Cars with a working KERS style system (like the Nissan 2020 VGT)?

So how does it work then? I mean when and how, because I've put in a few laps with this car, mashing my nitro button, and nothing happens.
It makes it faster definitely, even if you don't notice it.

It's not very noticeable, but it does work, and the battery empties faster.
Hmm that's strange. I think its automatic in the TS030 Hybrid when the needle gets pass a certain rpm because today I took it out for a spin and everytime I pressed mid way on the throttle the battery would go empty in like 2 secs.

PD knows that hybrid systems work differently differently from machine to machine it seems, I haven't driven the TS030 myself post 1.10 however.

Last edited:
On the Nissan 2020 the KERS type system is very noticeable. At the Indy track where we drag race the drag section is about 370mtrs long. With out using the KERS type system the 2020 traps 140mph at the finish. When using the KERS type system this is increased to 150mph.
To have a 10mph increase over that distance would probably suggest a minimum 200hp+ power boost or 50nm+ of torque.

Now PD, just give us some tuning options for this car please.

On the Nissan 2020 the KERS type system is very noticeable. At the Indy track where we drag race the drag section is about 370mtrs long. With out using the KERS type system the 2020 traps 140mph at the finish. When using the KERS type system this is increased to 150mph.
To have a 10mph increase over that distance would probably suggest a minimum 200hp+ power boost or 50nm+ of torque.

Now PD, just give us some tuning options for this car please.
How did you test this tho ? I tried testing it out and pressing the button but nothing happens and the battery doesn't go empty at all. Not even a little bit.

Ring's back straight, ran two full ring laps, one with boost, one dry. With the Boost, it reached it's 337kmh limit easily, without it however, it didn't. Was also one full second faster overall.

How did you test this tho ? I tried testing it out and pressing the button but nothing happens and the battery doesn't go empty at all. Not even a little bit.

It was just a standard online lobby I made on the Indy track. I hold the Nitrous button down and accelerate. Incase you didn't try it, it's not just a matter of pressing the nitrous button you do need to hold it down.
Over the distance of the Indy drag section the battery dropped by one bar. It regenerated that 1 bar during braking.

Could it be a placebo effect?

Can't notice any difference at all

Drag racing is a very simple way to rule out any inconsistency compared to racing around a track.
For a car that is not able to be tuned to have a 10mph difference over a preset distance and with over 5 back to back runs with and without the KERS type system activated, I can guarantee you there is no placebo effect.

Just ran a test on Route X from the exact time the timer starts and ran two runs. One with and without nitrous button held down. Then took down the time it took to reach top speed. Amazing there is really a difference :).

Isn't there a little battery icon on the HUD that tells when KERS is in use?

(I wouldn't know. I haven't updated yet)

So how does it work then? I mean when and how, because I've put in a few laps with this car, mashing my nitro button, and nothing happens.
Okay, I'm guessing this is an online only thing.
Could it be a placebo effect?

Can't notice any difference at all

The KERS system only works when fuel and tyre depletion is on. So in seasonals and offline practice the car runs off battery power only.

The KERS system only works when fuel and tyre depletion is on. So in seasonals and offline practice the car runs off battery power only.

This is an interesting comment because in our drag lobbies we disable fuel and tire depletion and the KERS system still works.

for the new nissan, when battery is empty, after 6 or 7 laps on monza, the car is definitively slower
lap time increased by some seconds

This is an interesting comment because in our drag lobbies we disable fuel and tire depletion and the KERS system still works.

Perhaps KERS is a bad word to describe what is actually happening here. The system is more of a over-boost, it will deliver a boost from the battery because it is essentially a hybrid. The surge of energy that happens what you press the assigned button for nitro has no effect is what I meant.

Y'know how many cars in GT6 have a KERS boost system like the Nissan VGT?

None! (And no, the TS030 doesn't count as you have no control over when it comes.)

It is the only car in the game that has this feature.

The 'KERS' system on the 2020 VGT does work but just depends how much power is in the battery as if there is a lot, it will take longer to use. As from what I can work out the 2020 doesn't have a limit on the amount of energy it stores.

