Simroom VR3 R36, D-Box 4250i Motion, Simsteering, Precision Engineering Wheels, HE Ultimate Pedals

• Thread starter readyfe
  • 188 comments
Triples look very nice on your rig, the monitor stand came out great!

The whole thing looks very integrated design-wise.

Very nice! 👍

Triples look very nice on your rig, the monitor stand came out great!
The whole thing looks very integrated design-wise.
Very nice! 👍

Thanks mate. Having Dad back and his help and welding skills sure makes all the difference.

Did the final bit of cable clean up tonight.. Much better.
Now some rubber flooring to clean things a little and not touching it for a long time (I've said that before).

actually one last thing.. Am going to replace the seat frame with a home made steel fabricated one. The gamepod ones flex (the ones with the 3 holes), so will make a rectangular cube frame that will bolt onto the motion platform and side components of the rig, and mount the seat (using existing seat side mount and rails). - THEN IM DONE.

Last edited:
As per the request of a few members here's a quick 5 min video of the set up.

There's some rattles etc which are not applicable when an extra 100kg's is sitting in the seat but as you can imagine with no one in it the vibrations and rattles come a live more than with me in it.

Enjoy & Merry Christmas..!

If the embedded version doesn't work, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrAJplSzII

Last edited:
Good stuff readyfe 👍! Couple questions, is that a 4 or 5 point harness? Does it help with the immersion factor with Dbox?

What angle do you have your monitors at?

5 Point Harness... It was originally 4 Point but the buckle raised up a bit, a few other guys with motion have said the same thing. The crotch strap really helps keep the buckle down low.

Regarding a harness, if you've ever done track days or clubsprints you'll know the difference between the normal seat belt and harness. It's the same with this. I find it much better with motion as your body doesn't compensate with the movements, you're locked in and feel all the effects..

The question on angles... no set angle. I've searched and read and downloaded excel files that show you what angle based on what distance......... well - mine is adjusted based what feels good. It's probably something I need to adjust but as far as I know iRacing is the only sim that you can set in the software the angle etc. rFactor and rF2 and pCARS dont adjust in settings so it's just a matter of what works for me..

I've currently been talking quite a bit with VisionRacer and working out a VR3 with the VR Motion Platform and the Wheel Deck that Mayaman showed in another thread.

And because of this, I'd like to share my little journey of how the passion (addiction) grew and the stages I went through... It actually started once I stopped wasting money on real cars and diverted it into a hobby that keeps me at home and offers the same challenges on the track without the maintenance and repair bill.

My eldest daughter helping me drive an old version of F1 on PS2 & my trusted Logitech Driving Force Pro
62887815.jpg

Finally the upgrade to some serious gear, didn't last long once I saw the T500 F1 wheel come out - had to have!
98703214.jpg

and here it is.. worked great on the Rennsport Wheel Stand, still PS3 and in the home...
26259563.jpg

Kicked out to the garage, basic office projector and with the space, things started getting serious...
93764398.jpg

Finally GamePod arrived after a long delay, 1080p projector - loving life, then got introduced to PC racing....
99510232.jpg

Consolidated all my gear from my home office, PS3, PC, Receiver etc
60179565.jpg

and "for now" the final product... and been enjoying it heaps..!
73471657.jpg

With my wife expecting our third I am looking at bringing the rig back into the home which means simplifying things to just a rig (still with d-box & DSD shifter) and triple screen, PC & headphones. It's a few months away but waiting on some new things that are not yet released and another item which is possibly 'batch ver2' being built.

Exciting times ahead!

Last edited:
congratulations on the expected child Fred :D

Yes Congrats bud!

Thank you Gents..!

Now to convince the wife to let the rig in the house - hence the choice for VR3 - there's not many rigs that are "Wifey Approved"

The HR rig is nice too, but with the 220v ACM's (control modules for D-Box) they're twice the size of the US version and can't be tucked away - but with the VisionRacer platform they're hidden and no cables visible.

Well I've had a little plan to design a dashboard for my T500, but really can be used for any wheel with the right holes pre-drilled and a possible future design that would include a slider for adjusting the width, either way this was a static build for my wheel. So these can run either off their own BBI-32 board or in my case will wire it to my SLI-Pro. Each side will have 2 x 12 Position Rotary Switches, 1 x 3 Way Switch (L/R/Push) and 5 x Push Button Switches... So that is each side.

So the idea was to not have to worry about "how to mount" the button box - it just sits between the base and wheel, works even with the mounting clamp too for easy 'wheelstand' mounting...

Nothing soldered, just arrived today (by my Dad). Should start up a company called "Dads Sim Mods" (DSM) :) He made it out of a long strip of 3mm thick mild steel, 75mm wide.

Well here it is:

20130223122035.jpg

20130223122906.jpg

20130223122953.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing soldered, just arrived today (by my Dad). Should start up a company called "Dads Sim Mods" (DSM) :) He made it out of a long strip of 3mm thick mild steel, 75mm wide.

Wow! :drool: I am sure they would sell! Awesome job!

Ingenious, secured between wheel deck and wheel's base using wheel base's mounting holes.
Has your fellow Aussie Hwangm seen it yet?

