Convertible cars

• Thread starter motortrend
  • 50 comments
I'm pretty sure we'll get the option to choose whether we want the roof up or down (as we've seen the Ferrari california with the roof up and down in GT5P)

My question is, we know we'll probably have dynamic weather, so what if it rains?

Yes, and when it rained, you got wet! :P
Convertibles are not the same as open-top cars. ;)

Also, I watched an episode of Best Motoring International where a slew of convertibles were tested around Tsukuba, and all of them were faster with the top down. :crazy:

You don't get enough speed at Tsukuba for the aerodynamics to hinder the performance?

You don't get enough speed at Tsukuba for the aerodynamics to hinder the performance?

Apparently so! This comes after Gan-San complained about having to race an S2000 with the top down against the 350Z et al. (a good watch in itself).

There was mention of centre of gravity, it ends up lower and more rearward (relatively speaking) so it might help traction out of corners? That's at odds with a potentially floppier chassis, though, and the video didn't show the actual differences in lap time with the top up or down, so it might have been insignificant (itself a small miracle).

If we do get the choice, the above had better come into play :P

Where are these vids? Youtube?

Yes, but no. I can't find the convertible one now. :grumpy:
It might have been removed, but these were the cars:
SLK55 vs 350Z vs S2000 vs BMW Z4 vs Crossfire vs Boxster S

The other one I was referring to, where Gan-San mentions the roof at the start, was the 350Z impressions / battle:
350Z vs. S2000 vs. Boxster vs. M3 vs. R34 GTR ("special camera car")

That's now only on Dailymotion (adverts)

It seems there's a crackdown on BMI on Youtube...

EDIT: here's one it might have been, as found here.

yeah it would be real great if we could choose in the garage or the pop up before racing but i never heard anything about it. i doubt that you can choose even for premium cars.

I doubt it but I would like to see it. On GT 4 there was at least one case where you could drive with the top down. I used to take the 54 Vette out in the capri rally and on the replay it shows the top down though the driver is still wearing a helmet. I tried a few others and all of the rag tops ran with the top down in that event.

IF they do have convertible cars, there should be an in-game popup before each race in the convertible saying:

Dear Driver,

Please turn around your PS3 console so that the heat fan at the rear is facing towards you.

-PD

That way you could have a warm breeze blowing through your hair as you drive through the streets of Monaco ;)

IF they do have convertible cars, there should be an in-game popup before each race in the convertible saying:

Dear Driver,

Please turn around your PS3 console so that the heat fan at the rear is facing towards you.

-PD

That way you could have a warm breeze blowing through your hair as you drive through the streets of Monaco ;)

I've seen those USB dashboards with working speedometers. Now if only you had an electric fan that can be connected to your computer. The higher the speedometer, the faster the electric fan blows air through your face.

I've seen those USB dashboards with working speedometers. Now if only you had an electric fan that can be connected to your computer. The higher the speedometer, the faster the electric fan blows air through your face.

Hahahahaha yeah! How about playing GT5 in the bathroom under the shower, and hook up the shower, the heat light, AND the fan?!?!

Shower could turn on automatically for rain, heat light for sun, and fan for wind/high speeds.

It would be kinda weird playing GT in the shower cubicle though... :odd:

True, but I've never seen a 427 Shelby Cobra with a solid roof.

0611kc_05_z+shelby_cobra_replicar+front_right.jpg

-> I'm all for Convertibles/Cabriolets/Roadsters/Speedsters:

4141_1013972606412_1737980160_23612_2064628_n.jpg

^ I don't see much of a problem in my opinion. :sly:

i doubt that PD will make us see the top getting down. i dont even believe there will be an option. i guess for some events its down for some not.

Back