CORE Group C Championship: Completed, Results Up. Congratulations to Pluxtheduck and Gadget333

• Thread starter jonnyb1990
  • 380 comments
United Kingdom
Coventry
jonnyb1990
j1of.jpg

Welcome to the Group C monthly endurance championship. Working in conjunction with Memto’s WEC series, this championship aims to bridge the gap between WEC Season 2 and Season 3 beginning in March 2014. For those of you who do not already know of the series, we invite you to join the facebook group to chat to the wider racing community and ensure you don’t miss any information. We are also recruiting for WEC Season 3, the pinnacle of multi-class racing on GTPlanet.

Note: this championship will now run on GT6 for the remaining two events.

ka2f.jpg

*Based upon specifications of GTPlanet's WEC and WEC Rising Star Series​

The Championship will comprise of a single class consisting of four manufacturers each entering up to four cars per race, drivers will compete for overall position as well as contributing to a manufacturers championship, introducing an element of team racing.

The Cars used will be as follows:

4lz9.jpg

Modifications - Turbo 3​

evxl.jpg

Modifications - Default Turbo​

8o2v.jpg

b562.jpg

Please ensure that all of your cars have been run in and are running the correct level of turbocharger.

A specification check will be conducted before qualifying commences for each round. If a driver returns to the settings menu after their car has been checked they will be disqualified from qualifying and sent to the back of the grid. Their car will then be rechecked once qualifying has finished and if they enter the settings menu a second time they will be disqualified from the race.

Tyres:

Racing Softs

Wet Weather when appropriate

Room settings:

Location – jonnyb1990’s Lounge

Race Quality - High

Room Format - Practice, Qualifying, Race

Tyre Wear – Normal

Slip Stream – Real

Grip Reduction – Real

Visible Damage – Off

Damage – Heavy

ABS – 1 (Maximum)

TCS – 3 (Maximum)

Driving Line allowed

Active Stability Management – Off

Active Steering – Off

Skid Recovery Force – Off

Calendar:

24oc.jpg

Configuration - Road Course

5gg2.jpg

Configuration - Circuit De Le Sarthe 2005 (No Chicanes)

wlpt.jpg

Configuration - Nordschleife - Change Weather/Time​

Event Information:

In the week leading up to an event, a drivers briefing will be posted both in the thread and on the OP. The briefing will contain important information such as lap count, weather conditions and use of pit lines; as well as sign-ups for the round and a description of track limits where appropriate. Please note ignorance to the information stated in these briefings will not be grounds for stewarding appeal.

Each event will consist of an optional 30 minute warm up, followed by a 20 minute qualifying session and a 2 hour race.

Schedule:

21h00 GMT – Room opens for Free Practice.

21h30 GMT – Specification Check will commence, all drivers are expected to be in the room with cars ready, any driver arriving after spec check has commenced will be penalised.

21h35 GMT - Specification Check is completed. Drivers now have 5 minutes before qualifying starts to prepare. Qualifying opens once this is complete. All headsets turned off and drivers must not use the text box.

21h40 GMT - Qualifying starts, it will be run in the 'race alone' mode to avoid unfair disadvantage. Please be aware that once qualifying has finished there is no gap before the race start so drivers will have to manage their time accordingly.

22h00 GMT - Race is started.

Start Procedure:

From the grid, the field will arrange themselves into the order described in the textbox and proceed single file around the lap at approximately 80-100mph (130-160km/h).

Before the final turn, the leader will slow to 50mph (80km/h) and the field will form into staggered double file and continue at this speed.

Once they have reached the grid marks, the leader is permitted to start the race when he chooses by accelerating, at this point the race is green (a steward will also call green via headset once he sees this to improve clarity).

If the lead car fails to go green before the start/finish line, or exceeds 65mph (105km/h), the race is green and other cars may pass.

gc0r.jpg

Stewards: jonnyb1990, memto89, Nin-Chin

After each event the stewards will review the race replay and provide judgements according to the rules stated below. This ruling will be published within one week after each event in the thread and on the OP. If you wish to appeal a ruling, please PM one of the stewards on GTP providing the reason for your appeal as well as video or photo justification where appropriate (especially if you suspect a lag incident). Appeals must be logged within five days of the Steward’s Report being posted, once a verdict has been logged over the appeal, this decision is final and cannot be contested.

