Dale Earnhardt Jr about iracing.com and his love for online racing.

• Thread starter StrokerAce
  • 9 comments
PpR_Junkyardspec or GTP_Junkyardspec
PpR Junkyard
http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/opinion/06/05/splash.go.rswan.dearnhardtjr.online.racing/index.html

For years we've known drivers to use virtual racing or video games as a tool to improve on-track performance, familiarize rookies with tracks they've never seen before, or help some veterans re-learn the nuances of an old track.

But to understand why or how online simulation racing can keep Dale Earnhardt Jr. glued to a computer monitor for hours on end you must know the culture of the online racing community.

You must know that this is more than just a game. Game is actually considered a four-letter word to these racers who view online simulation racing nothing short of a professional Internet sport.

Hardcore sim racers know the intricacies of setting up a stock car for optimum speed. They practice often, appreciate the realistic laser-scanned recreations of on-track racing, and invest in special software and services.

Bottom line: It ain't Mario Kart, or for posers looking for a demolition derby.

Depending on the online venue, the competition level will give novice racers a quick reality check as they learn proven Sprint Cup Series drivers are there to play, not as guest stars or fake avatars -- but as themselves looking to hone their skills.

"If you see Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the race, I'm the only one out there," said Earnhardt, a member of iRacing, the virtual racing creators who recently partnered with NASCAR to release a NASCAR-sanctioned online racing series set to be released next January. "In iRacing you have to use the name on the credit card you use to purchase the software. So basically if you use your mother's credit card you're going to race under her name."

It will be conducted like an official NASCAR series, featuring digital duplicates of real-word NASCAR machines and tracks in the most realistic racing environment created to date, said Steve Potter, spokesperson for iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations.

Earnhardt is the company's ambassador and for the last five years has helped to develop the system and software. He's not getting paid a dime. He is only interested in creating a quality product with credibility among racers.

"I've been an alpha and beta tester for the company before it was available to the public and I have a direct line to the top of the heap at iRacing so I feed those guys my input on how it should look and feel," he said. "They've allowed me to be a big part of bringing NASCAR and iRacing together and I've been involved since the beginning so I'm a pretty good asset in building it. I try to give them the best advice I can. I love being a part of it because it is a passion of mine, one of my favorite hobbies. I just love it and want it to be good."

Earnhardt has been simulation racing for at least 15 years and is described by the experts as being one of the most hardcore racers online today.

"When I first started online racing it was 1994," Earnhardt said. "I was still a kid and doing kid things so playing video games came natural. It was really the first true video game that came to NASCAR that I started playing on the computer and it just went from there."

The competition, including professional racers as well as novice racers, has grown over the years, but not enough for Earnhardt.

"There is no one that can give me a run for my money," he said.

One might assume Earnhardt has Hendrick Motorsports-caliber online racing equipment to give him an advantage over the competition, some of whom are the same men he competes against every Sunday.

"My equipment is nothing that the average Joe couldn't pick up or buy," Earnhardt said. "I'm just sitting at a desk with a computer racing online. It's funny because we all take pictures of our setups and me and my other buddies I race with send them to each other and they're expecting me to send them this picture of a lavish, almost full-scale race car with a roll cage and a monitor in it. It's just a normal desk, nothing special about it."

The driver simply grabs a drink, turns on his 42-inch plasma television, and settles in for hours of racing.

The only real addition to his setup outside of the traditional steering wheel mount and pedal: "I have a mini-fridge right next to the desk so I don't have to get up and go get a drink," Earnhardt laughed. "It is a pretty lazy activity to be honest with you and it's one of my favorite hobbies."

And like in real-world racing, online racers talk plenty of trash. The iRacing software allows the racers to communicate back and forth during the race.

"There's a lot of smack talk going on, a lot of guys helping each other, clearing each other. There always somebody talking during the race," Earnhardt said. "I can't really get overboard because I'm on the competition committee [for iRacing] so I can't be too dirty or they get on my butt a little bit. I have to act professional when I'm in there, but I don't mind."

The level of professionalism is another aspect, in addition to the realistic graphics, that Earnhardt enjoys on iRacing. Not just anyone can hop on and floor it.

"It takes a lot of practice to get good at it," he said. "A lot of people find it overly challenging. The cars, you have to set them up like real race cars, so you have to know a lot about a real race car's setup and the variables you can change and how they work to make them go fast in iRacing. That whole experience is overwhelming to a lot of people but it just takes practice just like anything else. The more you do it the better you'll get."

Beginners can cut there teeth at places like Degree V12 Challenge where Earnhardt and his Nationwide Series driver Brad Keselowski guide online racers to prizes as part of a sponsor promotion for NASCAR fans.

His Degree sponsor recognizes the online marketplace is expanding and attracting a diverse group of followers, including women and young people. It's no longer just for the folks who couldn't afford to go real-life racing.

Now, for the cost of your phone bill, the average NASCAR fan can wheel a stock car at 150 mph around the tri-oval at Pocono or the high banks of Daytona just like the heroes they watch on television.

For Earnhardt, the main attraction is being able to get online any time of the day and have fun racing with other people that enjoy it as much as he does. Not many distractions can pull the racer away from his computer once the racing begins.

"Sleep depravation sometimes can pull me away," Earnhardt laughed. "Hunger may pull me away depending on how hungry I am. Obviously dehydration could pull me away, but that is what the mini-fridge is for. Those are about the only things."

The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer.

Don't even get me started on iracing, the whole GTR2 community has buggered off to it, abandoning GTR2 operations :irked:

I refuse to pay a monthly subscription to play a game, sorry wrong idea imo. I honestly don't care if it is 'the best' realistic game out there and better than GT as some believe, I buy a game once, not over my lifetime /rant :grumpy:

Jerome

Sorry dude but there are a lot more realistic games than GT. PC race sims are where it's at for full immersion.

Not $$$iracing$$$ though...

I refuse to pay a monthly subscription to play a game, sorry wrong idea imo. I honestly don't care if it is 'the best' realistic game out there and better than GT as some believe, I buy a game once, not over my lifetime /rant :grumpy:

Jerome

I can see where you're coming from, but if you were a racecar driver the experience you would get from running this is invaluable.
IIRC, it was created as a driver training tool in the first place, just became bigger over time. (Shame there's no dedicated pit stop practice, Jr could really use it.)

From,
Chris.

Well if I had the funds available like Jr. does then it wouldn't matter. But I have played a few different PC sim games and they are loads of fun and the guys you race with online are always nicer than in GT5P :P Now if it really was that great and offered a lifetime membership of a couple hundred bucks, I might consider it. I'd have to change the name on my credit card to 'Jump_Ace' then :lol:

Jerome

Back