Course Maker in GT6?

• Thread starter ffjjbb
  • 786 comments
United States
Connecticut
ffjjbb
This is my opinion on what the track creator should be like.
But i would something almost exactly like this, but with a more realistic aspect.
Im not a really a fan of the GT5 track creator. And i would like to have full control of what i could build. Imagine the tracks that community could build if they had this kind of control. 💡
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyk3CC3vyyg
sorry but i couldn't figure out how to get the youtube thing to work

I've used to think this would be great, and it would be up to a certain point. I own both games, I picked up mod nation racers just for its track maker, its quite good.

But I've come to realise that the randomness of GT5's track maker has its benifits. In Mod Nation Racers I found my self making very similar tracks over and over (lack of creativity?) and I reached a point of saturation where i felt like I had nothing new to create.

With GT5's random layouts you end up with tracks that you wouldn't have created otherwise, and a seemingly endless variety. But its very time consuming.

On the subject of sharing custom tracks Mod Nation Racers has a great system where they highlight the most popular custom tracks, also after finishing a race they give you the option to download the track. I think they also had a searchable database for them.

I feel like the sharing side of the track maker needs the most work, It should be made easier and quicker to share. It should be made possible to share with "non friends".
I'm sure you guys have noticed the large number of topics in this section where people say they have a new fun track and want to share it. I mean people really want to share these tracks, but they dont have a good way of doing so.

I find the GT5 system both too random and not random enough.

It's too random in that you have almost no control over the shape of the tracks.

It's not random enough in that the tracks all feel the same after a while.

I gave up on the Track Creator a long time back.

The ModNation system (which I saw in the video for the first time) is the other extreme. You control every aspect.

I won't buy MNR for other reasons but it certainly smokes GT in track creation.

One more thing I think would be great in the next track maker is a Nascar Oval theme. These kind of tracks are requested quite often.

I would think it would also be a easy theme to make so it should be feasable.

I certainly do not disagree with more options, however, sometimes more control doesn't make it easier or better. I can imagine I could waste a week trying to perfectionise a corner, whereas with the course maker now I can have a "decent" track in a few minutes/hours. All I'm just saying is that the time versus quality might actually be worse with more options.
Just to be clear, I'm all for more control. I'm just... sharing this, I guess.

Besides having more control over the track itself (the most important part), I personally would like more scenery. I don't necessarily mean more locations, but rather having control over cliffs, rivers, waterfalls, caves etc. (as scenery). As someone else mentioned, all tracks in the same theme look, well... the same. It'd be interesting to build the terrain (even just for aesthetics).

Okay, some players lack creativity, so for them we could still have just a generic random generator much like the current system. However, for some of us it would be nice to have a more detailed system, sort of like ModNation. Let the novices randomly generate country roads and the pros sculpt their creations bit-by-bit.

That. A real track editor, not a random track generator.

You know, though, I want what rFactor has: Bob's Track Builder.

This one's the one that people use to recreate the world's most famous racetracks, or create tracks like Autumn Ring; tracks which aren't real, but, are so natural, that they almost should be.

So something sort of like roller coaster tycoon except with race tracks and the ability to change every part of the surface including elevation, sounds like a cool idea. But that would suck if it became the main focus of the game because that sounds like a lot to manage

Doesn't matter that much to me, although I'd like to see something similar to Bob's or even just the one they have in TrackMania (only with unlimited/bigger building space)

Doesn't matter that much to me, although I'd like to see something similar to Bob's or even just the one they have in TrackMania (only with unlimited/bigger building space)

I'd like to read more about this TrackMania game. Anyone who looks through my favourite threads will notice that I do a lot of track designs in my free time. So, I've been waiting for a game, in which I can control every aspect... I want to design tracks like the ones that are used in the Aussie V8s...

MrMelancholy15
I'd like to read more about this TrackMania game. Anyone who looks through my favourite threads will notice that I do a lot of track designs in my free time. So, I've been waiting for a game, in which I can control every aspect... I want to design tracks like the ones that are used in the Aussie V8s...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackMania

It's no simulator yet but it's fun straight from somewhere good.

And with a little imagination you can built some really great real-life-lookalikes. I race in a F1 based team and most of our tracks I'd say matches up to 90% of the real circuit.

MrMelancholy15
Apparently... Personally, I'd hate to try to re-model the Nordschleife with 90 degree corners...

Agreed, that is a problem, but there are some close-to-45degree blocks as well, and there's plenty of real tracks to make.. In any case I think this track builder is way better than the current GT5 one.