Rules and Regulations:

In order to provide clarity over how the stewards will take action having reviewed a race, this list of driving rules has been produced to explain the criteria by which the stewards will judge. The maximum penalty for an infraction is stated within the square brackets, however the stewards can simply produce a warning to a driver. Any incident that requires the stewards discretion to apportion responsibility will be scrutinised by at least two stewards and the verdict will be a consensus view between them.

If drivers can provide us with a report after each race they compete in, this greatly speeds up the process and helps us identify incidents that might otherwise be overlooked.

Rulings can be appealed via PM on GTP, drivers may make their case, explaining their perception of events, however any ruling made after this ruling will be final.

Collisions:

Accident: A situation that results in contact in which the instigating driver loses control of their vehicle in a manner that makes avoiding the proceeding contact beyond reasonable expectation.

Racing incident: A situation where contact occurs through the action (or inaction) of at least one of the drivers involved, while maintaining in clear control of their vehicle, in which no significant damage or delay occurs to those not baring due responsibility.

Avoidable contact [+60s]: A situation where a vehicle is damaged or delayed through the controlled actions, intentional or otherwise, of another driver, in which responsibility for the situation occurring can be clearly defined.

If a collision is deemed as Avoidable contact, penalties will be given to the parties responsible even if they allow the other cars to re-pass after.

Pit Lines [+10s]: The pit entry and exit are defined as the area between the outside edge of the circuit and the inside edge of the pit line. If any part of a driver’s car crosses the line it will result in a penalty. There will be a statement in the Driver’s Briefing before each round that identifies which lines are being regulated.

Corner Cutting [+30s]: As a generalisation, track limits are defined by the outside edge of the white line on the circuit, however they also include the red and white curbing on apexes and exits; exceptions to this rule will be included in the driver’s briefing. A car must keep two wheels within the track limits at all times. If all four wheels are no longer within the track limits on three incidences within three laps, a penalty will be incurred.

Driving Standards [+120s]: If a driver is displaying poor control of their vehicle or deemed to behave in a reckless manner they will receive a driving standards warning. If one driver collects three warnings over the course of a season a penalty will be given. Note; damage is not a defence to this rule.

Blocking [+30s]: If a driver fails to provide racing room (the width of the passing car) to a car that has committed to a passing move, or otherwise forces them from the track during an overtake a penalty will be given to the responsible party even if they allow the other driver to pass afterwards.

Rejoin Blocking [+60s]: If a car is moving at significantly lower than racing speed such as rejoining the track (from either the pit lane or from an accident), or suffering from damage and deliberately moves to prevent another car from passing them they will receive a penalty.

Blue Flags [+60s]: A car that is being pursued by a car that is about to go a lap ahead is within their rights to drive their line and attempt to stay on the lead lap and is in no way expected to pull aside to allow the pursuer to pass. However, if the pursuing car attempts to make a pass and is close enough to do so, they must not execute a defensive manoeuvre as they could legally do if they were fighting for position; nor are they allowed to attempt as re-pass that will overly hinder the lapping car’s pace. If a car has gone a lap down due to damage and is recovering and noticeably catching cars that are laps ahead, it is allowed to pass them, however the leading cars are allowed to drive defensively if they choose to do so.

Restart: If a group of drivers disconnect from a lobby in quick succession and less than 70% of the race distance has been completed, a restart may be called. A note will be taken of the order at the time of the last completed lap and the laps completed, a new race will then be set to the distance remaining (+1 pace lap) and a period of 15minutes will be given for drivers to return to the lobby or communicate their intent to do so via the GTPlanet thread, facebook page or PSN network. Upon the race being restarted, the grid will form into the order before the disconnect and the green flag procedure from the initial start will be repeated.

If three disconnects occur before 70% of the original race distance has been covered, the race may be called off and half points awarded, however this will be decided by comity of the remaining racers and the decision will be communicated on the GTPlanet thread and facebook page.

