Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo REVEALED!

• Thread starter ZedMan1996
  • 996 comments

ZedMan1996

(Banned)
United Kingdom
South East
ZedMan1996

Posted Thursday 20th November 03:22 GMT:

"
Chevrolet has just revealed their full scale model of the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo Concept during their press conference at the LA Auto Show! For full details on the car and more follow this link:http://bit.ly/ChapVGTwrld"

On the Gran Turismo Website:

"On the 19th of November, in advance of the US Los Angeles Auto Show, Chevrolet has unveiled the full scale model of its Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo. The car which goes far beyond the boundaries of modern day automobiles will appear in the PlayStation®3-exclusive software "Gran Turismo 6" in an update planned for the holiday season, where players around the world can experience the unique drive feel of this revolutionary car.

Chaparral has produced ground breaking racing cars that have revolutionised motorsports. The Texas based company had formed a partnership with Chevrolet Research and Development more than 45 years ago, pioneering now-standard methods and materials used in contemporary racing and production vehicles. In addition to things like composite monocoque chassis, lightweight-alloy powertrain systems, automatic transmissions for racing and progressive, active aerodynamics, the partnership also spawned ground-breaking telemetry vehicle data acquisition technology. Chevrolet continues to use racing programs to test and develop new technologies and materials.

The highlight of the Chevrolet Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo which inherits this spirit of revolution, is in its styling and powertrain. The power supply selected for this car is a unprecedented laser propulsion system. The laser beam unit mounted central to the car produces a laser beam pulse which strikes a focusing shroud, and the resulting shockwave produces the thrust which propels this extremely light racing car. With a 671 kW laser and air powered generator, this car rises to a top speed of 384 km/h(240 mph and accelerates from 0-60 mph in 1.5 seconds.

This unprecedented drive unit is also closely associated with the unique driver position in the car. The driver almost lays completely flat towards the front, with all four of his appendages spread out towards the wheels when driving this car. The laser propulsion system and the suspension unit is laid out to match this driver position, and enables the futuristic active aerodynamics control.

Because the aerodynamics of this car can be controlled in the direction of the shockwave released, it does not require a large rear wing. as a result the body of the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo was possible to make extremely light. The information display system of the car itself is also minimal; instrument displays of the car is directly projected inside the driver's helmet visor.

“The Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo is an audacious and ambitious vision – and one that demonstrates to a new audience how Chevy’s engineering and design teams challenge norms and explore the technologies of tomorrow,” said Clay Dean, Executive Director of advanced design. “It also an ode to a unique partnership that pioneered ground-breaking technologies that are in used today, on the track and the street.”

Meanwhile, Frank Saucedo who oversaw the team that worked on the concept said this about the car: “It was created in a no-rules atmosphere to challenge designers and test engineers to deliver the most exhilarating sensations. Like the original Chaparral race cars decades ago, the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo weaves advanced aerospace technologies into the design to help achieve its incredible performance. Think of it as a fusion of a wing suit gliding through the skies with a racing car. As a pilot controls the membrane between his hands and feet in a wing suit, the driver controls the aerodynamics of this car. In all respects, the Chaparral 2X is a "Racing Wingsuit” that flies barely above the ground.

The full scale model of the Chevrolet Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo will be on displayed at the Los Angeles Auto Show held at the LA Convention centre until the 30th of November."

10005915_10154818405500048_5148325368854065438_o.jpg

i13tuCgjbgwKgb.jpg
i13mqXofWnf1az.jpg
i1ww3aBTFL3kpG.jpg
i1ZF6HxtyMfkz.jpg
i1024YAGvfSmO.jpg

i1pC03lr6F3wtW.jpg

Posted Monday 10th November 16:23 GMT:

"When you combine the passion of the video gamer community with the passion of Corvette fans, you get the surprise we have in store for you in a few days. Stay tuned. (Gran Turismo 6: TM & ©2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Developed by Polyphony Digital Inc.)"

https://www.facebook.com/corvette/p...158166.138420362237/10152890311517238/?type=1

@Jordan

1899350_10152890311517238_4904875849836469901_o.jpg

Attachments

• i1500kF0qPu1dW.jpg
    i1500kF0qPu1dW.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Fighter jet wings or fins? :odd:

And yeah, that looks so complicated it's hard to figure out what it actually is

That has to be one of the most mysterious teasers ever since Hyundai showed theirs. I am quite interested in this; wonder if it will really be the modern take on the original open cockpit Corvette Stingray Concept. And this also confirms that GM Design choose the Corvette badge to promote the car, I thought they would choose other brand (such as Cadillac or Buick).

As with the Aston Martin teaser, I can't make heads or tails of anything in the image. Looks like PD are pushing quite a few things through for their 1st anniversary of launch though, so that's good.

