DD and friends: new video! Drifting, for real.

• Thread starter Suzuki
  • 135 comments
United States
Memphis, Tn
LayNLow
This is the first, but deff. not the last video you will see from me in GT5 Prologue. Just me drifting a few different cars, getting the feel for everything.

Feel free to post comments or questions.
After the new patch comes out and I get US version prologue, I will post up more videos as I feel the need or want to.
Heres the link for those of you who want to rate and comment on it on youtube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XVQFWu68de4

April 3rd video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAO43PbSt0k
Bee and I just having fun drifting online at london track.

Newest video:

This one was recorded at the begning of the month I think, been busy so I havent been able to edit it until recently.
Enjoy.

SEDA/TO Nashville drift event 9.20.08
No I did not participate due to lack of tires for the event. But here it is, so Enjoy.

Upgraded to HD, New vid:

Drifting... For real.

New video

Last edited:
I wish PD would add more dynamic to the tire screeching sound. That same damn squeal gets a little irritating. Needs more life to it.

Nice one, im still learning drifting so still suck at it, will post a video most likey when i actually learn how to do it

great drifting suziki may i ask what tyres you use and ffb strengh, also theres another wheel setting you can set to amateur,simulation and something else. what are you using? and have you got active steering on?

thanks

good effort..one of the most controlled drifting vids ive watched so far, especially down the straght at suzuka. How do you find the difference between cars, with regards to feel, technique & dynamics.?

im a pretty compitent grip racer..practicingm my drifiting, its annoying when you spin off the track and it takes you 10mins to get back on..stoopid traction control.

very nice drifting, my respect. I so wanted to do a video too, but I so suck at drifting :-(, I am only good at grip driving, and with my studies I don't have so much time to devote practicing drifting :-(

Very, very nice vid! I wish i could drift like that... I find it really hard to drift nice in GT5p. I can get almost what ever i get my hands on sideways irl, but it just seems so damn hard in the game. I guess it's all down to practice and maybe i should try something different than the F40. :D

@suzuki

Really great driving/drifting. As already posted i would really like to know about your Setup/Tyre-Configuration.

It would also be interesting to hear wether you use the standard-Controller or a steering-wheel (and if it´s a steering wheel: Which one ???)

I started my first drift-activities yesterday with my logitech-driving-force-pro but i think the reaction-time with the wheel is just too slow ? What do you think ?

I´ll give it another try this evening and then i will switch off the force-feedback to speed up my Reactions.

great drifting suziki may i ask what tyres you use and ffb strengh, also theres another wheel setting you can set to amateur,simulation and something else. what are you using? and have you got active steering on?

thanks
Sure thing. Tires... I think I used N3 for the TVR, N2 for the Z, BMW, and NSX, and N1 for the Mustang(And it still understeers!) I like to stay with N2 and N2 mainly, but the Mustang was a special case. I always use the same tire on the front and rear. Mixing does not help when learning to drift. FFB strength is set to 10, and I use a DFP, so the wheel setting does not apply to me. It is only for the wheels with 180* steering only. Active steering and power steering are both off.

good effort..one of the most controlled drifting vids ive watched so far, especially down the straght at suzuka. How do you find the difference between cars, with regards to feel, technique & dynamics.?

im a pretty compitent grip racer..practicingm my drifiting, its annoying when you spin off the track and it takes you 10mins to get back on..stoopid traction control.
It just takes trial and error to figure out what car likes what. If it wants to understeer, I get rough with it and just throw it into corners like you saw with the Mustang in the video. You just have to experment with every car and see what suits you and it the best. In GT4 my team drifted online together... a LOT, the only way to do so was with Xlink Kai through LAN race. So the only thing you can change is AIDS which are all set to 0, and tires which doesn't let you change them from front to back. So we had no choice to mix tires even if we wanted to which we never have but you get my point. So for us to get good we had to drift stock cars, learn each car and experment. Same thing here. It took us a while to build up the skill we have in GT4, and it will be the same way with GT5. Although we have a hand up in that because we have experience tandem drifting with each other online with a wide variety of cars from stock S2k's to the D1GP cars which were a blast to drift. And yes, I HATE the grass/dirt on here too!! Makes me learn quick to stay out of it if i want to keep drifting. :P

i would say very good drifting keep at it but you are good already
Thanks, but I have a lot of learning to do if I want to get to the skill level I was at in GT4. One thing that needs work is consistancy.

Very, very nice vid! I wish i could drift like that... I find it really hard to drift nice in GT5p. I can get almost what ever i get my hands on sideways irl, but it just seems so damn hard in the game. I guess it's all down to practice and maybe i should try something different than the F40. :D
Thanks. And really, start out with a lower powered car to learn the proper techniques and learn to really use them with low power. It will help tremendously when you go for the higher powered cars. Just keep practicing and don't give up and you will get better.

👍
Lay,
Great vid and drift linking display. It's the beginning ...
Drift Dojo.

Thanks B, now I have to make another vid since the update is out now. It is the beginning of things to come...
DD

ok some good old drift guys are back i think...now lets live some good old gt3+4 times then....

Back? We never left! Nice to see another familiar face around these parts. Hope to see you online sometime. If you have a PS3/Prologue that is.

@suzuki

Really great driving/drifting. As already posted i would really like to know about your Setup/Tyre-Configuration.

It would also be interesting to hear wether you use the standard-Controller or a steering-wheel (and if it´s a steering wheel: Which one ???)

I started my first drift-activities yesterday with my logitech-driving-force-pro but i think the reaction-time with the wheel is just too slow ? What do you think ?

