Creation vs. Evolution

• Thread starter ledhed
  • 9,687 comments
True. I realized I basically had just said "perfect" and that's not going to happen in this life. So..... Yeah, but, there is still A balance. We don't have the Amoebas eating everything, and we don't have the "prey" overcoming the amoebas. It's a fluctuation, but it always comes back to regression. The "average" wins.

So, what is the balance, and how does it change? Does one change create another predator, which then may compete with the original? How does that affect the balance? Why do we have so many different ecosystems?

The clock assumed that we started with something. That is the point, I know. But how did we get to that point? I don't care to get into that argument because it isn't evolution on this level, and isn't worth arguing.

So, moving on: A pendulum happen. Okay, so the second assumption is that a gear wants to be a pendulum.

Why?

Then, he assumed a ratchet came to be. Hmmm... really?

If this is an unplanned accident, anything can happen, right?

Why not have a (to be ridiculous) bomb show up?
Did you watch the same video as the rest of us?

All those questions are covered quite clearly in it, the point is to show that a claim made by creationists doesn't hold ground, its not supposed to be an exact model of evolutionary theory (and states as much repeatedly) but to show that complex outcomes can and do occur as the result of random choices.

But.... that would kill off the system, so the rule of survival would be surpassed. We have to obey the rule of survival.
What rule of survival?

Then there is the assumption of breeding. Why would a cell breed when it is fine in its ecology and environment?
Why does anything breed?

Hmm.... I don't get that.
Well stop making things up and you might stand a better chance.

After a time, it DOES make sense that things come together to create a clock. Okay. But, who said it had to be a 24 hour clock? why not 10 minutes or 100 hours?(I'll admit that I don't always grasp all of the information and didn't completely grasp the numbering system, so sorry if I missed that.)

Still, though, the assumption is that an end result is wanted. I get we want a clock, but why not a car? If we are going for a random outcome, when are we happy?
Once again, that is addressed in the video.

A balanced (surviving) ecology answers THAT question.... or does it?
No. Its not a design.

The clock assumed that we started with something. That is the point, I know. But how did we get to that point? I don't care to get into that argument because it isn't evolution on this level, and isn't worth arguing.

That's why I pointed you to abiogenesis.

So, moving on: A pendulum happen. Okay, so the second assumption is that a gear wants to be a pendulum.

Why?

Wrong.

A pendulum happened to come into being with all the random combinations of parts floating around, and it happened to be better at keeping time than a random gear.

You can substitute "better at keeping time" with "more fit for survival" to translate it into real world terms.

Then, he assumed a ratchet came to be. Hmmm... really?

If this is an unplanned accident, anything can happen, right?

Why not have a (to be ridiculous) bomb show up?

Can you make a bomb from those parts? :rolleyes:

Let's say for argument's sake that a bomb could be made by some combination. Why does it not go gear -> bomb?

Because you can only go one step at a time. You cannot do just anything, any more than you can suddenly teleport to the top of a staircase. You go up one step at a time. If you're really energetic you might jump two, but to get to the fortieth floor you're looking at a long, hard, slow climb.

To go back to the clock analogy, the odds of a working clock spontaneously assembling in a single step are so long it's unbelievable. On the other hand, if you go one step at a time and each miniscule improvement is conserved along the way, it becomes more or less inevitable.

But.... that would kill off the system, so the rule of survival would be surpassed. We have to obey the rule of survival.

Then there is the assumption of breeding. Why would a cell breed when it is fine in its ecology and environment?

Hmm.... I don't get that.

Please use your brain. What happens to a population that doesn't breed in an environment that includes random events of sudden death?

Stuff that doesn't breed doesn't survive, even if it's somehow immortal.

After a time, it DOES make sense that things come together to create a clock. Okay. But, who said it had to be a 24 hour clock? why not 10 minutes or 100 hours?(I'll admit that I don't always grasp all of the information and didn't completely grasp the numbering system, so sorry if I missed that.)

Because that's the information that he was using to judge fitness. He wanted something that resembled a real clock, which means human time divisions. A clock that works in human time divisions is a "better" clock than one that works in some arbitrary division, and is thus selected for.

Still, though, the assumption is that an end result is wanted. I get we want a clock, but why not a car? If we are going for a random outcome, when are we happy?

A balanced (surviving) ecology answers THAT question.... or does it?

There is no end result.

He stopped the simulation at a certain time that demonstrated that a clock of reasonable accuracy could be produced by evolutionary means. He could have left it running and it would have produced more and more accurate clocks.

