Companion app for better HUD - Smartphone and Tablet support (UPDATED with images inside)

• Thread starter Snake17x
  • 19 comments
Italy
Italy
Snake17x
In GT6 the HUD is composed by the same elements of GT5. But other SIM RACING have an HUD more complex. There you can see many information about the race: gap from previous and next pilots (and not only from the first like in GT6), ambient temperature, track temperature, fuel used per lap, engine's healt, tires pressure, braking force, ecc.

You think that is possible that one day we can use smartphone and tablet how it used in MGSV: Ground Zeroes companion app to see all the information that we need to know? Is a features that can be implemented with a patch, or we must wait the next GRAN TURISMO?

Racing in GT6 without the HUD is a beutifull experience, but some information are essential. Showing it on the monitor is our only one opportunity NOW, but this can change in future...

At your disposal for any clarification. Thanks.

EDIT: Here some images that i made to show how i think this feature must be:

c3796d5a70faa0428c453db766c149cd.jpg

95e1cac5e2ac5d0392fd23d24032a22f.jpg

This concept about the main menù of companion app, is made by Scuderia Paul:

AWYxAdC.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, something like this that have an option that permit you to show a CUSTOM HUD on your own device.

I tried to make a graphic simulation, but I used the HUD from GT5. Sorry for low quality, I made this with a smartphone app. :D
You made that on a smartphone app? Very impressive @Snake17x. I like your idea and if it were to happen the Vita would be perfect to link to for GT7 on PS4.

You made that on a smartphone app? Very impressive @Snake17x. I like your idea and if it were to happen the Vita would be perfect to link to for GT7 on PS4.

Yhea, compatibility with PS Vita would be great, but i think that Smartphone e Tablet have the priority because are most common.

This could be a neat addition, but distracting at the same time. However, having a current timing list would be amazing!

It would be nice but please also have car's odometer which we don't even have on screen. Not sure how hard it will be to implement without sacrificing both network bandwidth and hardware resources which there's so much more that PD should be prioritising for the core game mechanics like fixing the sounds to start off with.

It would be nice but please also have car's odometer which we don't even have on screen. Not sure how hard it will be to implement without sacrificing both network bandwidth and hardware resources which there's so much more that PD should be prioritising for the core game mechanics like fixing the sounds to start off with.
The apps are already available for other games. All it would take is some outsourcing to existing app makers, give them the specs or protocols or whatever it is they need and it could probably be done in very little time, at no manpower cost to PD and probably little financial cost to them as well. It could even be done on spec, someone could be approved to design the app for the game but it's available as a download for those that want it for a small fee. This is part of the future of Sim Racing I think, and technological integration is the wave of the future. PD can choose to lead, follow or not get on the ride to begin with.

The apps are already available for other games. All it would take is some outsourcing to existing app makers, give them the specs or protocols or whatever it is they need and it could probably be done in very little time, at no manpower cost to PD and probably little financial cost to them as well. It could even be done on spec, someone could be approved to design the app for the game but it's available as a download for those that want it for a small fee. This is part of the future of Sim Racing I think, and technological integration is the wave of the future. PD can choose to lead, follow or not get on the ride to begin with.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for innovation and better support for peripherals integration even support for motion sim rigs too of course until the day the prices comes down to a point which is accessible to the general populous. I would love to have REV lights on this external HUD display.

I couldn't agree more that it's not hard to implement. A companion app is a great idea for HUD display or what not. But the fact is there are so much more that PD should be doing or focusing on the game immersion first. FFB for instance can benefit improvements first as I assume that people who want external HUD display are those who owns a racing wheel. I was so disappointed that PS4 isn't even capable of 4K. Otherwise we don't need multiple copies of the console and game to be able to have multi-display support that can drive 3 displays @ 1080p.

At the end of the day, PD also needs to get Sony's blessings for more I/O data communications on it's consoles and OS. I think that there are limitations/restrictions on I/O available for both PS3/4 platforms via WiFi or USB. If it's not I/O restrictions they should really outsource and then talk to the guys for integration who already created such apps for PC sims. Otherwise if we wait for PD to develop this, it'll be 2022 lol :lol:

Last edited:
Not more distracting than the normal HUD.
Also i think that the new hud on smartphone and tablet can show the TIRE'S TEMPERATURE in celsius or fahrenheit and not using color, how now.
The app mockup better include a GPS course maker otherwise PD might forget to implement this when they copy your design :lol:

As a triple screen GT6 user, I think this is a freaking awesome Idea! Great job on the mock-ups too 👍

Edit: The more customisation the better. It'd be great to have (for example) just the tachometer, current position, tyre & fuel status, track map & laps to go displayed.

Last edited:
As a triple screen GT6 user, I think this is a freaking awesome Idea! Great job on the mock-ups too 👍

Edit: The more customisation the better. It'd be great to have (for example) just the tachometer, current position, tyre & fuel status, track map & laps to go displayed.

Yhea the idea is this: have better customization for the HUD (not only on Companion App, but also on PS3)

Latest Posts

Back