fd

iRacing basic training

Sim Racing 101

Like any other genre, it appeals to certain players, and those players tend to know what they're getting into. I myself have been playing the Gran Turismo series since it first released back in 1998, I was 7 at the time. I don't feel like I need anything of the sort, but it's nice to learn about how a game works and what you can and can't do within it.

I've always felt the license tests in the GT series have been tutorials. I've always approached them like I was learning something for the first time. Any of the tests may be something that I have been doing for years, but it's nice to know that someone else may be learning that for the first time.

Other than the two examples Azure Flare provided, GT6 gave a basic tutorial at the start of the game, older games have these too, such as Richard Burns Rally - I think MX-GP also had a tutorial that you could go back an do whenever you wanted.
You have arcade mode in most games to practise in, following the suggestions provided in the tutorials will help you. GT has a paragraph of tips for each seasonal race - try applying those in arcade also. Finally, it's all about learning the track in different cars, knowing the brake-points, how to keep your speed through tricky corners and where it's safe to overtake. These things unfortunately take time, but can be very rewarding to master.

Brake, then down shift. When doing so, go down to the gear that is needed to get the best acceleration for the corner exit.

Like Azure Flare says (again) drop to the gear indicated at least until you are comfortable with tackling it in a higher gear, because some corners you can do that. I would also ensure that the suggested gear indicator isn't flashing, if it is then you are still going too fast for the angle you are taking.

Another thing to bear in mind is aiming for and hitting the corner's apex - this is the optimal route through and can become tricky with corners that have double apexes. In GT6 you can download pretty much anyone's replay from the leaderboard and by selecting the driving view you prefer whilst watching the replay, you can get tips on what to do and when. Bear in mind though that quite a few players use steering wheels and not controllers, so check that first before downloading.

If that sounds like something for you, then pick a replay near your place on the list and aim to beat that - see where they go wrong and learn how you can improve your own approach. It'd be better that way than picking the top times, because that would be just too depressing an obstacle to face.

Thanks guys, the hting is i'm not sure when a gear is good to use. Usually coming up to a corner i will break, take the gas of quickly shift down from 3-2 then go back to 1 if i am slow, is that ok?

What game would be good to practice on, i have g27
Personally, I like GT6 as the physics feel is really quite good - if you have a gaming PC though, there are more options available to you.

As for the gear change, like I say, GT6 and any number of games will tell you when to shift down - up though is best done by ear, or when the rev-counter starts red-lining.

It takes a long, long time and a lot of practice to get good. I've been using sims since 2011 and my race craft is still horrible but if it's just me on my own I can put in some mediocre to ok lap times. In a race I'm often half a second off the pace because I don't deal with pressure and stress very well...

As for gearing, it helps to know the car you're driving and the different gear speeds so if you're coming out of a 40mph corner you'd want the gear after the one that is practically redlining after 40mph. But as I said, it's all practice, you will get to a point where you'll know the car and track well enough to do this without thinking. That's the easy part, though.

As for what sim is best to practice on, it's best to use whatever you will use most. If your racing friends all have Assetto Corsa it would be best to use that rather than, say, iRacing

Because most guy think they car drive or race a car.:P

Years ago, Toca race driver had an ingame tutorial with the voice of Tiff Needle. Richard Burns rally also has an extensive tutorial.

There are some tutorials if you look, they probably aren't called that though. Try searching with different terms.

Look at old GT manuals, they had quite a lot of info on different driving techniques that could be considered a tutorial. I would also argue the license test, real and made up driver aids also served as a tutorial. Career mode progresses along in way that's meant to build up from slow to fast.

But the main thing is these are simulations, so tutorials or books about real racing applies, and there's tons of material on the real thing.

There was a series not so long ago called Shakedown University that I enjoyed, check them out here

Last edited:
Just like any game, if you want to be one of the fastest guys, you'll need to practice and practice on the specific game you're trying to achieve that on, if you go around playing different games you'll get good and gain a lot of experience but you won't shine in neither of them.

Thanks guys, the hting is i'm not sure when a gear is good to use. Usually coming up to a corner i will break, take the gas of quickly shift down from 3-2 then go back to 1 if i am slow, is that ok?

What game would be good to practice on, i have g27

Watch some onboard videos of racing, maybe you can learn more from that. Replicate their driving and make it your own.

The correct gear to be in before a corner is the gear which let you accelerate the hardest out of a corner. Most of the times this will be in high revs, though you have to think about how long you can accelerate in that gear. Sometimes it's better to go a gear higher, because if you can only climb 2-300 rpm and then have to shift you will be slower than already being in that higher gear. Also when your tires are wasted (or in the wet) short shifting will result in a more stabilized car.

Though I see racing as math, you get it or you don't.. You can practice on being the fastest all the time but if you can't overtake or defend, sim racing will be very hard.

Good luck 👍

Back