If he'd wanted a car then the fitness criteria would have been for things that are more car like.

In the real world, the fitness criteria are for things that survive and breed.

There is no end to this. There is no "that's enough, it's over now". Evolution continues.

I don't have a problem with what is said here.

The problem I have is that when it comes from a teacher in a school, it is typically TAKEN as fact.

Then, not allowing a counterpoint (teaching religious understanding (not saying to teach A religion, but religious understanding)) is not fair to EITHER side.

This is why the "church and state" argument to me is pointless. If you don't embrace what is there, how do you know what is good (or bad) about it?

Mind, I'm not saying that I want to learn about the details of the occult. I'm just saying that knowing how "Christians", "Muslims", "Hebrews" ("Jews"), "Buddhists", etc. feel about their religion is valuable. That way, evolution can be approached from a balanced perspective of "this is how THEY feel about what they are saying".

I'm not sure why you think the religious point of view should be taught in a science class, there's nothing scientific about religion since it's based on faith, and this is coming from a guy who believes in a higher power. I do think the religious point of view should be taught in school since it's a really good way to understand the background on culture, but a science course isn't the place for it. Leave it to history, philosophy, anthropology, or sociology.

As for what should be taught in a science course, there are plenty of ideas how creation started from a scientific approach. Did the "stuff" of life come from elements combining on a new Earth or did they come from another planet? Basically science should be looking at what caused the first cell to be alive without using the answer of "a higher power(s) did it". There's nothing wrong with thinking that a higher power is responsible for life on this planet, but teach it in the appropriate area so kids can go up with the ability to understand the difference between fact and faith.

@Imari , I agree with how you put that. I read that as it's not that it has a need to be one specific thing, that's just how it came to be with what was there. Okay, that works for the situation.

And, yes, nothing stops. Even God has said that He progresses. So, why (and how) would there ever be a stopping point?

@Joey D : I'm not saying that religion should be taught in science class. In fact, I'm not saying religion should be taught at all.

I do feel that evolution should be taught as history. Just as the history that there are religions in this world should be taught. If someone understands the historical reason for things to have happened (religious, evolutionary, political or otherwise), they will understand why the world is the way it is a little better. Never going to be a perfect understanding, but empathy is always easier and better when you understand why something happened.

I have no problem with teaching the scientific method. There is NO harm in that. In fact, I hope it is taught and used more and better than it currently is.

My problem is teaching that evolution is the way everything happened isn't a very scientific approach. Politics didn't happen because a horse had a baby. They happened because someone wanted THAT horse... ;)

do feel that evolution should be taught as history. Just as the history that there are religions in this world should be taught. If someone understands the historical reason for things to have happened (religious, evolutionary, political or otherwise), they will understand why the world is the way it is a little better. Never going to be a perfect understanding, but empathy is always easier and better when you understand why something happened.

Evolution should be taught in history class, but only when it comes to learning about scientific discoveries. Learning about the history of Darwin and his voyages is fine for history courses, the concepts behind what actually drive evolution are based on science and thus should be taught in a science class, preferably a biology course.

My problem is teaching that evolution is the way everything happened isn't a very scientific approach. Politics didn't happen because a horse had a baby. They happened because someone wanted THAT horse... ;)

Based on science, evolution is currently the most accepted way of how life got to be the way it is today. Someone didn't just sit down one day and say, "yes this is the way it is". It comes from hundreds of years of observation, studying the fossil record, and a ton of peer review. Religion comes from thousands of years of faith and tradition, there's nothing wrong with it but religion isn't science nor does it even attempt to provide a scientific explanation for anything.

And, yes, nothing stops. Even God has said that He progresses. So, why (and how) would there ever be a stopping point?

You tell me. You were the one assuming that an end result was wanted.

I do feel that evolution should be taught as history.

What, so that people can memorise the tree of life? Pointless waste of time.

If you want to learn evolution, you need to learn the scientific method.

My problem is teaching that evolution is the way everything happened isn't a very scientific approach.

Oh dear. You're still misunderstanding the concept of a theory.

Nobody should be teaching that evolution is the way everything happened. Anybody who does is not teaching it right, because nobody makes that claim.

Evolution is our best understanding of how to explain certain observations about species and the natural world. That's it. Stop trying to paint it as some hard and fast rule that scientists are dictating to the world, because nothing could be further from the truth.

This is exactly why people need to understand the scientific method. If you teach evolution as history, you can't help but present it as factual information, and that is not correct. If you teach it as science, you can't help but present it as the best current understanding of certain observations.

