Corrupted data wont delete?

• Thread starter m8h3r
  • 14 comments
England
East Midlands
m8h3r
I have the installed data for Resistance 3 stuck on my PS3. I tried deleting it two days ago at it just got stuck on the deleting screen. So I had no choice but to restart my system. This made the data corrupted and now it won't delete. It just gets stuck on the deleting screen. It's a pain cause the Data's about 3GB and my systems only 37. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

m8h3r
I have the installed data for Resistance 3 stuck on my PS3. I tried deleting it two days ago at it just got stuck on the deleting screen. So I had no choice but to restart my system. This made the data corrupted and now it won't delete. It just gets stuck on the deleting screen. It's a pain cause the Data's about 3GB and my systems only 37. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

I'd copy any important data off the hard drive because it sounds like your system is unstable, then I'd format the drive, copy your data back on and keep a backup of everything you don't want to lose.

neema_t
I'd copy any important data off the hard drive because it sounds like your system is unstable, then I'd format the drive, copy your data back on and keep a backup of everything you don't want to lose.

This would mean I'd lose all the accounts etc on there right? And have to reinstall multiple GB of updates?

Run a CHKDSK /f.

This should fix any deletion issues you have.

This is on a PS3 and not on a computer.

This would mean I'd lose all the accounts etc on there right? And have to reinstall multiple GB of updates?

Unfortunately true. But you should not lose your accounts if you write down the account name and it's password. You could also upgrade the hard drive while you are doing this. You just need a 2.5"(laptop) SATA HDD. So instead of a 40GB HDD you can put a 320GB or even a 1TB HDD(has to be 9.5mm thick and no thicker) in your PS3.

I'm pretty sure there is now way to access the filesystem from a PC. So if you can't delete the file from the PS3 itself, you're going to have to backup and do a complete restore to reclaim the lost space.

This similar thing happened on my iPhone when the phone crashed while I was syncing some file to VLC on it. The space that was being used by the files couldn't be reclaimed. The files were indeed still on the phone, but the VLC app didn't recognize them to therefore I could not delete them. I was able to remove them manually by jailbreaking and getting to a command prompt to remove them, but if I hadn't done that the only option was to do a restore.

No. If you use the Backup Utility rather than copy things individually, it copies all of that for you. I'm pretty sure the only thing that will be lost is your credit card information, which you will have to reenter.

Toronado
No. If you use the Backup Utility rather than copy things individually, it copies all of that for you. I'm pretty sure the only thing that will be lost is your credit card information, which you will have to reenter.

I hope this is the case. I have a 320GB External hard drive but it's not normally recognised by the PS3, if I try back up will it recognise it?

To connect with the PS3, you need to have external devices formatted to FAT32. If the system won't recognize the HDD in the XMB normally, the Backup Utility won't see it either.

Toronado
To connect with the PS3, you need to have external devices formatted to FAT32. If the system won't recognize the HDD in the XMB normally, the Backup Utility won't see it either.

I think I'll have to format it to FAT32 later on then and try that. So would this not delete any accounts so games what other people have shared to me I can still play?

In my experience, if you copy things using the Backup Utility, when you restore it should be exactly as it was before you used it. I remember that I changed my HDD from the default 60GB back when I had someone else's copy of GT:HD a few years ago, when I installed the new HDD and restored the backup GT:HD was there.

Now, as far as game sharing with paid games go... I don't know if that will work. I don't think it changes the system activation for that, and I'm fairly certain it backs up information relating to accounts as well (except credit card info). But I can't vouch for that personally, since GT:HD didn't have any of that stuff locking the game to accounts.

Toronado
In my experience, if you copy things using the Backup Utility, when you restore it should be exactly as it was before you used it. I remember that I changed my HDD from the default 60GB back when I had someone else's copy of GT:HD a few years ago, when I installed the new HDD and restored the backup GT:HD was there.

Now, as far as game sharing with paid games go... I don't know if that will work. I don't think it changes the system activation for that, and I'm fairly certain it backs up information relating to accounts as well (except credit card info). But I can't vouch for that personally, since GT:HD didn't have any of that stuff locking the game to accounts.

Also I'm activated on 5 systems. Can only work out 2 but hey, would my account work fine still?

Ok, I've converted to FAT32, and the system is backing up now. But wouldn't this just copy the corrupted data to my HDD, then back again? Or should it then let me delete it afterwards?

Ok, I've converted to FAT32, and the system is backing up now. But wouldn't this just copy the corrupted data to my HDD, then back again? Or should it then let me delete it afterwards?

I believe that if you have a stable back-up, you can then attempt to do other things that other people have suggested, or possibly delete it off the back-up on the hard drive. (If it saves it directly to it).

Back