The only places where the 'KERS' will not work is on tracks that have a lot of braking areas and short straights as it keeps generating power but cant be used to its full potential. But also doesn't work when NOS is not allowed in events.

But I have also found out that if you have less than one bar of battery left it may not work (where the arrow is greyed out) due to not enough energy being collected either by braking or coasting.

Well, I've been testing this KERS myself the last 50 mins. Private online-lobby, Tire/Fuel wear on & 'grip' set to 'real'

Drags at Indy; 5 'passes' each
w/o button pressed - trap speed = ~136mph
w/ button pressed - trap speed = ~136mph
- Both runs average at about a 10-sec 1/4 mile. However despite these numbers, I swear I felt 'stronger' acceleration through 2nd gear w/ KERS-button used vs 'not used' 2nd gear. But... butt-dyno can be subjective - and w/o more reliable tests (Route X tests in GT5 for example) - I have to say there is a placebo effect or glitch/bug going on. (Maybe it only works if you don't repaint veh, for example, this is PD's game afterall)

Feel free to post proof of laptimes or data logging that say I'm wrong, however, at this point, since the game itself doesn't outline how to use the cars 'KERS' function, or that it actually has "KERS" (I see no mention of the word or system in the "Car Info" page, just 'use' of electric motors for torque-vectoring and such.) - I can't say its 'all its cracked-up to be'.

Well, I've been testing this KERS myself the last 50 mins. Private online-lobby, Tire/Fuel wear on & 'grip' set to 'real'

Drags at Indy; 5 'passes' each
w/o button pressed - trap speed = ~136mph
w/ button pressed - trap speed = ~136mph
- Both runs average at about a 10-sec 1/4 mile. However despite these numbers, I swear I felt 'stronger' acceleration through 2nd gear w/ KERS-button used vs 'not used' 2nd gear. But... butt-dyno can be subjective - and w/o more reliable tests (Route X tests in GT5 for example) - I have to say there is a placebo effect or glitch/bug going on. (Maybe it only works if you don't repaint veh, for example, this is PD's game afterall)

Feel free to post proof of laptimes or data logging that say I'm wrong, however, at this point, since the game itself doesn't outline how to use the cars 'KERS' function, or that it actually has "KERS" (I see no mention of the word or system in the "Car Info" page, just 'use' of electric motors for torque-vectoring and such.) - I can't say its 'all its cracked-up to be'.

Shift around 1000rpm lower than redline and you will crack 140mph. I can record a video of my painted 2020 doing 150mph by the shadow with working KERS type system if you'd like.

EDIT: I always drag race with Racing Soft Tires.

Last edited:
Hey, I made a quick recording just to show that the boost is there when holding the button.

The ghost was recorded using the nitrous button to boost, and the "real" car is not using it at all.

Yes I wasn't doing my best lap while recording because the screen was on my laptop which had a slight delay, but it's still pretty easy to see that KERS does boost the car more when you're holding the nitrous button.

Was driving with automatic transmission both times.

I know my 'button' does work, as when using nitrous, its clearly evident things are happening (i.e. clear change in hp/tq delivery, chassis movement, etc)

And I still say I, as a competent driver, I did not notice any clear KERS-like effect when using the assigned button, under the suggested parameters stated earlier in the thread, when testing straight-line performance only, to this point in time.

I am glad though @khkenni posted a test-video using 'ghost' replay data, as that was another test I was going to, and still will, run as part of tonight's testing on my own.

Just because I look to thoroughly test 'things' on my own for my own interest, rather than just take somebody's word on it like a 'sheep', does not mean I'm "pulling your leg" @GTSiTH. Like any other tuning-trick or customizable feature (stripes on Miatas for example), I prefer to verify it myself, that's just how it is.

There is actually one very simple way to test this 2020 KERS .

Go to Arcade Mode > Time Trial > World > Goodwood Hillclimb 2014.

Select the car you want to test , set TCS1 and transmission Automatic.

Use a controller
, start the time trial holding max throttle (and N2O/KERS) from black screen.

100% stock , SS tyres no oil 615PP
T1 4.943 without KERS
T1 4.889 with KERS

Back