I can't help but think that you have the media perception of science as a bunch of old blokes in white robes telling the world how it is. It's just not true.

Scientists spend all their time trying to pick holes in their own theories and the theories of others. Nothing can ever be proven correct, it can only be proven wrong. We have stuff that we're fairly sure is damn close to correct because people have spent a lot of time trying to prove it wrong and have failed. Also, the things that are damn close to correct tend to have fairly high predictive power for new stuff that we might discover, like that citrate eating E Coli.

Teach evolution as science and you by definition have also trained people to ask questions of it and try to improve on the areas where the theory falls down. Teach it as history and you're telling people how it is, the exact opposite of what you claim to want.

You tell me. You were the one assuming that an end result was wanted.

True. I saw that they stopped the simulation, so he was happy with what they had and considered it an end to his experiment. Not sure if they were hoping for a next step or not....

What, so that people can memorise the tree of life? Pointless waste of time.

No. So they can have empathy for the situation. Do you know the 5 pillars of Islam? Do you know what the Law of Moses says about health and why it was so groundbreaking? Do you know that Darwin was a Christian and had some pretty severe doubts about his theory? (quick search gave me this: http://www.windowview.org/sci/pgs/09doubts.html)

I came up with an idea almost two years ago that I thought a normal passenger car could get 200 MPG. According to my personal "best known technology" I was correct. But I wasn't sure. So I shared it and said, "What do you think?" I had some people reply and show me the holes in my theory. And there are a couple of horrible ones.

Did that make my theory wrong? No, as VW has created a 200+ MPG car. They didn't do it like I proposed (it's a 2-seater, not a 4+ seater, among many, many other things), and I'm confident they could improve on the design if they used a couple of the ideas I have. But, they have proven that 200 mpg IS possible.

Do I feel slighted or wrong? No. (Well, actually, I wanted to be first... ;) )

So, I want the history of the theory taught in full so that empathy for the situation based on the historical time frame and (then current) understanding can be applied. That way, it can be looked at objectively, not as the most powerful thing that's out there.

If you want to learn evolution, you need to learn the scientific method.

True. The scientific method IS the most powerful tool out there that we can use to understand and improve our world with.

Oh dear. You're still misunderstanding the concept of a theory.

Not sure I am, I'm just using too broad of a brush, not being fully objective and covering more things than I need to (or can) in one statement.

Nobody should be teaching that evolution is the way everything happened. Anybody who does is not teaching it right, because nobody makes that claim.

Good. I'm glad we agree on that.

Evolution is our best understanding of how to explain certain observations about species and the natural world. That's it. Stop trying to paint it as some hard and fast rule that scientists are dictating to the world, because nothing could be further from the truth.

This is exactly why people need to understand the scientific method. If you teach evolution as history, you can't help but present it as factual information, and that is not correct. If you teach it as science, you can't help but present it as the best current understanding of certain observations.

Yes. Best understanding. THAT is my problem with it. My best understanding is far, far short of what makes sense. I don't know how things came together. That's why I'm asking and learning.

I can't help but think that you have the media perception of science as a bunch of old blokes in white robes telling the world how it is. It's just not true.

No, I don't listen to religious people who say "Evolution can't happen." That's a lie, and why I say a more balanced approach needs to be had. I'm not saying what that balance needs to be, or how it will work. Just that there are too many questions for either side to fully answer.

Scientists spend all their time trying to pick holes in their own theories and the theories of others. Nothing can ever be proven correct, it can only be proven wrong. We have stuff that we're fairly sure is damn close to correct because people have spent a lot of time trying to prove it wrong and have failed. Also, the things that are damn close to correct tend to have fairly high predictive power for new stuff that we might discover, like that citrate eating E Coli.

Teach evolution as science and you by definition have also trained people to ask questions of it and try to improve on the areas where the theory falls down. Teach it as history and you're telling people how it is, the exact opposite of what you claim to want.

Hmmmm.... Not sure how the best way to approach this is. I see the "people in white robes" at the moment being the media, and THEY sure shove it down the pipe that evolution is there. If it were a scientist (or pretty well anyone) who were to talk about evolution and give it a better element of reasonable doubt, I would be a lot more okay with what I hear.

Now, teaching evolution as history isn't quite what I mean. I want history to teach the historical attitudes and understanding more thoroughly so that when the scientific method is brought up, we can look at the results of it more objectively.

If we know WHY evolution was thought up to begin with, then it's easier to ask, "Is it REALLY the only answer to look for?"

