Diablo 3, coming May 15th. I'm torn, Kaz, will you rescue me?

• Thread starter Lambob
  • 278 comments
Kaz, if GT5 remains in its current state, with lackluster A-Spec, and no expansion in sight, I'm afraid it will be curtains (for a while) as Diablo 3 is coming.

I know, I'll probably play both, but I'll be all over my PC once again, after a long neglected time.

I'll just play borderlands instead. (Its the same concept, just with scifi-y stuff added in.) (Shocking Bastard FTW)

Mr. S
It's amazing that people register on GTP just to get a Diablo 3 guest pass code. That'll generate some visits at least. Sent out what I had, check your PMs to see if you've been lucky.

Thanks a lot. It is pretty funny 4 people registered for that. I wonder if a Google search turned up your post? I'll be installing it tonight when I get home.

Wondering what that Google was...

"How to get Diablo 3 for free" ?:lol:

Level 20 monk here, even with the random framerate slowdowns this game is just so much fun. 👍

Has anyone else noticed that their system ran the Beta alot better then the full release? I could max out the Beta on my laptop and now have to run it with everything at the minimum settings :(

I'm experiencing huge framerate drops that are completely random. Sometimes they even occur when I smash something as simple as a wooden box.

Apparently, if you been playing the Beta before the full game, you have to totally uninstall the Beta before installing the full game for it to run cleanly.

They are both options in Gameplay. They add a bit more information and control back to the game, which my group was complaining about as well. Mostly the part where it wasn't telling you how skills modified damage, speed, etc. which advanced tool tips enables.

Ok yea that helps a lot. I still don't feel like the character is really customized, since it's the equivalent of any other character of the same class and level, just with different equipment. But still, it's a big improvement to be able to map any of the skills.

How much magic find do you use?

Ok yea that helps a lot. I still don't feel like the character is really customized, since it's the equivalent of any other character of the same class and level, just with different equipment. But still, it's a big improvement to be able to map any of the skills.

How much magic find do you use?

I'm only running a few % right now, mostly because I am trying to not die in Nightmare mode, which is actually hard I'm finding.

What is interesting is I've never run into a Wizard that is using the same skills as me, even when exactly the same level.

That is interesting. I'm running a monk right now, and finding that I really like a particular skill combination, but I don't care much for many of the others. Maybe that'll change when I unlock some of the others. I'm only level 20.

Playing a monk I just can't manage to stay away from Dashing Strike for button 2. Cyclone strike is awesome with so many creeps, but I still think Dashing Strike is by far the best ability to dodge enemy abilities or to catch those pesky treasure hunters.

Playing a monk I just can't manage to stay away from Dashing Strike for button 2. Cyclone strike is awesome with so many creeps, but I still think Dashing Strike is by far the best ability to dodge enemy abilities or to catch those pesky treasure hunters.

This is why elective mode is nice, you can have both.

At one point I was using 3 Defensive skills (slot 1 by default) with my Wizards and two Conjugation skills.

And from what I've seen, flat damage and attack speed modifiers are more important than primary stat boosts

Final note at the moment - Normal mode is very, very easy in my opinion. However, Nightmare is decently hard and Hell mode is "omg wtf why I die so fast?"

I have died tons of times in normal mode so far. Playing Act III, there seem to be some places where creeps come so suddenly, and with TONS of them.

Had my first uninterupted time to play last night, really enjoyed it. I'm playing a barbarian right now, but part of me feels like starting over with a wizard. The only downside is that my mac has trouble runnimg it, frame rate dips and I have to be a pretty low resolution.

I was playing with a couple friends who were a higher level, so they ran me through act 1, I'm planning on playing it over again myself tonight and tomorrow to level up some more

Last edited:
I picked the game up last Friday and started playing on Sunday. I have not played a tremendous amount. On Sunday, I spent about 45 minutes each playing a Barbarian, Monk, Wizard, and Demon Hunter to try and get a feel for each class.

My highest level character is a Level 12 Wizard. I still have not decided on which class I am going to primarily focus on. I am enjoying the Wizard more now with a few more abilities and better gear, but the Demon Hunter was pretty fun from the beginning. Barbarian gave me the same impression as Wizard, i.e. with a few more abilities, the class would be more enjoyable. Monk was a similar experience to Demon Hunter compared to Barbarian.

This is why elective mode is nice, you can have both.

At one point I was using 3 Defensive skills (slot 1 by default) with my Wizards and two Conjugation skills.

And from what I've seen, flat damage and attack speed modifiers are more important than primary stat boosts

Final note at the moment - Normal mode is very, very easy in my opinion. However, Nightmare is decently hard and Hell mode is "omg wtf why I die so fast?"

I've been leveling a bit on Normal mode doing Azmodan runs before proceeding to act IV. I think I hit level 34 last night. I agree with the flat damage modifiers. Rubies FTW.

At this point I can do an Azmo run pretty quickly entirely left handed (to give my right hand a break). So I've been trying to take advantage of that. I'll move on to act IV shortly. I have high hopes.

Holy smokes, level 34 before Act IV? Dang, I think I was level 29 when we got to Diablo in Normal.

What class are you playing again?

I just beat Diablo on level 32 normal mode. Only 4 Acts... Son. I am dissapoint.

Oh well, guess I'll go through all the same once more with monsters that hit harder :indiff:

There were only 4 acts in Diablo II. This isn't exactly anything new :P

And I'd say these acts are longer than those as well. Not exactly like Normal mode is the main reason for replaying the game or anything anyhow. Though I am going to see how low of a level I can finish Normal in. Doing fairly well mid-way into Act 2 at level 15 or so.

Wow, this thread has picked up some steam, it seems. Nice!