I´ll give it another try this evening and then i will switch off the force-feedback to speed up my Reactions.

Look up for the tires and setup, and I use Logitech's Driving Force Pro. I agree, the wheel doesnt center like it would with a real car, you just have to manually spin it around when you go to transitions. As you practice more you will understand what I mean by throwing it around. ;) I would not suggest switching FFB off as it gives a great deal of feedback that you cannot feel with it unplugged. The feedback it gives it about the only way you can really tell whats going on with the car here.

Thanks again to everyone who commented, viewed and rated! Keep them coming! Anymore questions feel free to post, I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks, but I have a lot of learning to do if I want to get to the skill level I was at in GT4. One thing that needs work is consistancy.
Hmm i don't think YOU have to learn but maybe a litle "used to" eh? ;) Excellent drifter as always....
Back? We never left! Nice to see another familiar face around these parts. Hope to see you online sometime. If you have a PS3/Prologue that is.
Oh Glad you told it!!'Couse the familiar "good old drifters"(you Know who you are!!:sly:)they dont appear in the forums so often and some olmost never,and i though that good old days never will come back...:(
Im close to buy the PS3+GT5pro+G25 so i think we will tandem very soon my friend!!:):sly::):dopey:

The mustang has the old same "bug" like GT4 with the understeer eh?
XMM...:crazy:

Well, it is a new game with new physics and everything, so I do have some learning to do. I need to get a G25 so I can utilize clutch kick and shift locks while drifting. I never really drifted the Mustang in GT4 but it does have understeer. Being "american muscle" it sure as heck doesn't feel like it has any muscle at all.

Well, it is a new game with new physics and everything, so I do have some learning to do. I need to get a G25 so I can utilize clutch kick and shift locks while drifting. I never really drifted the Mustang in GT4 but it does have understeer. Being "american muscle" it sure as heck doesn't feel like it has any muscle at all.

I think that G25 is highly reccomended... to pull the most out of drifting in that game it can been done with out it...Clutch kicks and shift locks are reality now eh?Hmm..:D
I think you re right about mustang...as i remember from gt4..
a buggy bad drift car:yuck: powerless and too difficult for big smooth drifts..:rolleyes:

I'm still at Level 1 in drifting. :( I think I enjoy more of racing then drifting.

REally great video, can't wait to see more :)

Do you use 'Standard' or 'professional' physics? I currently use 'professional' mode but I'm still unsure as to which option I should use when racing/drifitng. Standard' seems to feel most like GT4, though.

So Suzuki...how do you like the new drifting mode? I'm loving it so far. Just got myself a ER34 and all I can say is WOW.

thanks for info much appreciated suziki. one final thing, could not make it out by your comment but do you use 180 degrees steering?

Yepp !!! Thanks for your explanations Suzuki !!!

I was really surprised to hear that you are using same tyres front/rear. And i was even more surprised to hear that you are doing these unbelievable drifts with exactly my Equipment (DFP).

Now i don´t like you anymore :)

Please stop posting your vids immediatly :scared:

Just kiddin....!

It´s off-topic for sure, but yesterday i realized the very nice Time-Race-Ranking-Function.

I drove with the BMW 130 Tii in Suzuka (the Track i like most in Prologue) just for fun and after finishing first lap i realized the message about Ranking-Position 5 in the online Rankings. Didn´t even know, these Time-Laps would automatically be tranferred into the online-Rankings. Then i improved and got to position 3. I like this function cause the online Races are normally dominated by unfair "bumper-car-drivers without Brakes". In this Function you can easily compare your abilities with other gamers in a "fair way". So maybe my drifting-efforts have to wait now, cause i need to improve in this fine ranking-function !

thanks for info much appreciated suziki. one final thing, could not make it out by your comment but do you use 180 degrees steering?
Man, I missed a lot of things as far as settings go haha.
I use 900* steering

Yepp !!! Thanks for your explanations Suzuki !!!

I was really surprised to hear that you are using same tyres front/rear. And i was even more surprised to hear that you are doing these unbelievable drifts with exactly my Equipment (DFP).

Now i don´t like you anymore :)

Please stop posting your vids immediatly :scared:

Just kiddin....!

It´s off-topic for sure, but yesterday i realized the very nice Time-Race-Ranking-Function.

I drove with the BMW 130 Tii in Suzuka (the Track i like most in Prologue) just for fun and after finishing first lap i realized the message about Ranking-Position 5 in the online Rankings. Didn´t even know, these Time-Laps would automatically be tranferred into the online-Rankings. Then i improved and got to position 3. I like this function cause the online Races are normally dominated by unfair "bumper-car-drivers without Brakes". In this Function you can easily compare your abilities with other gamers in a "fair way". So maybe my drifting-efforts have to wait now, cause i need to improve in this fine ranking-function !
There are still cheaters in the rankings. People cutting corners, wall riding, etc. Sorry to say but it will be hard to regulate the rankings.

So Suzuki...how do you like the new drifting mode? I'm loving it so far. Just got myself a ER34 and all I can say is WOW.
I have never liked the "Drift Mode" ever since I heard of it. I have said it before, but I will say it again. A computer cannot judge drifting like a real human judge can. The game will judge it on what it thinks "looks" the best, but it cannot judge style. There is a big difference in just coming up to a turn, slowing way down and initiating a drift and just going all out, super early entries, manjiing, line, speed, angle, transitions, and just "hitting" the corner the way it was ment to be done. I will just stick to drifting on time trials or online with my team.

Back