Yes, I believe that religion has a PLACE in all of this. Trusting the unknown is perfectly fine. Look at what we know about the ocean. Do we say that we ACTUALLY know about ALL of the animals in the ocean? No. Does that make us unable to learn about what is there? No.

There is a balance there. We trust the truth that there is more to learn. Many things are unknown. We may learn more in this life, but we may not. Evolution, for me, is a better understanding, but there are holes in it. Some holes may be filled in this life, some may not.

Am I worried about that? Well, I'm worried that the extremists will shove it down my throat that I am wrong. I am not wrong. I am merely imperfect.

Note that that statement says nothing about whether evolution or creation is correct (or those who scream from either side). It merely says I (and all of us) have more to learn.

Last edited:
You need to remove the / from the start of each quote.... to begin a quote you should only have QUOTE inside the first brackets and /QUOTE to end (also inside [] brackets)

Quoting.JPG

@TRLWNC7396 , quote tags should look like that ^^^

Well, I'm worried that the extremists will shove it down my throat that I am wrong. I am not wrong. I am merely imperfect.
Who are these extremists and what have they done to deserve that qualification?

No. So they can have empathy for the situation. Do you know the 5 pillars of Islam? Do you know what the Law of Moses says about health and why it was so groundbreaking?

How does empathy help you become a better scientist?

It's helpful to understand the backstory of how many theories came to be, but that tends to be taught as a matter of course. If you can't understand why the plum pudding model of an atom is wrong, you're going to have a real hard time getting any further.

Do you kow that Darwin was a Christian and had some pretty severe doubts about his theory? (quick search gave me this: http://www.windowview.org/sci/pgs/09doubts.html)

Did you know that not being a Christian in those times was pretty serious business? Most of the major players in the scientific revolution were Christian, because that's what people were at the time. Doesn't mean a thing, and being Christian didn't stop any of them from thinking clearly.

It doesn't matter what Darwin thought of his theory, which has at this point progressed so far beyond him that it's barely the same thing any more anyway. He didn't have access to genetic information, which really provides a lot of the key evidence for evolution. Modern evolution has come a long, long way from Darwin's version.

So, I want the history of the theory taught in full so that empathy for the situation based on the historical time frame and (then current) understanding can be applied. That way, it can be looked at objectively, not as the most powerful thing that's out there.

You're strawmanning again. Stop it.

Yes. Best understanding. THAT is my problem with it. My best understanding is far, far short of what makes sense. I don't know how things came together. That's why I'm asking and learning.

And yet your solution to this is to come in and propose a universal revision of scientific teaching methods based on your current lack of comprehension.

It seems to me like you've made a massive leap in there somewhere. Seems to me that the answer lies in self-education.

No, I don't listen to religious people who say "Evolution can't happen." That's a lie, and why I say a more balanced approach needs to be had. I'm not saying what that balance needs to be, or how it will work. Just that there are too many questions for either side to fully answer.

There aren't two sides to this.

There's scientists who spend their time looking at the world, coming up with hypotheses and then doing their best to tear them apart. These are people who are looking for the closest thing to the objective truth that they can get, be that evolution, or God, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Some things would be slightly more embarrassing than others, but any scientist worth his salt will not ignore evidence that's staring them in the face.

And then there's the religious faction, who have decided what the answer is already based largely on one very old book, and are spending all their time digging for evidence to support that. These are people who will ignore or attempt to discredit any evidence that does not suit their purposes, because they're not interested in objective truth, they're interested in being right.

The religious faction doesn't even get a say in this until they admit that they would be willing to accept any theory if presented with appropriate evidence. Until then, there's one side, and it's science. Anyone else who is willing to approach the problem with an open mind is welcome.

If we know WHY evolution was thought up to begin with, then it's easier to ask, "Is it REALLY the only answer to look for?"

What?

Why does anyone think of any hypothesis? Because there are holes in the current understanding, things that are poorly explained or not explained at all, and they're attempting to find something that better suits the observed evidence.

I'm not sure what sort of WHY you're looking for here. This is not complicated. People like to learn stuff and find it useful.

Yes, I believe that religion has a PLACE in all of this.

And what place is that? What can religion tell us about evolution that is helpful?

Trusting the unknown is perfectly fine. Look at what we know about the ocean. Do we say that we ACTUALLY know about ALL of the animals in the ocean? No. Does that make us unable to learn about what is there? No.

There is a balance there. We trust the truth that there is more to learn. Many things are unknown. We may learn more in this life, but we may not. Evolution, for me, is a better understanding, but there are holes in it. Some holes may be filled in this life, some may not.

