Classic NASCAR Racing

United States
Port Washington
GTP_skeeter23
Out of boredom I've decided to start setting up some "classic" NASCAR rides and perhaps even start a little mini series with some friends.

The problem, is that I can't tune them worth a darn and can't find any tunes for these cars that aren't drag oriented. I had the SB running 44s @daytona but it was scary. Indy I can't get it to turn at all unless it's 4 wheel sliding or under 140mph. I know they're way too low right now but I'm also trying to retain a bit of the old NASCAR ride height (at least what looks like it :boggled:) Running RH tires right now.

20140825_224648.jpg

Anybody interested in helping me put together a base tune nudge in the right direction? Anyone interested in doing some "classic" NASCAR racing?

Looks like there is in fact a base tune out there for the SB... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/i-want-to-recreate-pettys-superbird.295802/#post-9185254 thanks to @DaBomm4 :cheers: It's just too bad I had to find it via Google instead of the GTP search :( Also looks like a better color is French Blue via the Lotus Elan thanks to @Jahgee1124 or French Blue from the Triumph thanks to @Jbaffoh in the Paint Colors thread 👍 Also looks like I have WAY too much power built into the SB so that was good to find.

So, now, the question remains to see if anyone is interested in some races using these cars... (it would likely be a little way off yet though)

I'll also need to setup a few other cars for a bit of a varied field. Probably the Roadrunner will be next :sly:

Last edited:
Worked on a few more tonight. Just to have a target I picked an "approximate" middle of the road laptime of 46.6xx at Daytona.

So far I have the '70 Superbird, '71 Superbee, '87 Buick GNX, '71 Mach 1 Mustang, and '70 Chevelle SS (not listed) all running consistent 46.600-46.700. (I have added just a touch of weight to the SB and Buick to bring them exactly in line with the others, you can see I already tweaked the Super Bee below)

20140826_200723.jpg

I put the Mustang and Chevelle in a surrogates for Torino and Monte Carlo.

I cannot even pretend that these cars are replicas by any means but they're old, look cool, and are quick enough to provide some pretty good racing IMO.

I'll try to post some pics of the cars tomorrow and maybe the specs if there is interest... right now I'd be happy with even just organizing a photo cruise with multiple cars on track...

Worked on a few more tonight. Just to have a target I picked an "approximate" middle of the road laptime of 46.6xx at Daytona.

So far I have the '70 Superbird, '71 Superbee, '87 Buick GNX, '71 Mach 1 Mustang, and '70 Chevelle SS (not listed) all running consistent 46.600-46.700. (I have added just a touch of weight to the SB and Buick to bring them exactly in line with the others, you can see I already tweaked the Super Bee below)

View attachment 212337

I put the Mustang and Chevelle in a surrogates for Torino and Monte Carlo.

I cannot even pretend that these cars are replicas by any means but they're old, look cool, and are quick enough to provide some pretty good racing IMO.

I'll try to post some pics of the cars tomorrow and maybe the specs if there is interest... right now I'd be happy with even just organizing a photo cruise with multiple cars on track...
I've got a Nova that goes around Daytona in 44ish seconds (I think, I'll have to check later. At any rate, it's in the mid to low 40s.) Then again, I have it set up so that it meets modern NASCAR specs.

Could be interested, what day & time (+timezone) are you thinking of running these races, also how long a race are you thinking!!! Not sure I could fit in a full Nascar race.

Cheers

I've got a Nova that goes around Daytona in 44ish seconds (I think, I'll have to check later. At any rate, it's in the mid to low 40s.) Then again, I have it set up so that it meets modern NASCAR specs.
Ya I have some that'll run low 43's as well but it's not very realistic to the old cars. So I tried to find a common ground run time that just barely hits 197mph entering turns 1 and 4 (which is possibly already a touch too fast). So I guess this idea is starting to lead to some sort of SPEC event.
Could be interested, what day & time (+timezone) are you thinking of running these races, also how long a race are you thinking!!! Not sure I could fit in a full Nascar race.
Cheers
I am in Central time zone US (I think it's like 6hrs behind you). These would likely be on a Wednesday evening and maybe idk so 30 lap "feature sprints"?

The Superbird was the first NASCAR vehicle to hit 200mph. They also ran on bias-ply tires so Racing compounds in GT6 are too grippy. I'd even say Sports tires are too much as well.

The Superbird was the first NASCAR vehicle to hit 200mph. They also ran on bias-ply tires so Racing compounds in GT6 are too grippy. I'd even say Sports tires are too much as well.
That is true but I'm not going for total realism here. I'm looking for something that can provide some tight racing in old cars at approximately a somewhat correct speed (total guess) without the feild crashing every lap.

Also does anyone know of the SB did that solo or in a draft?

Looks like there is in fact a base tune out there for the SB... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/i-want-to-recreate-pettys-superbird.295802/#post-9185254 thanks to @DaBomm4 :cheers: It's just too bad I had to find it via Google instead of the GTP search :( Also looks like a better color is French Blue via the Lotus Elan thanks to @Jahgee1124 or French Blue from the Triumph thanks to @Jbaffoh in the Paint Colors thread 👍 Also looks like I have WAY too much power built into the SB so that was good to find.

So, now, the question remains to see if anyone is interested in some races using these cars... (it would likely be a little way off yet though)

I'll also need to setup a few other cars for a bit of a varied field. Probably the Roadrunner will be next :sly:
For the record "Petty blue" on the superbird was a light French Blue, you can also try the Jaguar French Racing Blue. The issue with these cars is lack of downforce, but they can be fun. The Grand National is also a Turbo V6 and not a V8, not quite the horses under the hood.

For the record "Petty blue" on the superbird was a light French Blue, you can also try the Jaguar French Racing Blue. The issue with these cars is lack of downforce, but they can be fun. The Grand National is also a Turbo V6 and not a V8, not quite the horses under the hood.
Right. Changed it to the light FB the other day, much better.

No downforce, yup totally.

Right V6, I had to crank it way up to get close to the levels of the other cars and tone the more powerful ones down a bit. I actually think the Buick may be my favorite to drive out of them all. The Chevelle was really weird and almost made me wonder if it had some modelled drag. The power is easily 200hp above the others to keep up while weight and gearing is comparable. By far the hardest to 'normalize' to the others.

I'm probably a couple years too late to comment, but I would be interested in getting a series going with these cars if you're still interested

Back