Cars with unusual traits

• Thread starter Catlin
  • 971 comments
One of the standard elises (don't know which) has a light over the rear license plate that turns on when you flash your headlights. Not sure if any other ones do it as well.

The Audi R8 with the V8 does this too.^

One of the Lexus SC430 Super GT cars has a night vision camera in the dash as a rear view mirror.

I like the sound of that. Which one is it?

Driving the old Jaguar XJ113 now, 1st gear is positioned where 2nd normally is, 2nd through 5th gear in H pattern from there. also gives best view of the engine with heat haze when looking back from cockpit view (almost makes me want to race in reverse :dopey:)

jtv90069

Driving the old Jaguar XJ113 now, 1st gear is positioned where 2nd normally is, 2nd through 5th gear in H pattern from there. also gives best view of the engine with heat haze when looking back from cockpit view (almost makes me want to race in reverse :dopey:)

This is called a dog-leg gearbox. Quite a few cars in the game would have this if we could see the interiors.

This feature keeps 1st out of the way which is only really used for pulling away in the pits or at the start.

Speaking of the unusual, certain Evos feel really unnatural with their AYC tuned to high levels. Unusual? Yes good sir.

Yeah, never liked the way AYC feels in GT5, I was so much happier when PD patched Customizable LSD back in Evo's, which for some reason was glitched and doesn't appear as an option in the tuning menu.

As do loads of (mainly older) cars. It's hardly a unusual trait.

Except that this car is FWD and the leafs are in the back while the front gets coil springs suspension.

On another note, the most unusual trait of all the car in the game is the standard equipment that came in the Isuzu 4200R. It got a FAX MACHINE!!! :lol:

IMO, the 2J has some unusual traits, hence it was banned after just 1 season.
3 speed semi auto gearbox, a fan to suck air in.
Handles pretty decent too for a 40 year old racecar.

The fan is there to suck it to the ground. If memory serves me, they stuck a snowmobile engine in the back to run the thing... it's essentially an X1 and is easily the highest performing car compared to others in it's pp range (because of how pp is determined, it hasn't received the generous PD treatment). Mine is dialed in and can run Spa in the same time (or less) as most LM and Group C cars.

Im pretty sure the GT-R's were doctored from the very start.

Yes, they are. In stock trim they're accurate, with a new set of tires they're awarded a much larger grip increase compared to other vehicles. No, it's not due to the driving aids available in the GT-R, as Quattro-equipped Audi cars would get a similarly large advantage.

As for power, it appears the Kaz's Nürburgring GT-R also has ambitious physics. I just set both a Veyron and the GT-R to 600hp, 1505kg, and the same gearing (top speed would be the same in sixth gear, you can't match number because of different RPM, and you can't simply set the top speed because they each have a different number of gears) and ran them on a measured section of the TG Test Track. The Veyron had a 347 ft-lb torque advantage, seamless shifting, and no drag from downforce. It didn't win by more than half a second. The finish line was the thick white line before Hammerhead corner, at which point I slammed on the brakes for both cars. The GT-R stopped four tire barriers before the wall, the Veyron stopped just inches before.

Last edited:
Well when i was doing the 24 hour sarthe endurance race on a-spec in my colour x1 I noticed that there was one spot where I could park and the whole car light up as if it was electrocuted

Catlin

I don't really know what happened but on the straight just before the second chicane my x1 just flashed for less that a second so I went back to that spot and parked there and the car had a white outline

I don't really know what happened but on the straight just before the second chicane my x1 just flashed for less that a second so I went back to that spot and parked there and the car had a white outline

Every car gets that, don't know what that is, looks like a flash from a photo camera when you quickly pass it. :D

The Amuse Carbon R (R34) has no headlights
picture.php

MasterFocus
The HKS Lancer too

Neither do the NASCARs

But the reason why the amuse and the hks don't is because they are both (what i assume are anyway) time attack cars, which don't need headlights to save weight.

And while I'm at it, neither the 2J or the Toyota 7 do

Last edited:
Not sure if the X2011 does this, but when you run off course in a X2010, the fan in it's rear blows out dirt from it sucking up the ground.

Does the 2J do this as well?

Not sure if the X2011 does this, but when you run off course in a X2010, the fan in it's rear blows out dirt from it sucking up the ground.

Does the 2J do this as well?
That would have required effort expended on PD's part, so no.

Driving the old Jaguar XJ113 now, 1st gear is positioned where 2nd normally is, 2nd through 5th gear in H pattern from there.

That's a feature called "Dogleg gears". It's a racing car feature that was in VERY few road cars. It was for racing in real life where on the track realistically you'd never use first gear aside from take off, so they put 2-5 in the H pattern.

I learned this from Top Gear on an episode where they bought old cars. May had a Mercedes with dog leg gears and he kept putting it in reverse thinking it would be first and hitting the Hammond behind him.

LarryL
That's a feature called "Dogleg gears". It's a racing car feature that was in VERY few road cars. It was for racing in real life where on the track realistically you'd never use first gear aside from take off, so they put 2-5 in the H pattern.

I learned this from Top Gear on an episode where they bought old cars. May had a Mercedes with dog leg gears and he kept putting it in reverse thinking it would be first and hitting the Hammond behind him.

The Porsche 928 had a dogleg Gearbox.

Neither do the NASCARs

But the reason why the amuse and the hks don't is because they are both (what i assume are anyway) time attack cars, which don't need headlights to save weight.

And while I'm at it, neither the 2J or the Toyota 7 do

The M3 GTR Race Car has headlights but they don't work. Well... at least for me they don't. I've never asked anyone else if there's did or did not.

The Porsche 928 had a dogleg Gearbox.

How are we forgetting Top Gear on this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG1K-1Zq290

Back