You really need to learn more about the scientific method. This is basic stuff. Go back and read Wikipedia some more.

You're right, but these are not the enlightening statements you seem to think they are. Scientists know this stuff. Laypeople interested in science know this stuff. It's news to you because you're learning about the scientific method for the first time, and you've still got a long way to go.

Note that that statement says nothing about whether evolution or creation is correct (or those who scream from either side). It merely says I (and all of us) have more to learn.

Unfortunately, creation cannot be correct. It's unfalsifiable. If you can never find anything to prove a hypothesis wrong, then there's no meaningful sense in which it can be said to be right either.

We do science by testing hypotheses and trying to prove them wrong. How do you ever prove a hypothesis wrong when any negative observation can be explained by "well, God made it like that"? Fossil records go back further than the date of creation? God created them in place like that. No evidence of a global flood? God must have erased the evidence.

Stop trying to play both sides. Evolution and creationism are largely incompatible, in that creationism renders evolution almost completely redundant. You may have more to learn before you can make an informed choice between them, but don't assume that all the rest of us have to.

Do you kow that Darwin was a Christian and had some pretty severe doubts about his theory? (quick search gave me this: http://www.windowview.org/sci/pgs/09doubts.html)
And your quick search illustrates your own conformation bias.

Lets look at its main claim, that Darwin had doubts when he said:

"The eye to this day gives me a cold shudder." To think the eye had evolved by natural selection, Darwin said, "seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree."

And they would have a point if that was all he said. However what he actual wrote was:

"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science. Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself originated; but I may remark that, as some of the lowest organisms, in which nerves cannot be detected, are capable of perceiving light, it does not seem impossible that certain sensitive elements in their sarcode should become aggregated and developed into nerves, endowed with this special sensibility"

Now when we take it in its full context (The Origin of the Species is a public domain work, you can freely download it and check this) it expresses no doubt about the eye at all. None.

Now here is a question I would like you to answer. Why do you think the authors of your source (Creationists) would use such an inaccurate quote?

@TRLWNC7396 -- You keep using the words "why" and "want."

There is no "why" or "want" in the evolutionary process. Give those up.

No organism thinks to itself "I will produce babies with sharper teeth so they can hunt more successfully," or "It's so hard to see in these caves, so my babies should have better eyesight."

The giraffe didn't develop 7 huge neck vertebra because some pre-giraffe thought it would be nice to reach the leaves on those tall trees. It happened because offspring of that pre-giraffe, the ones that had bigger neck bones, ate better, and over the millennia the long necks came to be. Purely by accident. And not overnight or even in a few generations.

Once you give up on "guided evolution" you'll understand the whole concept much more clearly.

Not to be taken too seriously, contains bad language.

And whilst on that topic how did Noah find the time to not only find every species on Earth but to round them up and put them on the Ark whilst ensuring the survival of every single one? Good luck getting titanosaurs on there. Of course you also have carbon dated fossils and DNA backing up the theory of evolution.

I came up with an idea almost two years ago that I thought a normal passenger car could get 200 MPG. According to my personal "best known technology" I was correct. But I wasn't sure. So I shared it and said, "What do you think?" I had some people reply and show me the holes in my theory. And there are a couple of horrible ones.

Did that make my theory wrong? No, as VW has created a 200+ MPG car. They didn't do it like I proposed (it's a 2-seater, not a 4+ seater, among many, many other things), and I'm confident they could improve on the design if they used a couple of the ideas I have. But, they have proven that 200 mpg IS possible.

That wasn't a theory, it was an opinion. It's not a theory until a lot more work has been done.

Do you know that Darwin was a Christian and had some pretty severe doubts about his theory? (quick search gave me this: http://www.windowview.org/sci/pgs/09doubts.html)

Although this might have been one of Darwin's doubts, it wasn't one at the time of his writing of these words, as @Scaff pointed out in his post. And, as science understands, "doubt" is a positive force for discovery, whereas "faith", with its inflexibility, hinders progress.

Now here is a question I would like you to answer. Why do you think the authors of your source (Creationists) would use such an inaccurate quote?

@TRLWNC7396, I too would like you to answer @Scaff's question as a matter of high priority and urgency. This is a key step in understanding where creationists are trying to take your mind.