I want one too! 👍 👍

Just saw this :drool::drool::drool::bowdown::bowdown:
looks very very solid , the placement of it is very very nice and close, I had that in mind since I first got SLI-PRO with GT3RS, you've just made it reality.
well done readyFe
beautifully executed

I should ask Dad to put these into production, just raw plates... DIY dashboards :)
They're pretty simple to make - with the right materials I guess.

Even a way with a base plate full width and the ones that rise are L's which overlap with countersunk holes and bolt together so no welding needed, pretty simple. I can give my very crappy drawings if anyone wants.

20130223191613.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice cockpit indeed.
It must be a lot of fun playing with a setup like yours.

The D-box 4250i is AFAIK a 3DOF (pitch, roll and heave), not a 4DOF.

Very nice cockpit indeed.
It must be a lot of fun playing with a setup like yours.

The D-box 4250i is AFAIK a 3DOF (pitch, roll and heave), not a 4DOF.

Never seen spoiler text before.. 100% 4250i is the 4 Actuator model mate.

It is fun, it's part of the experience now...

readyfe
Well I've had a little plan to design a dashboard for my T500, but really can be used for any wheel with the right holes pre-drilled and a possible future design that would include a slider for adjusting the width, either way this was a static build for my wheel. So these can run either off their own BBI-32 board or in my case will wire it to my SLI-Pro. Each side will have 2 x 12 Position Rotary Switches, 1 x 3 Way Switch (L/R/Push) and 5 x Push Button Switches... So that is each side.

So the idea was to not have to worry about "how to mount" the button box - it just sits between the base and wheel, works even with the mounting clamp too for easy 'wheelstand' mounting...

Well here it is:

I'm very keen on this dash Fred, would your old boy consider making me one?

Looks fantastic btw.....

Last edited:
Never seen spoiler text before.. 100% 4250i is the 4 Actuator model mate.

It is fun, it's part of the experience now...
Hi mate

I think that you don't know the difference between the actuators and DOF (degrees of freedom). The 4250i is a 3DOF, not a 4DOF. Because it has 4 actuators, it doesn't mean it is 4DOF.

Roll, pitch and heave are 3DOF's, not 4 like you mentioned. You need at least sway, surge or yaw to have 4DOF's

;)

D-Box
The ultimate motion experience is delivered by these 4 actuators. Experience the full spectrum of motion in its best rendering: pitch, roll, heave and intelligent vibrations while watching a movie or playing a game. The 4250i Actuator Kit can be integrated into large single seating or a loveseat from one of D-BOX’s OEM Partners and can be adapted to various other seatings. D-BOX’s motion actuators allow for ease of integration and low maintenance.

Hi mate

I think that you don't know the difference between the actuators and DOF (degrees of freedom). The 4250i is a 3DOF, not a 4DOF. Because it has 4 actuators, it doesn't mean it is 4DOF.

Roll, pitch and heave are 3DOF's, not 4 like you mentioned. You need at least sway, surge or yaw to have 4DOF's

;)

I will update my references to the correct one.

All good :)

So with the help of my good friend Marcus who is a Soldering Legend, I've been able to finish off probably the best addition of secondary buttons and switches... The original SRH design had two buttons which were useless as you can't manage the SLI-Pro unless you have rotary switches.

With this dash I have everything right at my fingertips and in my line of sight. I know toggles and switches could've been added but I'm not really into switches. I have them on my RMK box and never used them. I much prefer my rotary switches and buttons..

I've also been able to reduce one USB cable as I won't be needing the RMK box anymore and this dash runs off the SLI-Pro.

I will look to buy / make rear enclosures to clean it up a little but hey, on the driver’s side it looks clean to me :)

Anyway, as usual here are the pics.

20130228172332.jpg

20130228172337.jpg

20130228172353.jpg

Definitely my favourite picture:
20130228185948.jpg

That dash plate is freaking inspired man. You need to make those before someone else beats you to it!

Well, good news guys (preferably Aussies) my Dad's got a sheet of 2mm galvanised steel and has worked out he can make about 4 of these dashboards. Again, they'll be hand made and customised to your requirements with the quantity of holes and sizes of the holes per your request. Holes need to be drilled before welding.

He will weld supports around the whole upright parts meaning it will have supports all the way round the button area with only the back exposed.

Price is $100 each for pick up, $130 delivered Australia wide (Registered post) and normal sea freight is around $50 to the US and that's not registered so probably not worth it....

They'll be painted matte black, bubble wrapped and boxed. I can also supply the cable management wrap (requires a hot knife which I've got and can cut required lengths if need be up to 1 metre, more is available at additional cost). I will test the fitting on my rig to make sure all mounting holes for T500 fit perfectly.

If there's interest in other brands let me know as it's easier for Dad to work with one set of plans.

Please remember, my father is a retired welder and very particular about his work. He suggested it to me to offer it to you so he doesn't need to do this, this is not even covering his time and materials but will keep him busy over the week.

I will leave the post here for a week and post on iRacing but give my mates at gtplanet first dibs.

Thanks, Fred
p.s. this does not include a board or any buttons and rotary switches. I can direct you to eBay where I got my gear (apart from the Leo Bodnar bits which I purchased from his website).

p.s.s. No doubt these will be better than mine, as Dad always does it better round two and as it's a large sheet the base will be one size rather than two 75mm lengths welded together..

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back