Well, I've been playing quitte a bit of Diablo III lately, as all of my friends do. So, we spend the last two weekends playing. Right now, I'm quite pleased with the game, aside from kinda picking the wrong class in the beginning. Got through all of Normal, Nightmare and Hell pretty easily with my Barbarian, but I'm getting curb stomped on Inferno.

I'm currently leveling a Demon Hunter as a secondary charakter and I can't fathom how much easier that is, compared to my Barb. So, yeah, that's my only complaint, right now. If Blizzard gets around to balancing the classes a bit better (I'm sure they will), it'll be even more fun.

Barbs are starting to become a solid pick for solo'ing Inferno, from what I am seeing. Hell, my friend with a Demon Hunter is considering making a Barb next for handling Inferno.

The reality is all classes get stomped by Inferno unless you spend some time finding items via the Auction House or slowly and patiently farm a bit of A1 in Inferno till you get better gear. My group of friends completely Hell without much trouble, but the jump to Inferno isn't something you can just start up and expect to make immediate progress on.

Yeah, I know that Inferno isn't supposed to be played through just like that. But after playing a Barb with Hell gear in Inferno Act 1 and playing a Demon Hunter with Hell gear in Inferno Act 1 (after the SS nerf, by the way), I can assure that there is still a huge gap between them. Not the kind of wtf-godmode-gap there was prior to the SS nerf, but still.

Either that, or playing StarCraft II and League of Legends taught me to avoid damage well enough if I have the means to do so - which is far more likely for a DH than it is for a Barb. I'm not saying that other classes are facerolling Inferno (anymore), but in comparison, they do seem much easier still. Because, honestly, I doubt that I've got the sort of gosu micro that would make the DH such a better pick for me ;)

But, be that as it may, I fully intend on leveling all classes to 60 eventually and I am in no hurry to finish Inferno - especially since the balance seems to be up in the entirely, right now. Which is hardly suprising. Given that Blizzard never really finished Inferno themselves, they're probably pretty clueless about what players shouldn't be able to do and what they need to be able to do to finish that mode.

Ah, another League of Legends player! :dopey:

Add Fist of Thor in-game 👍

My Brolaf, let me show you him.

On-topic:

I love the amount of self-sustain that the monk class has. My friend plays a wizard and he died a few times on Diablo normal to try and figure out how to beat Diablo best. With my monk I just stood punching Diablo the entire time, regenerating life through hits and building up spirit. Only thing I had to do was to kite Diablo's shadow binds. Other than that, it was a breeze.

Last edited:
Ready to throw in the towel currently on my level 60 Wizard because Inferno isn't fun at all to get through. Reading up on what other players are experiencing, and there are other Wizards with arguably best in slot gear already getting one shot to monsters in Act II and beyond. It's a bit absurd, and i'm probably going to wait for Blizzard to tone down the difficulty. I understand Inferno should be really challenging, but dying through no fault of your own, non-stop, isn't very fun.

The people beating it are having to use some pretty cheesy tactics to avoid everything, the Inferno bosses are pretty easy, it's the elite/champion packs that are near impossible to kill. So you can't really farm inferno, which is the entire point.

For comparison, my Wizard is 19,600+ damage, and over 36,000 health, and that's not enough at all to comfortably get through Act I.

I got a Monk through normal mode though, and that was a lot of fun, and now i'm working on a Demon Hunter. The Auction House has been amazing in this area, being able to gear up your characters very quickly makes the experience go a lot faster and smoother.

Other then that, game is incredible, and worth the long wait. There are a lot of bugs though, but I don't hold that against Blizzard, Diablo II was just as bad in that area. At least D3 doesn't have a number of glitches that can delete your characters, like D2 had at launch.

i think as a ranged class you really need to play to the point of not getting hit, and if you can't kill fast enough your gear isnt good enough. A Wizard was the first person to clear the game (though the class got nerfed since).

I just completed inferno on a barbarion and my gear is fairly decent and I just get crushed by some of those champion/elite monsters. The gear you need to successfully solo inferno act 2 onwards is near being decked out in the best gear in the game.

I'm loving the game so far, though I have to say it is a short game, I expected it to be much larger than Diablo 2 but it really isnt, its the same at best. The gear seems random too, those Legendary items are worse than the rares and magics, makes no sense to me.

For comparison, my Wizard is 19,600+ damage, and over 36,000 health, and that's not enough at all to comfortably get through Act I.

I can comfortably handle Act 1 Inferno (doing Butcher runs at 5 stacks) at 24,000+ damage and ~20,000 hp. What skills are you using, and do your boots have faster movement? The boots help immensely in handling things, as does having a Follower with you. Skills I'm using are:

• Diamond Skin - Crystal Shell
  • Venom Hydra
  • Magic Weapon - Force
  • Energy Armor - Force
  • Magic Missle - Seeker
  • Blizzard - Rune that increases area
  • Galvanizing Ward
  • Glass Cannon
  • Astral Presence

Diamond skin is just a panic button for when I am vortex'd, jailed, etc.

i think as a ranged class you really need to play to the point of not getting hit

And this is why i'm waiting for Blizzard to just nerf Inferno, because that's not fun at all to play like that. Inferno for ranged is all about kiting non-stop, if you get hit even once, you're dead. It doesn't matter what you gear is, you could have perfect resists, everything is still hitting you for 100k in Act IV.

What i'm doing instead is working on getting the pony summoning staff for Inferno, it drops act III/IV gear, but is Act I difficulty. Still tough, but is arguably the best place in the game for gear right now.

Remember, Inferno isn't about beating it, that's arguably pointless unless you want the achievements. Can you comfortably kill the elite/champion packs, no matter their affix? Most of the grinding in Inferno right now is avoiding most of the elite packs, and just restarting the game in the hope that you get packs with affixes that aren't terrible.

Last edited:
Back