Sorry to take so long in replying. I realized that my post yesterday morning was more for a reply, and not to be fair to either side, so I wanted to think out a more reasonable reply. Then Halloween happened... ;)

So, no I didn't try very hard to look for anything specific. I just wanted to see what there was, and I didn't review or carefully check what that website was aiming at. I would have been just as profitable to take an evolution-heavy website to a creationist forum and put up something that refuted the "earth was made in 6 24-hour periods" argument.

I don't think that it took that little time, by the way. I am perfectly happy to realize that scientific records show, in many, many ways that the earth has been around longer than the 5000 or so years of recorded history we have. Plus, empathizing with the current culture that was in place at the time that Genesis was written shows that most people didn't grasp what a year was. Much less hundreds. They just lived by seasons, one day (or working period) at a time. But, that's a whole different discussion.

Asking about extremist.... Well, try this on for size:

This is a key step in understanding where creationists are trying to take your mind.

I must say I laughed when I saw this. ;) Not to be rude, or anything, but this is akin to me coming in here, and for my first post screaming in all caps, "You are all going to hell because you don't believe in God."

Yeah.... THAT would go over well! ;)

So here's the part I've been thinking about:

Why don't I give up on the why and how?

Well, I am here on this earth for a reason. Why are you? And how did I come to be here when there are an infinite number of variables out there?

Looking back at the clock: It was assumed that there was a frame. Then, it was assumed that the (merely) 4 elements chosen would attach to it, to each other, and randomly start keeping track of time.

What is time?

Why would they do that?

Well, the experiment/simulation was to create a clock. That means that there was a purpose to the simulation.

If the experiment continued, would it ever create a car?

I have a theory (and I call it that because it is based on my best understanding of well developed technology) that a car can get over 200 mpg. And I know it's possible because it has happened.

But my original idea had some pretty drastic holes in it.

Evolution is based on the current best understanding of the technology of life. And we know it is possible because it has/is happening.

But why is there life?

And how did it happen?

We aren't an assembly of merely four components. The number of variables is infinite. The number of possible combinations is statistically mind-blowingly far beyond that. Remember the 10 coins? What if I went for 1000? Or more?

This is a hole that I don't see being filled by evolution.

I'm not saying evolution is wrong. I am merely wondering how to fill this hole. Can we?

Well, the experiment/simulation was to create a clock. That means that there was a purpose to the simulation.

If the experiment continued, would it ever create a car?

No, but then evolution can't create a dog. At least not in deep-sea trench bio-systems. But I guess they have different parameters, right?

But why is there life?
Not science.
And how did it happen?
Science.

You're looking at Evolutionary Theory and trying to inject a directed purpose to answer a philosophical question of reason into it and, when coming up short, blaming Evolutionary Theory. Why is not in its remit, only how is - and it covers the how.

Using the absence of a why as an argument to exclude the teaching of Evolutionary Theory from science class - or give it some kind of special treatment where we have to teach it differently - chronically misunderstands what science, theory and Evolutionary Theory actually are.

In simple terms, we know more about evolution than we do about gravitation, but you don't have a problem with teaching Gravitational Theory in science class, do you? You wouldn't ask "why is there mass" in response to the concept of non-massless objects following a curved trajectory in space-time towards other moving masses - so why are you asking "why are there organisms" in response to the concept of organisms that use less energy or are able to use other sources of energy outsurviving other organisms when energy resources are limited?

That's the problem. What are the parameters of life?

That's a much wider question. I wonder if it's even relevant? Neither a mass-death evolution system (such as the one I believe in) or a Divine Creation system (as I infer you to believe in) can make organisms outside those parameters - I think we're agreed on that.

The question is can enough flawed attempts at life produce strong, viable suitable organisms for an environment given enough time/attempts? That's what the clock example is answering.

So, no I didn't try very hard to look for anything specific. I just wanted to see what there was, and I didn't review or carefully check what that website was aiming at. I would have been just as profitable to take an evolution-heavy website to a creationist forum and put up something that refuted the "earth was made in 6 24-hour periods" argument.

A little disappointing to see that you haven't actually answered the question I asked.

However in regard to your reply, no it would not be the same. The science behind the Theory of Evolution comes from the scientific method, its repeatable, its testable and its falsifiable; its also subject to rigorous peer review.

The information from the site you linked to was, simply put, a lie.

They are not the same and at its core this clearly highlights why they do not care equal weight, one is based on an standard that allows anyone who wants to test and review it; the other has no data to back it up, to the point that its proponents are willing to lie to try and discredit the theory of evolution.

So I once again ask, why do you think that is?

Well, I am here on this earth for a reason.

What reason is that?

