Did Honda's marketing strategy work?

• Thread starter spencer7x7
  • 30 comments
United States
'Murica
spencer7x7
Maybe it's just me, but I noticed that on the street (at least here in the USA) I see more Honda Fits on the road, does this have to do with the fact that it's the first car people get in GT6? Or do people just happen to buy it now. Also have any of you all bought a Fit(or Jazz or whatever) because of GT6?

Could be right, I also see a bit more Honda Jazz'/Fit' on the streets over here in Germany. But I doubt that we see more Honda Jazz' only because of Gran Turismo. You know, it's a small little city car which seems to attract young pepople (since I only see young people driving them).

It is just because everybody loves Honda. ;) It has lost its "old people car" name but still has its name to be very reliable. Therefore people start to admire Honda more and more. And off course the VTEC videos... It doesn't have to do much with gt6 but more by the trend going on for a few years now. It is a very distinctive brand.

LOOL no. People not buy cars because of GT6.

And if they did, it would be the opposite, they wouldn't buy Fits because its the first crappy car you have to buy in GT6.

Its not that crappy actually, its kinda fast FF when fully tuned, but still quite ugly and much slower than other, better cars.

Don't think GT6 has anything to do with this. It is just a cheap (to run), light and very practical car.
I know because I have one, but I only see old people driving them here in the Netherlands :lol:.
It is very slow, but if I need some speed thrills I can luckly have a ride on my Honda bike.

It is just because everybody loves Honda. ;) It has lost its "old people car" name but still has its name to be very reliable. Therefore people start to admire Honda more and more. And off course the VTEC videos... It doesn't have to do much with gt6 but more by the trend going on for a few years now. It is a very distinctive brand.
It falls into that perfect niche of being a car a twenty something might buy for their first car and being a car a forty something might buy for their kid's first car.

I'm pretty sure it's only because you are now more aware of the car than you were before. Same effect when somebody in the family or one of your friends gets a new car you suddenly notice that model much more often.

Exactly, when you get personal exposure via family, friend, or other means you sometimes notice those things more than you used to. I can think of a few times it has happened.

I'm pretty sure it's only because you are now more aware of the car than you were before. Same effect when somebody in the family or one of your friends gets a new car you suddenly notice that model much more often.

I was thinking that, but I would have remembered a weird little car like the Fit on the street. Maybe it's just me, but who knows?

This. It's a bit of confirmation bias, because you're looking for it (or aware of it) you notice it more than you did before.

This. It's a bit of confirmation bias, because you're looking for it (or aware of it) you notice it more than you did before.
Yup... My family bought my Great Aunts car after she couldn't drive, and were gonna sell it down here because we've never seen one... Lo and behold, they're everywhere.. (Deville)

I'd say in the grand scheme, American's of car-buying age comprise a pretty small percentage of GT6 players. I know two people who own Fit's who have never played any version of GT. I think it sells because of the Honda name and gas mileage. Nothing else.
LOL, I think you got that backwards! Try this: "GT6 players comprise a pretty small percentage of car-buying aged Americans."

Also have any of you all bought a Fit(or Jazz or whatever) because of GT6?
Not me, I generally buy American made cars. Out of the many many cars I have owned only one of them wasn't American made and that was a 1968 VW Beetle. In fact now that I think about it I have only owned 1 other car that was not made by either Ford or GM and that was an old Dodge truck can't remember the year 60s I think possibly early 70s but was an old POS when I got it. I did not have it long before I sold it.

From Honda in the FY ending July 2014 financial reports, reflecting overall sales increase of 4.5% globally for the fiscal year. 18.5% growth in Japanese market attributed to N-WAGON, VEZEL, and new Fit & Odyssey models. Small growth (1.5%) in USA attributed to the MDX, CR-V, Accord and Civic. Sales decreased in most other markets, though predictably China boomed (+26.3%) with sales increased credited to Accord, CRIDER and JADE Models.

Make of that what you will.

Being forced into buying a Honda Fit has actually put me off Honda as a brand somewhat, I think they have damaged their image with this move.

👎

Nobody wants to try the Honda Fit RS '10 first because that's how it works in GT6.
Which is why I'm thinking of trying a Smart car first, upon getting my license.

Over the place i live, i do see Honda jazz/fit but not like insane even thought Honda along with Toyota, Nissan, Chevrolet...etc is one of the most driven manufacturers over here but just last 2 weeks i went to a different country away from my place and literally Honda jazz/Fit's are everywhere in that part of town.

No, well before GT6 I convinced my gf to get a Jazz simply be insisting she drive one. She did have her heart set on a Nissan micra because 'they are so cute' and she was just going to buy one. But after driving the Jazz there was no going back because they are a great car in their class.

They look good and are well put together (for the price range), handle well enough and have excellent visibility. They don't need GT6 to sell them, they sell themselves.

The Fit basically replaced the Civic as Honda's entry level compact moving the Civic to midsize status. It's simple name shuffling and rebranding. It's commonplace in the automotive world and has been a practice for decades.

Highly doubtful GT has much more influence than basic brand exposure (which I'm sure manufacturers appreciate).

They are great little cars and I dont think GT had anything to due with there popularity. Its mainly the reputation from the brand itself along with their great gas mileage.

I think its design looks really cool, nice and sporty. I don't think the Fit being the first available car in GT6 has anything to do with it, maybe a coincidence? :lol:

it could be the exact opposite, in that PD made the fit the first car to buy because it was already popular...

I hope GT6 gets the new fit in the game.

The L15B engine is quite somthing.

But in the real world, the fit is a eco car and petrol prices are going up so why use a huge car when you can use a small one.

Back