It's probably being modelled after the classic stingray race car (as people already Pointed out) Mercedes did it with their vgt and Bmw and their retro touring car vgt. Just a thought is all

They gave us such a vague teaser shot.. Even with this editing job it's pretty much showing nothing. Keeps it a bit suspenseful though. Thanks for making it clearer.

From what I can tell that object with the red chevy logo is a modern roll cage over the passengers side. On the right is the back of the drivers seat and the drivers helmet in front. It also looks like the back of the seat has a piston connected to the roll bar. Other than that it's hard to tell much else.

Edit: In front of the helmet the windshield also seems to curve just so that is is covering the driver and not the whole way across. See how it slopes to the left? Interesting how they have the windshield on the right and the roll cage (maybe spoiler) on the left. I assume this will be some sort of arrow dynamic feature of the car. Only thing that doesn't make sense is if it is a helmet on the right then it would be right hand drive which doesn't really make sense since Chevy is from US where they use right hand drive.

Last edited:
In the past seven days we've had the announcement of PD recruiting a wide variety of staff members, the M4 safety car coming to GT6, Gran Turismo sponsoring Pikes Peak, a teaser of the Subaru VIZIV VGT, the awarding of the GT trophy to a Camaro touring car, and a teaser of the Corvette VGT. In terms of communications PD's busiest week yet perhaps.

Last edited:
From what I can tell that object with the red chevy logo is a modern roll cage over the passengers side. On the right is the back of the drivers seat and the drivers helmet in front. It also looks like the back of the seat has a piston connected to the roll bar. Other than that it's hard to tell much else.

You already managed to find out more things than I could, haha. Wonder why did use the Chevy Bowtie logo. Shouldn't they use the Corvette badge?

Makes sense, I think. I was under the impression that Corvette was a seperate brand...

So, promote the Chevy brand, since that the Corvette is part of their brand?
Corvette is just one car. It's still under the Chevy brand. Putting the Chevy logo promotes the Corvette, Camaro, all the trucks, everything. It probably has the Vette logos on front and back, but Chevy logo just in that one spot.

I think it's going to be a modern take on the 1959 Sting race car. They look pretty similar already.

aCmIYXb.png

ACT3FFg.jpg

b2l9zMP.jpg

Corvette is just one car. It's still under the Chevy brand. Putting the Chevy logo promotes the Corvette, Camaro, all the trucks, everything. It probably has the Vette logos on front and back, but Chevy logo just in that one spot.

I think it's going to be a modern take on the 1959 Sting race car. They look pretty similar already.

b2l9zMP.jpg

That clarifies my doubts, thanks for that. :)

And I have to agree with you on the second point; judging by the fact that (apparently) the car has an open cockpit, and the fact it is based on the new Corvette C7, it could be the modern take on the car you showed. I am really curious to see how will this car turn out...:confused:

aCmIYXb.png

ACT3FFg.jpg

b2l9zMP.jpg
Umm. That car exists on GT6 you know?

And yes, this will be the C7 version of that. Or the Mako Shark which is largely the same.

Anyway point is, 3 VGT in an update? Im sold!

Umm. That car exists on GT6 you know?

And yes, this will be the C7 version of that. Or the Mako Shark which is largely the same.

Anyway point is, 3 VGT in an update? Im sold!
I know that's why I said modern take on it.

I should also add that there is no explicitly Chevrolet badge on the VGT list. It will be a GM Design VGT. In other words this is technically not Chevrolet's car, but the GM Design one. (Cadilac Cien should also considered that if PD cared even further)

Reference image:
i16tsO4xOUmTOO.jpg

I should also add that there is no explicitly Chevrolet badge on the VGT list. It will be a GM Design VGT. In other words this is technically not Chevrolet's car, but the GM Design one. (Cadilac Cien should also considered that if PD cared even further)

Reference image:
i16tsO4xOUmTOO.jpg

Indeed, it just means GM picked the Chevrolet\Corvette brand to add a clear identity (or to promote Chevy\Corvette even more, considering that most of GT6's new GM additions are Chevrolet cars) to the car.

I was wondering how this new teaser collocates with the old one; that arc above the main line makes the car look like it has a closed roof. I know I should not totally trust these old teasers, but it is interesting.

Indeed, it just means GM picked the Chevrolet\Corvette brand to add a clear identity (or to promote Chevy\Corvette even more, considering that most of GT6's new GM additions are Chevrolet cars) to the car.

I was wondering how this new teaser collocates with the old one; that arc above the main line makes the car look like it has a closed roof. I know I should not totally trust these old teasers, but it is interesting.
BMW and several others also did the same I think.

The old teaser really looks generic. I literally see the Isuzu 4200R on that :D

Latest Posts

Back