I have a theory (and I call it that because it is based on my best understanding of well developed technology) that a car can get over 200 mpg. And I know it's possible because it has happened.

But my original idea had some pretty drastic holes in it.

Be more accurate with your language. You had a hypothesis. Your hypothesis was wrong.

But why is there life?

And how did it happen?

Evolution does not and will not ever answer these questions. You might as well complain that the theory of relativity doesn't explain why there is light.

As I've said about three times now, you want abiogenesis. If you want something more than the bare mechanics of how life came to be, then you want philosophy. Science does not answer questions of why beyond cause and effect.

This is a hole that I don't see being filled by evolution.

I'm not saying evolution is wrong. I am merely wondering how to fill this hole. Can we?

I'll spell it out for you. A. B. I. O. G. E. N. E. S. I. S.

Any answer to a "Why" question is ultimately subjective and 100% humane. Only humans can ask them so we can't assert that exists an "absolute" purpose in the universe or for life in general outside us (like "god's purpose").

All other animals apart from us don't ask "why", don't find purpose to their lifes or for the universe (as fas as we know at the moment) and gon't give a damn about it - as 99.9999% of the universe itself.

Last edited:
A little disappointing to see that you haven't actually answered the question I asked.

My reply was to say I was wrong. I did not need to put that up, as it really is irrelevant to this question. It's obvious that this site is trying to say "you're wrong", and I just didn't think far enough into my reason for putting it up. As I also said, it would be the same as an evolutionist going..... Yeah, not good.....

What reason is that?

To learn and be tested.

Be more accurate with your language. You had a hypothesis. Your hypothesis was wrong.

True. And that is what evolution is. Is it wrong? Is it right?

I was right on the fact that it IS possible to build that car.

Evolution is right on the fact that we ARE alive.

What's the middle ground?

Evolution does not and will not ever answer these questions. You might as well complain that the theory of relativity doesn't explain why there is light.

As I've said about three times now, you want abiogenesis. If you want something more than the bare mechanics of how life came to be, then you want philosophy. Science does not answer questions of why beyond cause and effect.

I'll spell it out for you. A. B. I. O. G. E. N. E. S. I. S.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I'm looking for the reason, and evolution doesn't give one. So, at this point, I'll stop following this thread and leave it where it is. My question has been answered well enough that I'm not worried (or willing) to pursue it further because, from this point, it really does get into the abiogenesis problem, and that isn't going to be a pleasant discussion, no matter how decent we are to each other.

So, enjoy what you have, and see you sometime.

My reply was to say I was wrong. I did not need to put that up, as it really is irrelevant to this question. It's obvious that this site is trying to say "you're wrong", and I just didn't think far enough into my reason for putting it up.
Great, but that's not an answer to the question I (twice) asked.

As I also said, it would be the same as an evolutionist going..... Yeah, not good.....
I've already addressed this and no it is not the same.

"They are not the same and at its core this clearly highlights why they do not care equal weight, one is based on an standard that allows anyone who wants to test and review it; the other has no data to back it up, to the point that its proponents are willing to lie to try and discredit the theory of evolution."

It does however raise the question, what is an "evolutionist"?

True. And that is what evolution is
No it is not.

Its a theory, it is not a hypothesis.

Last edited:
To learn and be tested.

And you arrived at this knowledge how?

True. And that is what evolution is. Is it wrong? Is it right?

I was right on the fact that it IS possible to build that car.

Evolution is right on the fact that we ARE alive.

What's the middle ground?

For the love of Pete, read up on the words that you're using. This next bit is stolen shamelessly from elsewhere on the internet:

A theory is a well-established principle that has been developed to explain some aspect of the natural world. A theory arises from repeated observation and testing and incorporates facts, laws, predictions, and tested hypotheses that are widely accepted.

A hypothesis is a specific, testable prediction about what you expect to happen in your study. For example, an experiment designed to look at the relationship between study habits and test anxiety might have a hypothesis that states, "We predict that students with better study habits will suffer less test anxiety."

In your case, you predicted that your particular build of a vehicle would achieve 200mpg. That was a hypothesis. It turned out to be wrong, as the vast majority of hypotheses are. If you're not getting stuff wrong, you're not trying hard enough, in science.

Predicting that it's possible for a vehicle to get 200mpg is barely even a hypothesis if you don't speculate some mechanism by which this might be achieved. That's just wishful thinking, and doesn't get anyone anywhere. It's only helpful if you're going to put your money where your mouth is and explain how it might be done.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I'm looking for the reason, and evolution doesn't give one. So, at this point, I'll stop following this thread and leave it where it is. My question has been answered well enough that I'm not worried (or willing) to pursue it further because, from this point, it really does get into the abiogenesis problem, and that isn't going to be a pleasant discussion, no matter how decent we are to each other.