4iy6.jpg

Points are rewarded post stewarding for the following:

1st +25

2nd +18

3rd +15

4th +12

5th +10

6th +8

7th +6

8th +4

9th +2

10th +1

Pole +2

Fastest Lap +2

Most Laps Lead +5

Daytona Video Review

Stewards Report: Nordschleife

No penalties for this round, so well done to all drivers for being sensible and not forcing any situations.

Final Classification:

1.jonnyb1990 - 20L - 2H04:29.229
2. Gadget333 - 19L - 2H04:49.650 (+405.954s)
3. davidb_165 - 17L - 2H00:24.722 (+892.839s)
4. OL_APEX - 13L - 1H24:14.916
5. Knukken - 12L - 1H25:29.569
6. memto89 - 6L - 36:35.827
7. duke_adam46 - 3L
8. Chozza_32 - 0L

All of which means the final results are as follows:

hcku.jpg

r4rn.jpg

At the risk of inviting nostalgia, I think the things to learn from this championship are that all in all, the points system did not work. If in the future we do use a ‘most laps led’ bonus, it will apply only to cars that do not also win the race, also I’m not a fan of the new F1 points system, and we will be reverting to the system used in WEC S2 for future events.

Other than that, I’d say this has been quite a resounding success, I personally have had a lot of fun racing with you guys, even if 90% of the challenge was just getting the cars around the track. I hope to see you guys on track in the future!

Last edited:
I'm gonna join in for this, looks very good, very likely that I'll be using the Toyota, will test the cars later on to make sure I've picked the correct car that suits me best.

My choice for now would be the Nissan or Toyota, I'll do some testing.

take my money! Though unsure which car, I don't have the Nissan so any other manufacturer will be fine, preferably Toyota or Mercedes,

Good to have you guys on board.

@TDZdave, Since this series was the reason I started using GTP's forums when you originally conceived it over a year ago, I guess we should probably get it underway at some point!

As for car selection, I don't require anything final from you before about a week before each race, however if you're desperate to drive one specific car, it will be on a first come first serve basis.

Last edited:
Good to have you guys on board.

@TDZdave, Since this series was the reason I started using GTP's forums when you originally conceived it over a year ago, I guess we should probably get it underway at some point!

As for car selection, I don't require anything final from you before about a week before each race, however if you're desperate to drive one specific car, it will be on a first come first serve basis.

I shall take the Mercedes for R1!

I will take the Merc too, easy to drive and very good handling after testing it out at Daytona.

Best time for now is a 1:28.170, very happy with the balance so far.

Last edited:
Rather worryingly I'm finding this Toyota a lot easier to drive than the TS020 I use in the WEC, despite the extra 300 horsepower, it just comes at you in one nice surge that you can cope with.

Rather worryingly I'm finding this Toyota a lot easier to drive than the TS020 I use in the WEC, despite the extra 300 horsepower, it just comes at you in one nice surge that you can cope with.

that's what she said!

:embarrassed: that's a surprise

I am gutted I can't make every race, these are some of favourite cars to drive! I just hope I can contest at Le Mans

If I want to use my 'stealth' 787B Mazda would that be allowed?
No you will not be allowed as the stealth cars have different outputs and handling styles which means that the specs would be out of wack

What time would this be aest?

That's GMT +10 so spec check 7:30am, race start would be 8am Sunday morning? That accurate @TDZdave ?

Anybody done some testing(I know it's very early)my best time round Daytona so far is 1:27.671

That's annoying I've only done a 1:28.0XX in the Nissan so far, get the impression that despite my fondness for realism I'll be ditching the h-pattern and clutch in my efforts to chase you down. (I'm gonna reserve the right to change the lap count if you keep this up!) ;p

Last edited:
I've only done 10laps, noticed the tyre wear is quite high with these cars, They will struggle to do more than 10 laps straight without spinning off, noticed my car is like garbage in the wet, it's not the traction, but the fact that the front won't bite, but in the dry at Daytona I have a good balance so far, still over 3 weeks to improve!

Sod the tyres, have you seen how much fuel they use! Won't surprise me if that's the limiting factor at Le Mans not tyres.

Latest Posts

Back