Try search for Geriatricfan1963 on YouTube, he has some track guides on there, that really shows what can be done

This is my opinion on what the track creator should be like.
But i would something almost exactly like this, but with a more realistic aspect.
Im not a really a fan of the GT5 track creator. And i would like to have full control of what i could build. Imagine the tracks that community could build if they had this kind of control. 💡
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyk3CC3vyyg
sorry but i couldn't figure out how to get the youtube thing to work
Something more precise isn't possible yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UWt-iPxCW9g#t=856s

That's Famine speaking by the way. :)

You sould be able to design the distances and the shape(oval, road course, or drag strip.) Because no one can make a good nascar track and there is no drag strips other than special stage route x but you can't even drag against ppl there

I would like to see it were you can spend a good amount of time building it. Where you can make a track you way you want with no presets. So we could me look a likes of brands hatch and stuff like that. I would like it to have the ability to add my own building were I want them. I want to spend loads of time getting everything just right. I would like to add my own camber and to the angle I want. And the raises in height that I would put in. It would need limits of course but it's an idea.

I've used to think this would be great, and it would be up to a certain point. I own both games, I picked up mod nation racers just for its track maker, its quite good.

But I've come to realise that the randomness of GT5's track maker has its benifits

With GT5's random layouts you end up with tracks that you wouldn't have created otherwise, and a seemingly endless variety. But its very time consuming.

I also like to think that there is a certain challenge to it. I see things like "I have a higher jump track than Mark", or "My Tokyo Bay track has 328 turns" all the time. It wouldn't be that hard to create a jump track higher than WORD with a "fully-costumizable" track maker. I'm just showing the other side of things; never played modnation, don't know for myself what it is capable of. Honestly, I would say rather than GT6, lets all hope for Spec 3.0. That would be awesome, PD.

I like the way the track maker is so far although I do wish there were more theme options that's probably my only gripe.

I see a problem with this though. While I would LOVE a fully customizable track editor lets look at 2 main problems.
1) Wouldn't it be a lot tougher given GT5's far more advanced physics, engine, ect?
2) GT5 is marketed as a realistic driving simulator. With Modnation you can have figure 8 tracks that crash into each other, or have a jump and you have to land on an island. How could the GT5 developers code everything that could be realistic/or not?

BTW I'm all for a full track editor(Finally I could make a decent ramp!)

The track editor should be like LFS if they could do something like that it would be amazing.

After messing with the track creator a little more since the other day I posted.

Main things I hope for in GT6 cause it probably won't happen in an update.

1. Longer tracks
2. Ability to place props.
3. More Themes

With #3 I'm hoping for multiple city based themes like New York City, L.A, Spain, France, etc.

Also hope they include a Forest or Jungle theme with rallying.

What is the chances to see this again in GT6?
Was this feature well used in GT5 enough to have a comeback in GT6?
How this will bring less need for DLC tracks? Or not?
Any chance of this time the Course Maker gives full liberty of creation?

By the way, do you want to see it in GT6 or you think its unecessary?

1. Great

2. Fantastic for a first iteration in the series. We were always stuck with what was on disc before.

3. Depends on how powerful the next version of the editor would be. If its just a more fleshed out version of the current system. I don't see people changing their opinions on wanting more more more. But if it has the ability to create closer representations of real world tracks. Then it will lessen the need.

4. I would be surprised actually if this isn't in future games anyways. As i know more companies are looking for more procedural ways of creating content. Hence a more robust Track editor is likely in the works. Not to mention issues with needing licenses for different tracks around the world. ie. Money, time it takes to map out the track.

5. Personally i love the feature, and only really got into it and appreciated its massive replay value a year or so after the game came out. I want to see it in the next game forsure.

I fully understand its limitations right now and why people do have difficulty with it. It isn't perfect for sure. It would be nice to piece together actual corners or at least have more say in the matter, also have the ability to change the location of the way points. Point to point races. Couple more locations.

I think the biggest positive for me with the track creator is the ability to create countless new tracks. Which for me has made the replay value so much greater.

Also for all those people looking for an open world game. I think this can be the closest thing to it. Some of the tracks you can make give you(me)the feel of driving out on a back road somewhere. I created a few tracks that were very windy and some with more straights for top end speed. I fell in love with the tuscan tarmac.

I think this feature came to stay. It's brilliant but have a lot of space to evolve into something way cooler.

I believe it'll come for GT6 with point-to-point option, twice the theme options it already have, more flexibility to control the format of sections and full weather/time change for most themes.

What is the chances to see this again in GT6?
Was this feature well used in GT5 enough to have a comeback in GT6?
How this will bring less need for DLC tracks? Or not?
Any chance of this time the Course Maker gives full liberty of creation?

By the way, do you want to see it in GT6 or you think its unecessary?

Do you have nothing to add yourself?

What are your thoughts?

It seems strange to start a thread and yet have absolutely no input or opinion yourself.

I barely used it in GT5, the tracks it created were usually poor physically and visually. If they add enough actual tracks to the game I wouldn't care about a creator at all. You only need one of those if there aren't enough tracks to begin with.

Back