So, enjoy what you have, and see you sometime.

There's a relevant discussion to be had about abiogenesis, but not if you keep using problems that are explained by abiogenesis as reasons to take shots at evolution. If you want to talk about abiogenesis, then address the points correctly. It's about as close to on topic here as it's going to get, given that the creationist view incorporates both creation and how species evolve (or not) thereafter.

Look, I get testy with you because you ignore it when people give you topics to go read more about. You obviously don't know much about this stuff, which is fine, and it's cool that you're interested, but you can't expect to learn the entire thing just by reading responses on GTPlanet. I get that it can be tough to know where to start, hence why you're being give topics like abiogenesis, becauseI know how easy it is to flail around for hours on Google not knowing the right things to search for. But you actually have to go out and do the reading yourself.

If you're really amazingly bright and have a solid background of science already, you might, maybe, be able to have a halfway decent grasp on what's going on in an evening. Realistically it's probably a few days of solid reading for any normal person. This is how complex modern science is; if you don't know much about biology and genetics then you're going to have to get on Wiki and catch up. It's not hard, you don't need to be a scientist, and there's lots of good explanations and videos out there. And when you get done and there's one or two bits you don't get, someone will be happy to explain.

But you have to do the work first, or else you're going to be asking dumb questions and people will either assume that you're an idiot, a troll, or they'll just start taking cheap shots at you.

If you were going to have a discussion with some racing drivers on the finer points of racing and car setup, you'd probably expect it to go pretty poorly if you didn't know how to drive a car at all. At the very least, you wouldn't expect your opinions to be given much respect, and you could hardly expect the racing drivers to bring you up to speed (ha!) in an afternoon of chatting.

It's no different here. You don't need to have a PhD in genetics, but if you're confused by high school biology then the best thing you can do for everybody is help yourself. And in doing so, you'll actually be giving yourself a fairly good lesson in thinking scientifically. Scientists are attempting to learn something that no one else knows, or at least something that no one else has published yet. Your advantage is that what you want to learn has been published, so the information already exists, but you can still think about it scientifically.

What do you want to learn? If nobody knew that, how would you go about finding that out? If somebody had done that already, where would you find their results and a description of their work? How can you find more information about this part that you don't understand?

Learn to think like that, and you'll find a lot of this making much more sense.

There is no point in people teaching you the "right" answer if you don't understand how to reason your way to it. You're confused by the clock example because you don't understand why someone would design an experiment like that, and what it might actually tell you.

Start with something like Mendelian inheritance and see if you can figure out how he learned what he did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelian_inheritance

Allow yourself to wander and read through Wikipedia with that as a starting point. You'll learn a lot that's likely relevant.

Okay, I will more specifically answer this question: Someone wanted to prove a point and were willing to twist the truth to prove their point. It happens on both both sides by those who call themselves "evolutionists" and can't back it up well, and from "creationists" who can't back it up well. Not all of them are well educated, and I'm not expecting them to be.

Now, I DO have a solid basis for my idea on the car. I posted it on Youtube, but didn't feel it was relevant to this discussion, so I didn't put the video up. If you want to see it, watch this. (And be ready to pause a LOT.):

Okay, I will more specifically answer this question: Someone wanted to prove a point and were willing to twist the truth to prove their point.
Then why did you use it as a source without first making sure it was accurate?

It happens on both both sides by those who call themselves "evolutionists" and can't back it up well, and from "creationists" who can't back it up well. Not all of them are well educated, and I'm not expecting them to be.
First 'evolutionist' (and the similar 'darwinist') are made up terms used almost exclusively by creationists and ID proponents as a term of semi-abuse.

And to get around 'making stuff up' science has the scientific method, as such the Theory of Evolution (and not made up -ists) doesn't make things up. It consists of well tested, peer reviewed facts.

Creationism and ID doesn't use the scientific method and as such is simply a series of unsupported (by fact and method) claims. Worryingly this seems to be a trait you are displaying.

Then why did you use it as a source without first making sure it was accurate?

As I said, I really didn't think through WHY I was putting it up. After I was (appropriately) chastised, I thought about it and realized that I don't really want to continue. Or say anything so far off again.

So, I'm not going to continue now that I have reasonably apologized, and will leave everything as is from here.

Back