the darker reflections down and making them look unified with the body. Meh, art takes patience, also, those rims will kick my ass hard.

464fe7ce53dc846e0cc7d6ea4c9ca4ad.png
For the rims I'd create the rim as you would see it from the side view of the car, then possibly add a bit of radial blur and finally adjust the perspective of it until it looks right. It shouldn't be too difficult that way.

For the rims I'd create the rim as you would see it from the side view of the car, then possibly add a bit of radial blur and finally adjust the perspective of it until it looks right. It shouldn't be too difficult that way.

I took some of your advice. I was trying to go for what was more accurate (recreating the 5-Zigen rim by itself) but I simplified it.

Here is what I have so far.

4aba6eebf66a1d9498f1f805e5914a5d.png

Remember that this still isn't done. I'm still taking my time on making sure everything adds up correctly. The tire on the left hand side of the car isn't proportioned right, and the headlights are bugging the **** out of me. Also, the interior needs more detail, and also the mirrors. It's coming along very well, though.

I was thinking about putting it in a setting of like a windy road next to a guard rail off to the side. Kind of like a story. (Car just got done being driven hard... I don't know)

I think the highlight across the bonnet is a bit straighter in the reference and the headlights are a bit darker and less saturated but it looks good so far. 👍

Mclaren MP4 29 copy.png

Quite small (done for use with Gamemaker studio) which is why the car is facing right, and has a green background.

McLaren MP4-29

Added a .zip file with both the PNG and the PSD files just in case you want them 👍

Attachments

• Mclaren MP4 29.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 12
Anyone have any tips for not smudging the paper with your hand? It annoys the hell out of my and makes my drawings look really gray.

Anyone have any tips for not smudging the paper with your hand? It annoys the hell out of my and makes my drawings look really gray.

Start drawing with pens.

Or practice going lighter with your graphite lines (assuming you're using a pencil) and/or practice not resting your pinky or hand on the paper.

image.jpg

My friend wants me do to a cartoonish F1 (2014 spec) car but hasn't a clue what he wants.

So I've done 6 nose concepts because I can't decide which one would work.

4 probably, instantly recognizable as a '14 car and because the **** part is wide it doesn't look as if it sticks out separate from the rest of the front end.

4 probably, instantly recognizable as a '14 car and because the **** part is wide it doesn't look as if it sticks out separate from the rest of the front end.
Yep, that's the one my friend chose although he does want it to be less penis-y and the bottom half be filled in.

Yesss! I've been a secret fan of Alonso for few years now and now he will drive a car that has Honda engine in it, I will openly be an Alonso-fanboy now.lol McLaren will have two of my very favourite drivers for next year!
Same, definitely. And with no pre-schoolers and 2 very brilliant hot-shoes I see great results for the team. At least I really hope to see good results...

@JujiroMatsuda You've nailed the lighting there, at first glance I thought "Why is he posting a picture?" :lol: If you blur your eyes it looks like a real on-board.

Thank you! That's a biggest compliment I had for a while:cheers: This was only meant to be quick sketch and only elaborate around his hand but I can't do one of those speed-paint thing, I gota finish thoroughly, and I ended up spending 3 days on this...

This is on one of the fastest corners on circuit of Catalunya, revving out on 5th gear, first sweeping right hander after the chicane, but look at how much steering angle he has.

Thank you! That's a biggest compliment I had for a while:cheers: This was only meant to be quick sketch and only elaborate around his hand but I can't do one of those speed-paint thing, I gota finish thoroughly, and I ended up spending 3 days on this...

This is on one of the fastest corners on circuit of Catalunya, revving out on 5th gear, first sweeping right hander after the chicane, but look at how much steering angle he has.
I instantly recognized it as T3 of Catalunya, it's an awkward corner but Fernando is beasting it. :) How did you go about creating it? Photoshop with a pen?

I instantly recognized it as T3 of Catalunya, it's an awkward corner but Fernando is beasting it. :) How did you go about creating it? Photoshop with a pen?

That's very observant of you, you must watch a lot of onboards like I do.:cheers: Yes, it's Photoshop with Wacom tablet. I'm actually practicing seriously so one day I might make my living off it.

Back